They all told me it was heartburn!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 28 years old and for the past 10 years I have had these episodes of what I was told was heartburn. At first the attacks happened 1-2 times a year, then increased to 3-5 times a year. It always starts the same way with a dull ache in my upper right abdomen, under my ribs. This usually happens in the late afternoon. The pain gets progressively worse until about midnight when it is impossible to sleep or even lie on my stomach. The area is sore to the touch and gets visibly bloated. The pain usually lasts until about 4am and completely disappears. Recently the pain has been coming back for days at a time.

As far as I can tell, there is no one food that triggers it. I can have a banana in the morning and toast or cereal and start to feel the symptoms in the afternoon. I have noticed that several times the attacks have happened after I've eaten dairy (whole milk, pizza). But other times I can eat cheese, wine, spicy pepperoni anything I want and nothing will happen for months. 

I have tried tums, gaviscon and zantac with no relief at all. I cut out all acidic foods, coffee, ibuprofen and still with get attacks. Last year my doctor made me take an h.pylori test which came back negative.

I have been doing research and I'm now convinced it's gallbladder related. I seem to have all the symptoms except that I don't get pain in my back or shoulders. The pain is concentrated in my abdomen. 

Can anyone offer advice about similar experiences?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you been tested at all for your gallbladder or esophagus? Pancreatis? Divercuticulitis? Anything? Sounds like you need a catscan to rule out gallstones. Then go from there if your gallbladder is not the problem. Start asking for some test first.  Please keep me posted. I am really concerned.
  • Posted

I would go back to doc. And tell him gallstones run in my family ( mothers side) so could you please run a exray on that, please right away. tell him you can't live with pain any more and it enterferiing with my life..  Be firm with these doctors or otherwise they just take there time.
  • Posted

I have an appointment with my GP on Friday. I'm going to insist on getting a referral for an ultrasound. It's been difficult to follow up on as I've lived in 3 different countries and 6 different cities in the past 6 years, so 6 different doctors. But they always tell me the same thing, it's just heartburn. I had a blood test done last year when my doctor thought it might be an ulcer. She told me that my liver seemed over worked and that I should stop drinking alcohol... I drink a few glasses of wine on average every 3-4 months... 
  • Posted

Hi

I have exactly the same pain as you do but i had my gallbladder out a couple years ago. first i bet you do have gallstones so make sure you get that ultrasound done. since ive had this pain (almost constant pain now) the doctors have no idea whats wrong with me and ive done tests. also you say its painful to lie on your stomach but i find it alleviates the gas for me but i understand when you say its painful.(try it cause it may help) sorry i cant offer any good advice as im in the same boat and going crazy.

• Posted

I agree with Sally. I too suffered with all those sypmtons for years . Feel like I missed out on so much of my life "feeling sick" when all along it was gallstones. Sally is the  first person who helped me out when I first came to this site in pain. Listen to her, she is wise. Get that sucker taken out and 

you will feel so much better.

• Posted

Thankyou Gail

lump in throat.

guess some advantages of hitting 50 .lol 

just hate to think of others unduly suffering .

glad you are better now ..

fantastic isn't it smile 

• Posted

Hi Kim 

i started with problems like you in my 20s . Was treated for gastritus and peptic ulcers given gaviscon,Zantac and proton pump inhibitors which didn't get rid of the attacks but did help settle them. Then in my 30s I had colic attacks where I would wake up in the night in agony and just continuously vomit for 8 -10 hours in agony till a doctor came out and gave me a anti spasmodic anti sick injection or tablet. I was told this was a bug. Then in my 40s I had ended up with a food phobia which worked in that I was a vegetarian who didn't eat spice , caffeine , cheese , etc but I still got the colic attacks but every couple of years and I had continuous pain under my right rib and terrible heart burn... And at age 49 my gp went gallstones .. Had a scan I had a gallbladder packed full of ancient gallstones marble size !!!!!!! Been there for decades ..

Since removal I eat meat eat spice eat fruit eat anything no heartburn no pain . 

Feel annoyed I suffered for decades. 

Ask for a scan ... Don't move into the colic attacks that's when you pass stones you are more than likely in the inflammation stage where your stones are rubbing together making your gallbladder sore inside. To prevent this you have to stop your gallbladder from contracting squeezing bile out as this squeezes the stones. Fatty rich foods require more bile to digest and your stomach requests extra bile from your gallbladder when u eat them...

So try cutting out all fat , red meat, caffeine , only eat bland boiled potatoes , rice, plain pasta , boiled veg steamed fish plain chicken etc.... And if the ache starts to settle you will know. 

Don't suffer years of pain , don't be told it's your nervous stomach your stressed and get ulcers . 

Get scanned ... 

Its a simple operation and my what a change it's made to my life. 

I had shares in gaviscon !!!!!! 

Hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi Sally, I have just found this site as I need some advice. Reading some of the posts here is exactly how I have suffered over the years. I am now 52 but have suffered bouts of really bad colic since my late teens. I had various tests, medications and nothing was discovered. The only thing that helped the pain was a hot water bottle at the top of my stomach. I just knew when the pain began that was the end of any plans for the day so there have been many days where I had to curl up in bed, in agony, feeling sick and shivers. A bout could last up to 5/6 hours and this could happen at its worst several times a month. I just had to learn to live with it. Three years ago I had an abdominal scan which showed I had fibroids and a gallstone. I was advised to have my gallbladder removed but I was frightened and tried to change my diet. I have been Vegetarian for a long time and eat healthily but I could not stop eating milk chocolate. It was almost like an addiction I craved the stuff so much. Just been to see consultant again and have signed saying I agree to having gallbladder removed but I,m scared and still undecided. ..
    • Posted

Hi 

we are near in age . I can't guarantee your problems will end if you have your gallbladder removed but at this age we need to keep our m.o.t so to speak up to date. Unlike in your 20s or 30s you can ignore things and soldier on. Now the time to make sure we keep on top of health issues or they come back to haunt us. And the risks of surgery increase the older we get . 50s we are still at our prime .

if you have had fibroids very soon they should become a forgotten problem as the menopause will put a stop to them. So then your gallbladder  being removed crosses another problem off the list. If it's not either of those things it's something and getting the gallbladder sorted will enable doctors to realise you still have a problem. 

I was terrified thinking I would die .... Nut case ... I knew I wouldn't but I hate being out of control , un conscience . Control freak!,,, but it was worth the nerves , the panic and the tears . All that before the op. Cos after I was calm , well , relieved and better. No pain. No nausea , no heartburn and guess what my anxiety has reduced so so much ... 

Its your choice but don't let fear stop you ....

• Posted

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. No bother with fibroids now as I have sailed through the menopause. I have always been very health conscious and lead a healthy lifestyle but for most of my adult life have suffered from this horrible colic. Maybe it has been gallstones all along. I am just frightened of the whole procedure as I have never had to have anything done before. I guess now it is time for a bit of MOT to prevent any complications by letting the gallstones remain. Your advice has really helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.