They have me SMH

Posted , 3 users are following.

In 1994 I had an episode while walking things just went haywire.  Prior to that I've had serious bouts with Vertigo and mild tinnitus in one ear.  Fast forward 24 years after untold number of complaints to the docs about vertigo (dizziness) and tinnitus (both ears) to constant vertigo, tinnitus so loud it sounds like a bell chorus, and stumbling while walking I finally went outside to an ENT had the test which the primary one, the ECOG stated that SP/AP amplitude ration couldn't be calculated, but the test were in "normal" range because it showed <.50 on the SP/AP amplitude ratio (which i thought they couldn't calculate) and she told me I have "balance problems."  Really?  I can't find a doc that understand Meniere's. I don't care what those test showed, I have much more than just a balance problem.. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Shabaka, 

I understand your situation, I have found over the years, some physicians will shy away from a meniere's diagnosis.  Meniere's produces such a wide range of symptoms, symptoms that mimic other ailments and conditions they are hesitant to place a name on what we have. Also the Social Security Administration recognizes meniere's as a disabling condition, but a person needs a diagnosis and a symptom history to prove your case to them. The worldwide incidence of Meniere's disease is approximately 12 out of every 1,000 people. 

and I think some Doctors don't believe we are one of the 12 patients 

ø¤º°`°º¤ø-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.Bertman •:*'''''*:•-:¦:-ø¤º°`°º¤ø 

• Posted

Hey Bertman, i hear ya.. I just want to know and if I have any secondary benefit so be it.  I just know it's more than just "balance problems".. plus at my age, i won't enjoy any secondary benefit for too many years..lol

• Posted

Hi Shabaka, sorry to hear that you are struggling to get a diagnosis. Herein the UK my ENT doctor advised that there actually isn't a difinative test to confirm Menieres but it's a case of ruling everything else out which resulted in a full balance test, hearing test and MRI to get my diagnosis. Although I do have a family history of Menieres so was told from the beginning that it was a possibility. I hope you have better luck going forwards, all the best!

• Posted

Some Docs in the U.S. want to keep their reputation as not being a gunslinger and are overly cautious plus they don't wish to get involved in litigation with disability claims.. 

• Posted

Hello Shabaka, You are right, in many cases physicians would prefer not be involved in disability claims. But they have to understand that this may occur in their practice, I had some issues with this matter, physicians can refuse to complete the forms, but being a treating physician in a disability case, will be made to do so anyway. The sad part is, if the physician doesn't want to participate in a disability claim and is requested to do so, the physician may not be very descriptive in explaining your health issues. It's not what illness you have, or the name of said illness, it's how the illness effects your ability to work and your quality of life. 

ø¤º°`°º¤ø-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.Bertman •:*'''''*:•-:¦:-ø¤º°`°º¤ø 

• Posted

Hello Shabaka, 

I agree with you, a meniere's diagnosis is generally after all other possible causes are ruled out

Whether the disease is diagnosed or not, the symptoms will remain to trouble you just the same. 

Bertman 

• Posted

You telling me Bertman..lol.. when I walk down the street on some days i get a cruel reminder..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.