These current symptoms and tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Recently I've had a sudden change in my kidney habits.

I've had protein in my urine for about 2 months now then recently I've had a lot of blood in my urine and blood tests have shown I also and anemic.

My symptoms are

- hand and ankles swelling and puffing around my eyes

-sudden urge to have to urinate

-blood all the time

-feeling a bit confused

-protein in the urine

- blood pressure all over the place

Also in 2013 In had hydronethrosis mildly. Anything like this happened to anyone. ??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I would ask your dr to carry out a 24 hour urine collection as this gives a more acurate reading of the actual protien loss.

Have you had a sore throat or anything like that recently or has your urine been dipped for infection?

The reason I ask is when I was 13 I had a throat infection which turned into a really bad urine infection which for some reason was left undiagnosed, despite my mother taking me to the doctor, my urine was pure blood and I had similar symptoms to you. Please keep going back until this is sorted.  I would ask for blood tests to see what your kidney function is, also your creatinine levels.  If you are really concerned ask to be referred to a nephrologist.  Good luck

• Posted

Hello thank you for replying !!

I have had no sore throats or infections anywhere. The GP dipped my urine and there was no infection present. They referred me to urology as urgent and was seen after the referral went through 4 days later. I'm going down on the 5th to have biopsy's, and a look under general anaesthetic.

• Posted

Hi,

We are funny things us humans lol.  Biopsy under general, I suspect if its urology you will have camera's etc to check further up your bladder hence the general.  Best that way, although a biopsy alone under local is ok to (I had 3, 2 on my own kidney and 1 on my transplant).  It is really good that you are being seen so quickly and all the investigations carried out. Good luck with everything, do let me know how you get on with everything won't you. smile

• Posted

Hello sorry for the slow replies

Still no infection or nothing unusual on investigations. I have so much pain in my kidney but no stones and looks 'normal' I'm still having the blood in the urine and just feeling generally unwell. I keep getting recurrent infections, and the protein aswell sad not sure what else to do

• Posted

Hi,

I take it the "normal" thing is as a result of your investigations etc you recently had.  The thing is something is obviously not right, pain is the bodies way of telling us this.  Blood and protien is not normal I had that all my life until me transplant.  I am not suggeting for one minute you need that.  You mentioned you had a bladder biopsy, perhaps it is time to request a kidney biopsy as this is where the protien and blood are likely to be coming from not your bladder.  This is me sharing my experience and not saying for one moment I am medically trained at all. Ask if you can have a kidney biopsy, you really need to find out what is making you unwell.  Or go back to the doctor and ask if its not what you have tested for what is it.  Do not be fobbed off keep going back until you get to the bottom of things.  Its not nice to feel constantly unwell, keep going until you do know what is wrong smile

• Posted

Im due to go and see my GP soon as the consultant said I don't need a follow up and it's all normal. But I questioned where is the blood and protein coming from he said they don't know. I am on trimethoprim for the past 6 months because of infections.

And because of the job I do they won't let me back until it's sorted. I'm thinking of asking to get referred to a different consultant and see how that goes. Thank you so much for replying it's nice to have someone understand me

• Posted

Hi,

Yes deffo do that, doesn't sound a very good consultant just to dismiss your question with "I don't know" like I said keep going until you get to the bottom of things.  They didn't know what was wrong with me when I had the same blood and protien loss like you, but they didn't give up.  I had a biopsy on the kidney that showed thin membrane and minimal change syndrome both of which can be slowed with steroids.  I was then told steroids wouldn't do me any good and so I had a second biopsy as they took many guesses but couldn't decide.  Any how after the second biopsy they sent this to specific experts in London when it came back it was Allports I have the really rare strand of an already rare syndrome.  I don't have the deafness or site issues that others I know have and you are supposed to die in your teens so im 39 all good there, that is why I think you should ask your gp to be referred to a nephrologist rather than a uroligist as they are both very different things.  Promise you won't stop until you find out what it is as it could make all the difference to get an answer early and if it really is nothing then fine but don't give up.  When I had my transplant I am with the same employer but as I have no immune system I have to stay away from members of the public and my colleagues are good enough to stay away if they have a bug.  Quite funny to listen to them really I hear them shouting at one another "dont go near Helen" very good of them really lol.  Keep me posted please, I understand cos I have lived it, difference is my team didn't stop til they found out what was wrong.  I know I am very lucky to have them they involve me in everything I am truly grateful to them they are first class to be fair. smile 

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying

I rang my dr as still not feeling great and they can only offer me an appointment on the 16th of may. Everything is still the same apart from i feel constantly tired, and feel sick all the time. I haven't heard back from the consultant still they said they will get back to me after there MDT. I'm not sure where to go now wethere to keep going back to the GP about it all. The protein and blood is still there and recent blood test show low white cells and folic acid levels are low. I just want some answers in stead of being told I will have to manage it because I'm off work with it as it's so draining. Sorry to hear about your aldeal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.