There is no definitive agreed definition of Chronic urinary retention

Posted , 14 users are following.

Long story short..I had turp and it didnt cure my chronic retention but did improve flow and lowered actual post void measures.

I now self cath (at moment) between one and three times every 24 hours, to make sure my bladder doesnt overfill.

What is overfill, I ask myself. When my bladder is holding (usually) more than 300 mls I can p**s easier and I believe it is the pressure build up that helps me void. I my have to accept that my bladder muscles are compromised and not working properly & I understand that.

So I believe it is partly bladder contraction and partly just physics ...in that gravity and sheer pressure within the bladder helps me void...

Over and over I hear the magic figure of 400 mls as being the maximum amount of urine that our bladders should hold ...where does this figure come from.

If anyone can point to a study or empirical evidence for this figure being the maximum healthy amount a mans bladder should hold comfortably, I would be grateful, rather than find out it turns out to be a another meme, with no real evidence to back this figure up as being realistic and true.

A Uro surgeon mentioned to me one time that the bladder has urine in it 99% of the time and we do not walk around with an empty bladder. So ergo it makes sense that we walk around with the bladder holding urine if not all the time, then most of the time without any health problems.

So this brings me back to what volume can we walk around with (maybe) over 400mls for an hour or so without any health problems.?

I know that backing urine up the kidneys is bad but it can literally take litres in our bladder and UUT to compromise our kidneys in the first place.

Im just throwing this out to see if anyone has opinions on what our bladder can actually cope with for years without real health problems....in the real world..:)

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, Turp must have helped you to some degree, Did you have total chronic retention,{no natural void"} before turp?and now, do have a natural void? I have been doing CIC 3 years and it's getting to me now. Did you ever start to bleed when doing catherizing? If yes how long did it take for you to stop bleeding?I would like to know about the after effects of having Turp?I want to thank for this info,as I don't know yet whether i want to do turp? Still confused ,perhaps your info on this Procedure Turp,would help me.This forum has knocked Turp so much ,it had me totally confused ,to have done ,or not.

Thanks

frank,

• Posted

Frank, do you bleed doing CIC ? What catheters are you using ?

• Posted

I was voiding before Turp but I had chronic retention holding way to much ...now between natural voiding and cathing I seem to be able to keep retention down to below 400mls...I have cathed as little as 180 mls at times & realise that I am voiding more naturally in between. (often sitting & pushing)

I use speedicaths size 12f. They seem fairly good. I was using Hollister vapro pockets but found them to stiff and just felt less sensitive going in......

After surgery for several weeks when I cathed I did produce some blood which I understood, as I believe I was disturbing the healing process when entering and withdrawing the cath....I do not bleed now, when cathing.

One problem I have is I do not sleep well and was taking Phenergan, to aid sleep. However It is supposedly not good for the bladder and can relax the muscles which isnt what I want.

I crave a good nights sleep with no anxiety..1 tablet of Phenergan gave me some good sleep...

I have had differing effects after my turp...from continuous irritation in my penis (stopped now) to infections which took a while to clear up with antibiotics twice..I believe my hygeine routine was good, so I think it was the surgery effects that gave me the infections. When I void standing now I feel much less stimulation before the stream starts and it is weak at times unless my bladder is around 4/500 mls full. Then it can be a good stream and I actually feel happy when I pee like that...it differs from day to day. If I drink a few glasses of water close together then my bladder fills quite quickly and I have a greater chance of a good stream. If I drink coffee or tea then that takes time to go through my bodies filter system and it feels like If I void ir is less urgent during the following few hours or so...

Frank 27027....One thing I do know is it takes months for things to change...I am still hoping my bladder gets stronger and works better as time goes by...I dont think obstructions are a problem now I think it is my bladder..

you can message me if you have any questions...

• Posted

You should make sure that post void retention is less than 100 ml - so until you can do that naturally, you should self cath after each void.

• Posted

Hi,i've been reading your forum. I hope your feeling better. I just had another problem, doing cic i started a gross hematuria ,bleeding continued till i went to ER, they put a foley catheter in me . I don;t know why I had to cath 12 x one ,then 9x -8 x,my regular caths are 6 x a day. I never had any procedure ,and now after 3 years of CIC i might get the Turp.What scares me is the possible infections,i had C-diff ,i hope you never get this.After reading your forum you alerted me that this could happen.

Did you have a lot of pain after the Turp Procedure?

thanks so much for this info,

frank,

• Posted

Frank, look into suprapubic catheter (SPC). If you decided on TURP, ask for bipolar TURP. It's much less bleeding than the regular TURP.

Stop CIC. Self cathing is not for everyone, as some vendors faking to be posters on this forum claimed. It

• Posted

Disagree. No reason to stop self cathing if it isn't causing a problem. Foley's are much harder to live with IMO.

