Therapy forms for foot paresthesia after ankle ligament injury?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a traction force on my ankle two years ago, and because of the following prolonged ankle pain I had MRI and was diagnosed with ligament injury in my ankle.

Since this traction occasion, I also started having paresthesia symptoms in my foot. Especially after walking with shoes, nowadays with other exercising also. Annoying tightness around the foot like some inner band tightening it, with feeling of the foot being numb. At that time the diagnosing focused only on MRI and this symptom was not well comprehended.

I´ve had physiotherapy (podiatrist) for my ankle, but because of this foot symptom becoming more chronic during the rehabilitation, I stopped going to this therapist. It seems he doesn´t have so much views on this symptom and hasn´t been talking or answering about the nerve problems that I myself have been concerned of.

I´m finally getting an ENMG examination done after a month. I hope it´s not an absolute nerve damage, but more functional nerve symptom... So it could still be tackled by more conservative therapy than surgery.

If the latter, I´m already pondering between three therapy options to continue with:

-omt-physiotherapist with knowledge of neurodynamic testing and exercises (sliders and tensioners)

-osteopath

-acupuncture

So I wonder if anyone has had help with paresthesia symptoms by some form of therapy? Or has some views of which way to go?

Thanks if anyone has any point of view!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i get pins and needles off and in in my ankle i had surgery 9 weeks ago after breaking the ankle in 3 places i have screws in broken bone as well as stabilization screw from one side of my ankle to other

some days my foot feels numb, some days it hurts, some days its almost normal and then i get the pins and needles ive been told its all part of the healing process

my friend has torn ligaments and in her foot and is due to have surgery

i think the foot/ankle takes a long time to feel better and maybe gives you some pain even after you heal

ive been going to Pt almost 2 weeks now and my ankle is feeling better

best of luck

• Posted

Thanks for the answer! Great that your ankle feels better, I hope the process continues well.

• Posted

I had some numbness in my foot after a fracture and after neuro testing with my physio (sports physio) he discovered it was a pinched nerve in my L5, probably caused from prolonged period of non-weight bearing and non active with my leg up, and from the limp when I was first learning to walk again. They did some traction, massage and manipulation of the joints and the numbness went away.

I also have a different paresthesia that presents like super cold toes when they are warm to touch which is caused by medication that I am on, this was present prior to the fracture. It is not always present, and gets worse for no particular reason.

Definitely look for a good physiotherapist. A sports physio or similar should be able to help you. Check if they use machines like ultrasound (not the diagnostic type), and if so don't go to them, you want a clinic that is hands on while you are there. If they have an exercise physiologist on team that is a bonus because an EP will because able to teach you strengthening exercises and work arounds if the damage is chronic.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer! Sounds like you have found a physiotherapist who knows what he or she is doing. I think I´ll try this one OMT-physiotherapist who should know more about nerve problems. I thought about osteopathy also since manual therapy is centered in their approach. And maybe keep acupuncture as an option too if hands on -techniques or exercises just won´t seem to help...

I hope your toes won´t get any worse than they are, with the coldness!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.