Thermal Spring Water - Can you test this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all,

I've started laser hair removal, not so much as a treatment for HS, but more to help me be more comfortable when I do have flare ups and so that I don't have to worry about excess hair from the impossibility of shaving. Anyway, after the treatment the clinic will apply aloe vera gel and then a spray of thermal spring water (it's Avene brand but La Roche Posay and Vichy also do them and I expect they're all rather similar). I actually have a bottle of thermal spring water spray at home already so I looked up it's properties again. Basically it is full of minerals that can soften the skin and help to soothe sensitive or inflamed skin. I found a review from someone who mentioned that her husband uses it on his face after shaving to reduce ingrown hairs and that it has been really effective for him. I've kept using the spray about once a day on my face and underarms and have noticed a HUGE difference as I had a few stubborn cysts that had been sticking around for months and occasionally re-opening that have now almost disappeared after using the spray for a few months. I haven't been using it on my inguinal area and it's as bad as ever there. I'd love for some others to try it and see if it helps them? All it takes is a spray once or twice a day, it literally could not be easier. Anyone fancy giving it a shot to see if it helps them? I wasn't expecting it to do much but I really do think that it's helping so it would be great to find out if it benefits anyone else. There's not much else that I'm doing for it that could be effecting my HS as I'm not currently on any medication for it. Could be laser hair removal, but if so I feel that my inguinal area would be better also and it's actually worse. Let me know!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thank you so much for the info. I have a few follow up questions. I too suffer from this disease. If you don’t mind me asking,  How much was the laser hair removal and did it hurt?! I don’t want pain but it if works I don’t care. Just want to know what I’m getting myself into. I’ve heard the laser hair removal totally helps. 

As for the thermal spring water spray. How much does that cost? Sorry to be so forward on price of things but I’m tight on money but want this gone for good. 

• Posted

Hi,

The laser hair removal legitimately feels like being flicked with a rubber band. Some areas I can’t feel it’s much and then in others it can be quite sore but it’s over quickly. I think it’s more painful where hair is denser. I noticed a pretty drastic improvement from the first treatment, but the problem for HS is that you need to shave before the treatment and then I find that the shaved down hair follicles can get stuck in their pores. That hasn’t actually been as big of a problem as I thought it would be for cysts, but it does cause the occasional blocked pore. Treatments are 6 weeks apart and only last about 20 minutes for me - I’m doing underarms and bikini line. I heard that it helps for maybe a month but not really in the long term. I’m really doing it for comfort and confidence sake instead of as an actual treatment for HS as I actually feel more self conscious about the body hair than the cysts/scars.

As for the thermal spring water, my underarms have seriously never looked so good. I still have a couple of persistent cysts that won’t go away but they reduced in size and have remained closed since I’ve been using the water spray. My skin feels softer as well and no blocked pores where I would normally have lots. There are different sizes of the Avene spray cans and they do both a pocket sized one and a really big one. From boots it’s £4.50 for a small pocket can, £8.50 for a regular size, and £13 for a big one that’s double the size of the regular. It’s not the cheapest but it does last a long time and you could try out a small one to start if you fancied it. I’m starting to use it on my bikini line as well and I think it’s feeling a bit better but too soon to tell I guess.

I’ve honestly just started to treat my HS as if it’s acne as I feel that it’s my pores being clogged that leads to gland inflammation and causes the cysts - Maybe a hormonal change to sebum that makes it denser than usual? Just speculating but so far it’s working where no medical treatment ever has.

Let me know how you get on with these if you do decide to try either the laser or spray!

• Posted

UPDATE: I’ve been using thermal doing water on my underarms and bikini line for some time now and the improvements are really dramatic. I have had only ONE cyst under my arm which was when my can of thermal water ran out, and my bikini line has gone from frequent horrible cysts, to very few. I haven’t been using it for as long on my bikini line so I’m hoping to see more improvement there, but I do wear tight jeans often and know that’s bad for it.

I used it on my underarms only first to see if it was the laser hair removal that was helping but I was still getting bad cysts on my bikini line until I started using the spray.

I SERIOUSLY recommend people try this. It’s like it softens my skin and stops the sebum from becoming thick and blocking pores. It’s completely pain free and could not be simpler to use, it takes two seconds to apply and I keep it next to my bed to use when waking/going to bed. NOTHING has ever worked like this for me. 

• Posted

This is great news! I'm so so glad it's working for you!! I bet it's such a relief!! Thanks for the update.

I quit smoking back on the 7th and finally started seeing my lumps that I've had for a good solid year disappearing! I was so happy......until yesterday, I noticed I was having a massive flare up in my arm pits and groin. I'm going to start an elimination diet to see if it's something I'm eating. I know smoking had something to do with it for sure but I'm thinking there is another trigger with something else I'm ingesting.

But I went ahead and bought the thermal spring water spray. Can't hurt, right? Wish me luck! Hopefully it helps as much as it has you!!!!! I'll keep you updated!

• Posted

Hi again! Great to hear that you’re quitting smoking. It’ll be good for you even if it doesn’t help with the HS itself, of course. 

I hope the spring water helps you! Maybe it’s just me, but I hope that it works for others too. It’s such a simple thing to do so no harm in trying! 

Unfortunately the roaccutane/isotretinoin that I’m starting to take this week means that I can’t continue with my laser hair removal so I have to wait the 4 month course of medication and then another 6 months after that before I can start the laser treatments again! Argh! At least my clinic can just hold the appointments that I’ve already paid for and pick them up later, but it’s a pain.

• Posted

Thanks! I’m glad I did quit. Not just for HS but for their reasons. smile

I’m excited to try the spray. I’ll let ya know how it goes. 

I’m sorry you can’t continue your lazer surgery for quite a while! That’s good the clinic can help you pick up where you left off though. I hope this medication helps you with the reason you are taking it though. smile

• Posted

I started only smoking 5 a day for a week, then 4 a day for a week and continued to cut down 1 a week until I was down to 1 a day. Then I did the 1 a day for a week and then quit. I told my co-workers/friends and family that I was quitting so they could hold me accountable. I also had my husband keep the pack of smokes in his car and I had to ask him for my daily limit. It’s tough but doable. It’s really mind over matter. Once you get past the first few days you’ll start feeling more confident. Anytime I crave one I just think of how much pain those boils cause and how much I want them gone. It takes 15 mins to get over a craving so stay busy.  Breath mints and gum help with oral fixation. There are some apps you can download on your phone to help as well. 

I really hope this advice helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!!!!! ❤️

• Posted

I saw someone else say it helped, I have a boil in my crack that is a literal pain in the arse haha I'll try it out. I'll try anything. I too have gotten laser under my arms and have since stopped using regular deodorant and switched to natural deodorant and notice I don't get bumps anymore.

I'll order the spray in Amazon and see how it goes on this 7 month old boil.

• Posted

I’m trying to get my hs under control on my groin and bikini area. Guess it won’t hurt to try the avene thermal spray. Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.