Don't do a TURP unless you're really desperate and nothing else is available. See if you can get Rezum (first choice) or Greenlight (second choice) OR Holep (third choice) before doing a TURP. All but Rezum work well when done with experienced hands, but all but Rezum can cause permanent really devastating side effects when botched. With Rezum, the biggest risk is that it doesn't work - a good reason IMO to start there if you can.

• Posted

No reasons ??? Frank often had to self cath 10, 12 times a day, and with such bleeding that needed ER. No one needs to suffer that.

Re Rezum, Rezum is not very effective, especially for people with bad retention, as trial data have surfaced recently. It worked on some people, yet failed on many as you have seen on this forum.

• Posted

He had that problem initially but has been doing it for years. Foley's suck. Also, Rezum is as effective as any other treatment for people with bad retention. It won't solve bladder issues, but by removing the obstruction, the lack of straining allows bladders to often rehab. Whatever the results with retention are with Rezum, they are likely to be the same with TURP, Holep or Greenlight.

This forum is purely anecdotal and populated almost exclusively by people with questions and problems post procedure. Nothing here should be used as anything more than a cautionary tale as almost no one who gets a procedure, has it work and is happy decides to post those results unless they had asked questions here first. So the results are WAY biased on all procedures to the negative.

• Posted

Foley sucks but cathing 10, 12 times a day and bleeding profusely out of your penis is a lot worse, imho. He's been having problems with CIC for a long time, and still having it. I cathed for 3 years with frequent bleeding so I know how it is. I am not suggesting Foley either. SPC is a better choice in this case.

If you looked at trial data results, all procedures are not the same. Comparing to HoLep, Turp, or Greenlight, the rest, including Rezum and Urolift, are basically bandages. Sure. there's the issue of retro ejaculation that's more likely to happen with hoLep, turp, or GL.

As far as post procedure PVR retention improvement, if my memory is correct, for Urolift it's 0 ml, 35 ml for Rezum and PAE, 150 ml for TURP, 190 ml for HoLep. So they are not the same.

• Posted

They are the people whose experiences are then reposted her forever by others

I just stick around to say that my GL and Thulium/Holmium procedures on 75 grm and 135 grm prostates were quick recovery and sucessful. No ones fault that the prostate being the weed that it is regrew again. After my last one in 2013 the surgeon suggested that I take Avodart for life to prevent regrowth. I asked if at my great age it had time to do that. He replied perhaps not. Even if it did another of the laser procedures would be no problem. Easier than a wisdom tooth removal or a root canal 😃

• Posted

I don't think those numbers are close to right. Can you source them? Band aid - many people only need one procedure - but if I need Rezum every 5 years or so, not the end of the world. 6 annoying weeks with full function for many years of not worrying about the bathroom. Derek 76 has said the same about Greenlight.

• Posted

I am not against Rezum or Urolift. They are useful for some people, though not as effective and lower success rate. I just don't like well trusted people making misleading statements like :"All procedures are the same." They can make less informed people make wrong decisions.

As far as sources, I posted many of them a year ago when kenneth1955 was making the same statement about Urolift. At that time, no data was available for Rezum. Now however they are available, all you need to do is Google Rezum vs Turp, or Rezum vs hoLep.

5 years for Rezum ? Tell that to those many people on this forum that had no improvements or worse off. Of course, you can always blame the bladder, using a common excuse from incompetent uros. I used to believe that until I read the trial data results for different procedures. They are all out there. Read them up.

• Posted

Just saw my urologist laser surgeon this morning here in Vietnam. After reading about Laser treatment being pretty safe these days I decided I wanted it after years of worsening BPH symptoms. Besides giving me antibiotics (CEFUROXIME AXETIL) to clear the infection, he also gave me solifenacin and alfuzosin to "cure" me.

4 weeks later, he has certainly got rid of infection, but also reduce BPH symptoms. I pointed out that I didn't want to be on drugs for the rest of my life, but he said there is a good chance I will lose my libido long term (50%!) if I do this.

If the doctor sounds that pessimistic it means he'd rather not operate, so drugs it is!

I don't know which laser they are using.

• Posted

Hi hanki, Yes this last time ,i could not CIC thick blood,went to ER they put a foley catheter in .It's been seven days ,and my urine color clears up to pale yellow,then goes back to light red. Have you had a problem anything like this?

frank,

• Posted

Yes Frank, it happened to me few times before, serious bleeding out of the penis, from self cathing. I have not had any bleeding for 6 months now, after I switched to softer catheters.

The Foley should help. Just be careful walking around because it can cause minor bleeding, from the Foley rubbing and scratching the urethra.

• Posted

You should ask him in English terms, what procedure he is offering. Are you living in Vietnam ? I rather mine done here in the US.

At least he warned you of the side effects. Some doctors failed to do just that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.