The weather

Posted , 6 users are following.

Holy guacamole!  I was diagnosed with CRPS a few months ago, due to an ankle fracture.  I had actually made some good improvements and was hoping to get back to work in the very near future.  Enter the weather.  Humidity struck a couple of days ago.  So did rain.  And, so did intense pain and weakness.  Not my only problem but my lower legs feel like brittle, wooden stilts stuck in a vice grip.  Anyway, I'm not sure if the humidity is the problem or the humidity AND the rain.  I know I'll find out when the rain stops (humidity is here for a while).  Just wondering what your experience has been.  Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Moonlitt,

Welcome rain effects me as well and it nerve racking. Just when you think today may be a good day, think again. I have been out of the circle for a while but my pain remains. I had bunion surgery in 2013 on left big toe. They pain never went away. In 2016 i broke my left big toe thats when i found out I had Crps. Some times it feels like my foot is in a vice grip and almost impossible to stand.. I wish you all the best keep sharing. Sorry to cut it short but my pain is begining to intensify.

• Posted

Hi there.  

Weather affects me terrible. When we start to get warm weather I am feeling better it’s cold that is awful and rain. 

I would suggest baths wit epaon salts every day they can help my legs pain !! Really help 

• Posted

Hi Moonlitt,

You are not alone! I thought I was going crazy when this weather thing first kicked in for me... I initially thought rain itself was the problem, but during a couple of weeks of really erratic weather right after the surgery that was supposed to "fix" my knee(I'm posting on this forum so you know how THAT turned out), it became clear that it wasn't so much the rain, but the changes in barometric pressure. It didn't seem to matter whether the weather was wet or dry, cloudy or cloudless, etc., as long as the barometric pressure was pretty steady for a couple of days at a time. I can adjust to almost anything, but it takes time, so during rapid changes I feel like the kid at the birthday party, with the blindfold on, who gets spun around before trying to pin the tail on the donkey.

What did, and still does really do me in is when the barometer drops or rises a huge amount overnight, especially; I don't even have to get out of bed to feel that. Extra pain including headaches with visual disturbances, and digestive upsets as well as fatigue, come along for the ride as well.

And then there's cold weather, which is basically my kryptonite, especially if there's a stiff wind blowing. That can literally lock up my joints on my windward side if I'm walking to the car, or whatever.

It was big fun trying to explain this to the first neurologist I saw. He seemed like a pretty nice guy, but sure was looking at me like I'd suddenly started speaking Mandarin Chinese. Good times!

It helps to plan ahead, especially in spring and fall. Just have stuff you can do, or watch, or whatever is in your wheelhouse at the time, so you don't end up with days when you can't really get out of bed or off the sofa, and are bored, because boredom really makes you more depressed. If you can set goals, even teeny, tiny ones and accomplish them when weather is steady, you will be much happier. Then on the bad days, you can look around at the stuff you accomplished and feel good about it.

We're expecting a rainstorm in less than 30 minutes here...Time to make coffee while I can still stand without assistwink

Have a great day! smile

I

• Posted

Hmmm..I live in FL so I don't really get a difference in humidity, it's almost always here, just a bit less in the winter.  But, we are going to try to RV this summer out west so it will be interesting to see if the change helps, that would be most welcome.

Lynn

• Posted

Hello, the weather that causes a change for the worst for me has all ways been a cold front which is also a pressure change. Some times it rains sometimes not. These changes are worse in the fall thru spring also. It probably depends where you live also. I have had this pain for years and now when the sun goes down everyday it becomes terrible no matter the weather. Good Luck
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your responses.  It's been a few days now since my initial post.  The rain and humidity have both stopped.  The pain still exists but not as bad as before.  I have no clue wtf is happening.  Fun stuff.  Ugh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.