There is Light at the end of the Citalopram and Clonazepam Road

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last year after a heart procedure I had severe anxiety attacks that would cause my blood pressure to sky rocket and awful warm sensations running through my body as well as terrible chest and throat tightening. I worked my way up through the side effects of Citalopram with the help of Clonazepam.  I was on 30mg of Citalopram and 2 Clonazepam pills a day to keep the anxiety from messing with my heart.  With the help of CBT exercises and the above medications the attacks stopped.  Months ago I decreased the Clonazepam to one pill a day (split in half) one in the morning and one at night.  I did have slight withdrawls and wanted to go back to the two but held on.  I am now on only 20 mgs of Citalopram for the next month and will cut it to 10mg.  Also, I am on 1/4 of a pill of Clonazepam and some days I try to skip it all together.  I am hoping to be completely off of everything in the next 4 months.  Although, I am not anti-meds I would rather not be on them.  I will always carry Clonazepam on me to take just in case and the psychiatrist agrees.

Just wanted to let people know that you can go from severe issues and with strenght of mind and learning breathing and other mental techniques you can get better.

All the best to everyone.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

thanks diane and good for you.  here i am hoping to start CBT soon and am going to really try to make that work

i also forced myself to go for a jog today, and will try to keep that up!

• Posted

I should have mentioned the exercise. I walk each day with my dog and ride a stationery bike. I try to use the steps at work instead of elevator. All these things help for sure.

Best of luck, I still have my days but it is so much better.

• Posted

Good for you Diane. I'm not sure what clonazepam is nor what you mean by CBT exercises. I'm back up to 40mg and still experiencing that barbed wire feeling in stomach. Hope it recedes soon

• Posted

CBT involves the Cognitive Method that deals with your Thoughts - to Emotions - to Behaviors and how it all affects you physically and of course mentally.

Clonazepam is really strong, but it worked for me much better than Ativan.  It is highly addictive but it kept me from getting anxiety attacks completely.  Ativan, Xanax etc help when you are experiencing panic or feel it coming on - Clonazepam keeps you from even getting to that point.  I am sorry and some days I still get the stomach issues - I have them today but not as severe as they once were.  I hope yours will recede.  Sometimes when I would go for a walk it would help relieve my stomach after the walk initially made it worse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.