There is hope! I'm 7 weeks into treatment and I wanted to share some good news.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had anxiety since I was 17. I'm mid 30's now. I've just dealt with it over the years and thought it was something I'd have to live with.

I lost my Dad January 2017 to Cancer (56 y/o), and then 12 months later lost my stepdad on January 2018 (46 y/o). I was close to both and I seen both as male role models in my life. My stepdad was around for over 20 years of my life.

Everyone praised me on how I dealt with the deaths and how proud they were that I was dealing with it so well. But in reality I wasn't dealing with it. I was ignoring it. I was drinking daily.

It destroyed me. I was constantly angry and agitated. If you said the wrong word to me I would snap. I would get into vicious verbal arguments with my wife and we'd end up throwing phones up walls and what not. It was horrible and I am surprised the relationship withstood it.

I became housebound. I still am, but I'm waiting for therapy to start to deal with that. It got to a point where I wanted to die.

7 weeks ago I quit drinking. It was my final attempt at quitting and I had to do it because the alcohol was taking its toll on my health. I could feel it and I started to develop pitting edema.

My sleep had been terrible for months. I would sleep at 3am and then wake up every single morning at 6am to use the toilet. My poops were like clockwork. I had no idea what it was. I read it was a classic symptom of depression to wake up early but I didn't feel I had depression.

When I quit alcohol the depression and the rage was so bad. I got annoyed that my wife didn't agree that our son was in the wrong and I went into a manic rage. I picked up scissors and started slashed gashes in my wrist and punching myself. I looked like I'd been beaten up.

My wife left. At this point I was suicidal. I broke down in tears alone and I had 2 options. To hang myself, or to call 111. I thought about my mom and the people she has lost recently. I thought about her and decided I can not put her through more pain.

And that was the start of getting the help I desperately needed. The lady on the phone was amazing. She calmed me down. She made me see things rationally. 10/10 for the service. I was in tears on the phone to her and she was so sympathetic and helpful.

Following day I was in the docs. I was put on 100mg sertraline and put forward for therapy (which I'm waiting for). I'm now on 150mg.

This is the first time in my life I've realised how depressed I was. I thought I was normal! I thought everyone else had the problem. I didn't feel like I was depressed.

It's been 7 weeks and I'm starting to feel the benefits. Almost immediately my rage went when I started the tablets. I think it's because the side effects kicked my backside! I was wiped out for 2 weeks. Rarely even moved to go to the toilet.

I lost my appetite. I lost weight. I was so tired most of the time. There were days when I ate nothing at all. Turned me into a zombie almost initially.

After 4 weeks I was ready to quit them. I had the odd good day but it was mostly bad days in terms of side effects. At 5 weeks my appetite was slowly returning. I started feeling hungry. 

I'm just over 6 weeks in now. I am having more good days than bad days. I get about 4 good days a week when I feel great! But then 3 days where I feel meh.

My sleep is getting better. I no longer wake early and I can get some decent uninterrupted sleep.

I'm no longer angry. I haven't argued with my wife since! My son is much happier because the house is chilled and relaxed. Even the cat started coming to me! I think animals can sense when people are not feeling positive because he wouldn't come to me before.

I'm not completely cured I have the health anxiety and acrophobia to sort out, but I am feeling so much better. I never want to end up in that mess that I was in.

For years I've struggled to cope with anxiety, and the increasing depression. I thought there was no help me. I thought I was the exception to the rule and would forever be stuck in an an anxious state. The anxiety caused some pretty sever ectopic heartbeats that had me in A&E lots of times thinking I was dying. Since the depression and anxiety is under control I rarely get them!

I just wanted to post this and share my story that there is hope.

4 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Great story James, glad the medication is helping you. Are you taking therapy as well? Sounds like you have some things you need to talk out.

My mom and my brother passed away 2 days apart early in 2017 from different causes. Then my wife got really sick and was in hospital for 2 weeks. 2017 continued on like that with one thing after another after another. Finally my only living relative-and estranged sister-started making problems for my in Probate Court over my Mom's estate. That was the final straw, I started thinking life no longer had any worth for me and I'd be better off dead. I've had diagnosed depression since I was 38 years old and was put on Paxil at 20 mg/day, and that handled it for 25 years-but the string of events along with my medication 'pooping out' did me under.

Bottom line is my wife and Psychiatrist had me admitted to hospital for a week of inpatient/outpatient treatment and medication adjustment and I'm right as rain today-a month later. Sometimes all it takes is some rest, proper diet, therapy and a wee bit of adjustment (increased my Paxil to 30 mg/day) and that makes all the difference in the world.

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Stay away from the alcohol, it's a depressant. And focus on the Big 5-medication, therapy, diet, exercise and rest. That's the ticket!

• Posted

Praise the good Lord that you are better. I am smiling from 👂 to 👂🤗

• Posted

I think your story is very inspiring and well done on kicking the alcohol.  It is going to take a while before you start feeling better on a more permanent basis so be aware of that as it's common to also take steps back but you are on the road to better health so keep on and keep the faith alive.

There are many people who feel like you and men especially are statistically less likely to admit to a mental health problem and also to seek health. I have heard that in the Western world the most common cause of death of men aged 25-40 is suicide.  You are getting help which is great. 

We all understand here and you are no longer alone.  x

• Posted

So glad your getting the help u need I've been going thru hell too but I've finally been transferred too the mental health team now took a bit of time but I see light at the end of the tunnel too I don't drink alcohol at all now because my mental health and my family is more important too me than anything else . I used too enjoy a wee drink on s Saturday night but the depression feeling on the following days were hellish I never even made the connection about the 2 until I noticed a pattern thinking of you keep going xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.