There's no air

Posted , 7 users are following.

whats with the heart skipping and feeling like air just isnt going in. ill have that all day. im going crazy. went to dr said my oxyegen was 98 and he kept looking at me like im crazy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Jaynie - i have experienced this before so i know how scary this is - i went to my allergy dr & was put on all kinds of allergy/asthma Rx's & the dr didnt say it in so many words but basically said that it was caused from flucuating hormones. it was nice to have the Rx's in my back pocket, but i remember taking a xanax to calm me down because i was getting so amped up about feeling lke i couldnt breathe - the xanax did help me relax - also, a steamy shower helped too - good luck! this too shall pass -

• Posted

he is trying to put me on zolof. i just dont understand it ill be perfectly ok then it jyst feels like imsuffocating. im so over it. thank u for responding. it helps to know all this stuff someone else is going through. not that i want anyone going through this. it sucks. anyway thank u

• Posted

hi Jaynie - my "air gasping" attacks would come on mostly in the late afternoon thru evening & the allergy dr said that was when your cortisol was low??? not sure how that all works but whatever - i carry around XANAX & ATIVAN, not that i ever really take them, but i know they are there (i have lowest dosage) they are both for anxiety. i dont know anything about anti depressants except every dr wants to put menopausal woman on them - i think they dont know how to help, so thats their "cure-all" - i think you will find this gasping for air thing is temporary - just try to calm yourself in some way -

• Posted

I know how you feel. I feel the same way. My oxygen level was at a 98 too. I was having trouble with my blood pressure. The doctor put me on a blood pressure medication. I couldn't take it because I felt as if my chest was getting tight and I started coughing. She told me that that can happen in patients with asthma and that I may have a slight case of asthma and I told her that I do get short of breath and feel as if my chest is tight, that it happens mostly when I am working hard and am very active. She gave me an inhaler of Albuterol to try. It doesn't help much but I may be using it wrong. I'll have to try it again. I don't know if it's peri-menopause that's brought it on or what. Not very happy about it though.

Thanks for writing in. I know I'm not alone.

• Posted

Jaynie...I’m very sorry your doctor looked at you like you’re crazy, I think if we all were paid a dollar for every time these doctors did that, we’d have 50 bucks in the bank;) it sounds to me like you’re having the heart palpitations, during menopause they’re called SVT‘s, try that Valsalva movement and then try to do some deep breathing. It sounds like the palpitations could be causing anxiety, and then you might be having trouble breathing due to that. However during perimenopause I doing remember having trouble breathing. Do you still get your period? I remember years ago I was waiting at the gynecologist office and I read an article about a certain Type of asthma women get only during their period. I wish I would’ve flipped off that article because I never saw another one since and I never found anything on the Internet about it at that time either. market on your calendar to see if it’s worse when you ovulate and when you have your period if you don’t get your period anymore and your post menopausal still market on the calendar because we still good he’s crazy symptoms when we are supposed to be ovulating and when, I guess, we originally used to get our periods. My pharmacist said our bodies are still trying to ovulate and produce a period. it’s almost like our bodies are retaliating because they can’t do what they used to. TRy to stay away from caffeine because it will make heart palpitations worse.

• Posted

no period for 2 years now. all this just hit me outta the blue. been to the er been to dr they just look at me funny .my blood pressure was a little high but oxyegen 98. t i think its easier to blame it all on anxiety. even the nurse was like oh thats not common for menapause. really?? then what is it??

• Posted

This is so me right now. I try taking a deep breath and it feels like hardly any air went it. I also have feeling on discomfort in my chest and shoulders. seeing my doctor Monday. Having other peri symptoms too like pain in one breast,bad mood swings, fatigue so im hoping this new symptom is part of it all too and nothing else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.