They told me I had Meniere but I didn’t

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 54 years old and have had what I call brain fog for thirty years. This is where I couldn't focus and felt anxious all the time. About five years ago I started having vertigo attacks, where it was like something tripped in my head and the room would just spin, so I would quickly put myself on the floor, to avoid falling over.

Anyway I had Bupa cover and they sent me to some top people and two of them said Meniere disease. I was not convinced by this diagnosis so started investigating myself, as I test things for a living so I get it. The last doctor I saw did mention that maybe a blood vessel in my inner ear may be touching my vestibular nerve and that could trigger an attack. I then thought back and noticed a pattern with needing my ears syringed a lot and also once my eustachian tube was blocked for six months due to dried mucus.

Over the years they had also diagnosed me with ADHD, IBS, breakdown etc etc.

So I kept a diary everyday and started noticing that the vertigo got worse after eating bread. I looked up ingredient to bread and bought the things I could be allergic to and tried them. when I bought 100% wheat and tried that I was so ill for 48 hours. So I stopped eating wheat and within two weeks everything cleared up. That was a year ago now and still off wheat and nothing to report I feel completely normal.

I'm not saying you will be as lucky as me but what I think was happening and this is just my theory. when I ate wheat my anti bodies saw it as like a poison and attacked it. The end result of this was lots of mucus from the dead cells and they seemed to gather in my head. I think they dried up and either moved or triggered something with my vestibular nerve that triggered the vertigo.

Just thought I would share my experience of two meniere diagnosis's to coming off a food type and having my life back.

good luck!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. Been living with Menier (hard version) since 16 years old, thats 30 years of hell. I will try your approach and eliminate certain food.

Did you also tried alergic test on food before or after you found our wheat causes you vertigo problems?

Thanks for answering,

Ales, Slovenia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.