These are getting worse, how do I stop then?

Posted , 2 users are following.

having suffered with PTSD probably over 20 plus years, you'd think i'd know what to do but yet again awful panic attacks are a regular occurrence, not to do with every day life but assault, my chest hurt, it feels like i'm dieing, i feel nauseous, i shake, i sweat and the sense of fear is MASSIVE! how do i deal with them as they're happening anywhere, who do i speak to about this (apart from my counsellor). anyone got any ideas APART from antidepressants. thank you for reading.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

hi Sam

poor you. I am a mom to a teenager going through similar circumstance. I do feel where to get information and i can speak to, just as my son suffers. I am glad for this forum. I get replies and I feel people do care. Do write here and someone somewhere will give you hope and you will recover. Kindness is powerful. I am not all religious but I found a Buddhist monk on youtube callled Ajahn Brahm.His talks help me in times of trouble. It's just an idea. I hope you feel a bit better Sam. We help one another to get back to good health. Take good care.

• Edited

hi one, it's so kind of you to reply back as nobody else has yet! at times this feels like torture! i find this really tough to speak up about as i was forced to sweep this under the carpet at the time! i understand what your son is going through, is your son's related to the army? that's where most people feel PTSD stems from. you can p.m whenever you want and when i see your messages i will respond back. bless your son i hope he gets on ok.

• Posted

hi Sam

No my son is not in the army. In fact he is such a sensitive guy that seeks justice for everyone. He cares for all and just wants to make sure everything is ok for others...in doing so he neglects himself. When he started high school, all changed as the order of the day is rule by fear. He found that he cannot help others and is further tormented when he is punished for things like being a minute late to another class as he was speaking to a teacher. So his silence in tolerating these bullies 'teachers' and schook staff really took a toll on his mental health. It's not ptsd from a war or having witnessed horror. it's trauma nevertheless as he experiences it. The schools here are continuing their rule by fear and have now installed Isolation booths to 'keep' disruptive kids away. They will sit in booths facing a wall and are totally at the mercy of the teacher in charge. I know of a boy who got so dehydrated and started to feel faint as he was not allowed to leave to get some water, neither did they bring him some water. All in the name of 'doing the right thing in disciplining children'. These kids are not bad at all, they are vocal as they seek the truth. They refuse to be silent and somehow the schools use these punishments, long detentions to instil fear in them. Somehow the schools succeed. Its traumatic and we will see a generation of mentally ill young adults emerging soon. So much for all the talks about improving mental health in Britain. It's a shame as children cannot get mental health assistance on their own; nobody knows how they feel as most parents trust the school. The excruciating mental turmoil my son has been put under by his high school due to his attendance is just not what he needed. He has chronic migraine and has to stay in a dark room and will throw up in order to be rid of the horrible pain. His attendance was not brilliant but he has a medical condition. The school relentlessly pursued him to up his attendance. I got letters from them and they troubled my son as the school would say things like they will inform higher authority etc. All uncalled for. My son got 10 A*s and As in his GCSEs. The school terrifies parents saying with every day not in school the grades will suffer by 'this much'. This is no way to raise our young ones. There is no respect for them as individuals but instead cowed into a system of fear us or else. Guess you can see now why my son is where he is today. I wish I had sent him to a private school from the beginning no matter the crazy cost. His mental health would be preserved and that is of utmost importance. I don't know if parents are reading this but be aware. Many things go on in school which can be worse than in prisons.Hear your children out. All is not what it seems. We must respect their views as more often than not, we learn a lot from their wisdom.

• Edited

hi one, i don't know what school your son goes to but the behaviour of the staff is bang out of order. it would be worth speaking to other people like your county council about this. they deal with schools and need to be made accountable for their actions. i apologise that i didn't understand the situation and i really hope your son gets the support he so obviously and desperately needs and you, it must be exceptionally draining,i am so sorry. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.