Thermal Injury In esophagus with lasting effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Around 5 weeks ago, I ate a piece of food that was very hot. I drank water as soon as I could but soon after, I began to feel discomfort in my esophagus. I knew almost instantly it was going to be a rough ride.

I've been to my doctor and for the last 2 weeks have been on Omeprazole (20mg) as prescribed by the nurse I saw in UCC. Even now I still feel discomfort in my chest, a slight burning sensation every now and then. I wasn't given a roadmap for potential recovery time and I'm concerned that this isn't getting any better. Perhaps most annoyingly, the nurse didn't prescribe any pain meds - so I'm basically feeling the full effects of this.

What steps should I take next? Should I wait 4-6 weeks (as I've read online) or should I go to my GP and press for a more in depth look? I'm quite concerned about all this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Was the food spicy hot or temperature hot? If it was spicy hot, the PPI will help. If the food burnt your throat, this will take time to heal and since you say the burning is slight and every now and then, this suggests, it is healing. Try taking anti inflammatories for the pain which can be bought over the counter. Your don't need your doctor to prescribe them. Everyone's healing time is different; that's probably why you weren't told how long it would take to heal. Calmly wait it out for 4-6 weeks. Try some milk to soothe the discomfort.

I burnt my throat with boiling rice, I waited it out and the pain went away; scalds do heal up.

• Posted

That's very reassuring to hear. The food was, rather embarrassingly, fish fingers.

The feelings behind my chest bone so it's in a very weird position, one that I'm not use to feeling consistent pain in.

I'll wait it out as you said.

• Posted

Take a cold drink with your meals and sip it with each mouthful if the food is hot. I'm surprised your were prescribed a PPI for a scalded throat. Omeprazole is used for treating heartburn. Don't be too embarrassed by the type of food that scalded you. Any food can irritate your throat if it is too hot.

• Posted

I do greatly appreciate the feedback. I tend to over think some things; this has been keeping me up with worry.

I'll take more care with my fish fingers in future.

• Posted

I've injured myself more times than I can remember during childhood because of my dyspraxia and autism. I am a lot better than I used to be because I have learned coping mechanisms to avoid trips and falls. However, over the years, the injuries have left things behind such as neuropathy , causing pain, tingling and numbness down my leg, foot, arms and hands. While these things are uncomfortable, I have become used to it and I have to alternate which hand I use because of the numbness which has led on one occasion to a complete loss of power in one hand for a few minutes.

For me, I am past the stage of worrying about it because it has happened so often. Worry doesn't make anything any better and can irritate the gut which I have done as well giving myself reflux and IBS from stress. I have to try to avoid stress as much as possible now to keep my stomach and bowel happy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.