There Really IS Light After Turning the Corner

Posted , 6 users are following.

I will be at wk 12 left tkr this Monday, the 16th. I am FINALLY able to say I am glad I had the surgery! That is such a miracle to me.

Not to say I no longer have any issues, but what a transformation! I am able to walk around the house without a cane OR a limp!! I use my cane when I go out to work or shopping, mostly as a security blanket. I honestly did NOT think I would ever get to this point!

I still have stiffness, still have muscle spasms on the inside of my knee, still have some swelling; but there is such an amazing change!

I don't know how I would have gotten through without this forum! I am so very appreciative for all the words of encouragement provided.

To anyone in the early stages, please be patient (a difficult task for me) and follow the advice of your medical providers. It really DOES get better!

YAY!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debz really nice to read something positive again on this site - well done and may your recovery continue- I do not think it is very constructive for people to keep coming on this help group complaining and winging about every little twinge or ache -  surley the more positives that are posted the better it will be for evryone.  I am now facing TNR  at 7am on 30th November after a very long wait,. Also after trying every remedy available in the UK from Synvisc injections at £500 a shot to Steriod injections at £600 a shot. After a final last ditch consultation with one of the leading re-construction knee surgeons in the UK to see if I would be suitable for this new procedure whereby the knee is re-surfaced and an artificial cartlige inserted, unfortunately, I was told that my wear and tear was too severe for this treatment and advised to stick with the TNR - Bupa have been fantastic and have helped and supported me all the way and can not thanks their support team enough. I will be back on this site after my operation and beleive you me  I will  be positive. 

All the best with your recovery

Jude UK 

• Posted

Hi Debz,

That is really good news!  I'm at 9 weeks and I feel really good one day and then really feel sore the next day.  I have a home rehab business so I have been sanding floors and I think the getting down on the floor and getting back up takes it's toll, so it's probably my fault.  I work a few hours and then back to ice and my recliner.  I can tell how good the knee is because my left knee is due for surgery on Dec. 17th and it hurts so bad.  I can't wait until it

feels as good as the right.  Keep up the progress!

• Posted

Thank you both! It has been a difficult struggle, and it is wonderful to be glad I had the tkr.

I wasn't a candidate for the cartilage replacement, which was a disappointment, as that certainty seemed the easiest fix.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Great to hear your good recovering news. I shall be 10 weeks post L TKR on 16 Nov 2015.

I too am now feeling I've turned a corner. I updated this same feeling at the 7 week stage then spoke too soon after then having a bad week after I returned to the pool.

I did 4 sessions of walking back and forth to strengthen my damaged knee muscles. I have now begun to swim approx 20 lengths 3 times a week. This was the reason for my taking 2 steps backwards last week.

Because I usually swim 1/2 mile 3 times a week, I may have done too much too soon and may need to scale back a little for a while.

I can walk outside shopping etc without a cane, though this is sometimes difficult. And my knee definitely feels 3 times its normal weight and it's still stiff and it still aches.

Saw Physio yesterday and have a 124 bend. My extension, though not yet zero, is getting there with lots of exercise 3 x daily.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I thank this forum for supporting me through the early weeks when I was in a horrid place and feeling depressed. The encouragement and positivity I gained from fellow sufferers on this site has been invaluable.

Hang in there, things will get better.

• Posted

Swim with flippers. But don't use them. Just little flutters and use your arms.
    • Posted

Thanks Margaret. Glad to hear it is better for you, too!

I still haven't had the time for swimming yet. I think that will have to wait until I am finished with my pt.

Yes, this site definitely helps get through the feeling of despair in the early days!

• Posted

Good for you. I'm 10 weeks and also starting to feel better. This group is awesome
    • Posted

Thank you, and glad you are feeling better also.
  • Posted

I also felt a big change at 10-12 weeks, really noticing achievements like being able to walk longer distances, swimming,  managing the stairs much easier and with greater confidence, less swelling and numbness (tho it still hasn't completely gone at 6 months), much less need for icing, confidence to dance.  The only pain I have had after 3 months is when I have overdone exercising or dancing.  And that is more just a tiredness than a pain.  Get short sharp nerve pains, like little electric shocks, but this is a great thing telling me that the nerves are finally recovering. When I think about how I was struggling to get around this time last year and the terrible pain of weight bearing, the whole recovery from bilateral TKR has in fact been a relief. While it has certainly been frustrating at times, the outcome is well worth any suffering to get there. 

Best decision I ever made going bilateral. Just one recovery, and it really was not as difficult as I was expecting, and probably not that much worse than going through it with one.  And now I don't have to go back and face another recovery all over again 

love my new clunky, fat knees.

to everyone in the difficult early weeks, stay positive knowing that it only gets better. 

Best wishes frim

Alison

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.