These spots appeared on my mum's face, what are they?

Posted , 3 users are following.

These bumpy, dark, black-ish spots appeared on my mum's face around a year ago and won't go. She has tried everything, including the creams that the doctor has prescribed her. The dermatologist she visited told her that there was nothing they could do for her about it. 

What do you think these spots are so we could google it and do some research about them and see if we can find a treatment? It's really affecting her badly, as she's self concsious about them. Please help us.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I found DermNetNZ very useful

I have just been looking at the PCDS website, that has a section on diagnosis, including images, you could try looking at that.

What country are you in?  I'm in the UK

• Posted

Hi, we're from the UK.

Thank you very much for that link. I think I have found out what the condition is, it's called 'Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra' or 'Skin Tags'. I really appreciate your help mate, you have really helped us. Thank you very much once again.

• Posted

Hi Zak ~

You didn't mention if she's seen a dermatologist?  If these are all new, she may just want to take that route.  If, at any best, it will give you comfort just knowing what it is.  Hope all goes well.  Let us know, if you don't mind, what you do find out.

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi,

She's seen a dermatologist who told her there was nothing she could do about the spots, and that they would eventually go away on their own. The thing is, my mum is really frustrated (no pun intended) about the spots and wants to know if they're a specific type of spot that have a possible treatment. Thank you for taking the time out to reply.

• Posted

If they are skin tags, yes they will go away!! So that is comforting.  Give it about 6 mths and if nothing's changed see a new derma!! Or, I'm always good for  talking with the pharmacist they are a world of knowledge! Something over the counter may just be what they suggest.  Good Luck!

Frustrated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.