Thermometer Question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, everyone...

Just a quick one regarding temperature taking.  Worrying about my thyroid, I've been keeping an eye on mine using a couple of digital thermometers for some time, with both makes offering similar results.  My temperatures first thing in the morning are very low, typically 35.3C (95.54F), but I've been wondering for some time about the accuracy.  My curiosity was heightened today when I saw a comment from a lady online saying she leaves hers in after the beep as the temperature continues to rise.  I found this to be true, and now I'm terribly confused... which reading do I go with?  In doing it this way, a temperature I took this evening was pretty much normal, yet I suspect I would still be under 36.5C (97.5F) first thing in the morning - does the morning temperature carry more weight in regards to thyroid function? 

Thanks in advance for any answers,

James. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Typo - 36.5C would be 97.7F.
  • Posted

It's hard to say how accurate this technique is, because for myself.. I have always had a low body temp.  Even now, being on thyroid medicine and my TSH levels hanging around 1.00 (which is nowhere near hypothyroid), my body temp is still low.  most of the time around 97.1.   So, yes, I would not rely on this alone look for thyroid problems.  Your best bet is going to a doctor to get the appropriate blood work.

• Posted

Hi James. My temp has been pretty consistent over the years, but when my thyroid went totally wonky, I tried testing at home. My digital thermometer measured so low that I know it couldn't have been that low. I gave up trying to take my temperature at home because it was obviously not accurate. I figured I just had a crap thermometer.

i wonder if you'd have better luck with a manual old fashioned thermometer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.