Therapy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please help me. I have had one therapy session. I am meant to go again on Tuesday. I am scared. I think i am getting anxious. I want to go and offload everything but don't know how to. My chest is tight. The thought of opening the door and going in terrifies me 

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nobody else can help you, you must help yourself, just force yourself and go, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose!!!  Good luck. x
    • Posted

Thank you for replying. I am going to try. Just feel low. Don't want to panic there. Embarrassed. Trying to control emotions.
    • Posted

DON'T be embarrassed and don't try and control your emotions, I broke down and sobbed in my doctors surgery beecause I felt so low.
    • Posted

Thank you. I am going to try and go. Just having a bad day. Trying to google what he'll ask so i can be prepared. Can't find much b
  • Posted

Hi,  well of course you are scared and I would be surprised if you weren't!   Going through therapy is very traumatic as you are talking about things which are very painful.   Your counsellor will have been well trained and it is part of their job to let you safely talk about difficulties you are having.  You won't be offloading everything instantly you know as this will take time. 

Be honest with your therapist and say you want to talk but are finding it very difficult.  S/he will be trained in knowing the right questions to ask to unlock some of your feelings so you can start talking about them.   It is a gradual process.  Don't forget it took a long time to feel like you do so it will take a long time to sort it.  Things don't happen overnight and and the same with your therapy. 

S/he knows what they are doing - just think of it as talking to your best friend and most all relax. 

• Posted

Wanted to add that you don't need to control your feelings as these are what you need to sort out aren't they?   Nor do you need to fear embarrassment - s/he isn't there to judge you but to help and will have heard and seen it all before lots of times.   So please go and tell them how you are feeling.  Ok?  
    • Posted

Thank you. I will. I'll read your reply again before going in. I haven't shared things for years with anyone. Feeling numb. I am a coward i think.
    • Posted

Do you know what questions he'll ask?
    • Posted

Al you are in no way a coward.  How can you be when you are facing up to painful events and feelings?  That is very brave believe me.  I never find it easy to talk either but a good counsellor will pick up on things as they are trained to listen.  He might say something like 'How do you feel about this'  They will be open ended questions aimed at exploring your feelings.  If it gets too intense for you tell him and he will slow down.  He is not going to push you too much and leave you an emotional wreck you know!  That is not the aim of the game. 

Therapy is to help you gain understanding of yourself,  to correct false assumptions and make sure the feelings are dealt with so you can finally move on.   Have courage my friend and see your counsellor as a good, trusted friend you can tell anything to.  Ok?  Bev x

• Posted

Thank you Bev. I'm glad you answered me. What you said means a lot. I'll read again and again to get some courage. X
  • Posted

Hi, there are some very good replies here....

I know it is scary, but they are not judgmental in any way....it really will help you, just unload as much as you feel able, then as time. Goes on ...it will get easier I promise you....they never push you to do or say anything.....I wish you well lovely....it WILL HELP XX

• Posted

Thank you. All your answers make sense. Wish i'd posted before. I have read them lots. Don't know why i'm like this. I know he's going to try to help and he was nice last time. He just asked difficult things that are hard to answer and think. I know that is what he should be doing.
  • Posted

I say offload evertything imagine how good it will feel the best part there will be more they will understand about you and the symptoms you suffer smile
    • Posted

Thank you. Maybe. I'll try!! Havent been honest with myself yet. I lied last week. Feel bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.