The Waiting Game

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been off work since 17th December with a severe pain in my right leg, went to the doctors and was given tramadol and naproxen at first, which did nothing 2 weeks later went back and was given pregabalin 50mg, and morphine sulfate, still no pain relief, went to hospital because had numbness in certain area doc there ruled out cauda equine sorry about the spelling but did send me for emergency scan, came back as the lower thoracic and lumbar discs are degenerate with loss of normal disc height and hydration. A focal central disc bulge at L5/S1 producing narrowing of the spinal canal with impingement of thecal sac and impingement of the right exiting nerve root. A diffuse posterior bulge at L4/L5 producing narrowing of the spinal canal and impingement of the right exiting nerve root. 

Doctor referred me to local hospital beginning of Feb rang to see when I could expect my appointment was told you are a waiting list!! Medication upped now taking maxitram 150 mg, pregabalin 300 mg, oxycodone 5 mg, and amitriptyline 10mg, going to see private consultant tomorrow to see what he thinks,I think I will be fobbed off with the injection route first, so please what questions should I be asking and what should I be telling him to get something done ASAP ? Thanks for reading my essay but desperate to get back to normal and get a life, can't do anything haven't been out only to the doctors since December I want my life back. Once again thanks for reading and if you can help if anyone got the same problems as me what treatment did you have . Angie 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angie, I'm sorry you're in so much pain and hope you can get real help. I am awaiting MRI results to see what might be going on in my spine. Can you tell me what kind of scan you had on your spine? Sorry I can't be of any help...I'm just starting this journey of pelvic and thigh pain. Hope you get some help from fellow forum members. liketoknow
    • Posted

Hi had an MRI scan on 6 Jan just sick of waiting for things to happen, the pain we are all in is unbearable if we had a broken bone it would be sorted by now, hope you get your results soon,my pain is also in my thigh, was told had a burstis in my hip but kept telling specific doctor no pain in my hip it is my thigh pins and needles and numbness and terrible pain I kept telling my friend it's my leg, she was the only one who said I think it might be your back, I'm not very good at waiting especially when in so much pain, but feel fobbed off because it is only back pain. Good Luck on your journey
    • Posted

I spent years trying to get my doctor to send me for Mri and they told me it was muscle spasm.They said I would just have to put up with it for the rest of my life. I changed doctors and they sent me for a mri which showed a prolapsed disc at L5/St.Just another option.
  • Posted

I have exactly the same as you but in my left leg . Sometimes even in my right leg as well. .The more I stand and walk the more pain. They usually give you microdiscectomy first.I had 2 microdiscectomies both on L5/S1 and now the same as you waiting for a consultantation. Be careful if you go to a private consultant because sometimes The nhs won't take notice of them.I am now hoping they are going to give me a spinal fusion because fed up of all the pain.But you have to keep pestering them all the time to get things moving, I am talking from experience. Good luck. Dean.
  • Posted

Hi

I have been put in contact with my local pain clinic and if physio doesn't help they will perform Facet joint cortisone injections under live xray I have had this in my neck and it lasted about 8 weeks and then tailed off but it was a relief for a while

• Posted

Hi Graham, I had Facit injections and epidurals etc . Didn't work for me but that's not to say they won't work for you.They do work for some people. I think they start by going through a process of elimination.Hope it goes alright for you. Dean.
    • Posted

Hi Dean,

The facet joint injections gave some relief for about 6-8 weeks and then it returned to the normal pain level quickly

• Posted

Good for you. I would relish 6 to 8 weeks myself but it was not to be.Even the epidural which is very unpleasant.
  • Posted

I had urgent surgery with very formally things mu discuss had fused together. Broke off and pieced the thecal sac. I suffered serve nerve damage if u have read what I said I have a colostomy and urstomy stomas. I have had other things like hernias from the operation s to remove my bladder and do stomas. I am having another operation on the 12th I was left to suffer this cauda equine for 6 days I can't walk properly I sued and won. I still have bad back pain and have got loads of discus bulges. Read ur story I feel u need a operation the quicker the better. Before those discus come out. So don't take no for an answer these surgeon's leave it till its gone behold urgent. They soon change if they know they could have legal action. Do u suffer with bladder and bowel problem. I have established Cauda equine.
    • Posted

No I don't have caudal equine.But I do have nerve damage, I think personally it is due to not sorting it out early enough. I see you are having a rough time though.I have heard good and bad reviews about spinal fusion, but I haven't got much of a life now so I would try it if they say.To top it all off I have got a doctor from A to coming out to prove if I am fit for work. JOKE or what.Hope you get some help.Dean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.