They say I have IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

since September 2015 I have been having pain on the left side just below my ribs that is brought on by eating. I can only eat small amounts of food before feeling full up and suffer from constant nausea. I saw a General surgeon last year who had no idea what the problem was. I am now on my second Gastro consultant who still has no idea what the problem is. CT scan, ultrasounds, Gastroscopy and Gastric Emptying tests have all been normal. The Gastro doc has now told me as the tests are clear he thinks it's IBS. I told him my bowels are normal so it can't be that but he insists it is. Everything I have read says that to have IBS you have some degree of altered bowel habits. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to have IBS without actually having a problem with your bowels?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

While it is possible to have IBS but no bowel habit change, this is rare.  Probably what is happening is that you do have bowel habit change but it is too subtle to be noticed. When I got IBS, I started with constipation that kept coming back which alerted me to to a change.  However, when my stools changed again to loose, I didn't recognise it because I I was glad to get relief from constipation.and didn't realise it was a symptom.

• Posted

My bowels have been exactly the same as the hospital had told me to keep an eye on them. I really don't think I have IBS as the pain starts really quickly after I eat and I have had it every day since Sep 2015. Even the consultant thought this was strange but still persisted in telling me it was IBS because they have no idea what the problem is.

• Posted

Pain can start very quickly after you eat when you have IBS.  This is a very common symptom.  IBS pain can be constant and affect you every day.  My IBS pain was constant and daily for three and half months before diagnosis.  I doubted I had IBS during this time because I had read that to have IBS, you have to have come and go pain.  However, I have learned that IBS affects people differently and symptoms vary.  Now my pain is come and go according to my stress levels.

Try keeping a food diary to see if any food upsets your stomach since you get pain after eating.  Keep monitoring your bowel habits to see if any changes appear.  See a different doctor to get another opinion.

• Posted

I know everyone is different but how quickly does the pain usually start after eating? All food gives me pain as the General Surgeon I saw last year wanted me to eliminate food groups from my diet to see if it would help. 
    • Posted

This too can vary.  Sometimes it can be immediately or within an hour/s of eating. I would take your General Surgeon's advice and try elimination of food groups.  Record what you eat, when you ate it, and any symptoms you get. This will tell you one way or the other if there are any food you should avoid. My brother had IBS but I didn't recognise it in me because my symptoms varied from his.  If a family member has IBS, you are three times as likely to get it.

• Posted

Hi Sharon, are you on any blood pressure medications?  My side affect from Amlodipine was similar to that of IBS. Now that my Doctor has changed my prescription, ths symptoms are slowly subsiding. 
    • Posted

No im not on any blood pressure medication. I dont think I have IBS and they have just said this as they cant think of anything else. My mum has IBS so I know what it looks like and even she said I dont have it.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

Get MRI done. It cud be gallbladder stones or sludge. I had same kinda symptoms n recently got operated for gallbladder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.