Thick Mucus Build Up, Prolonged Cough

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All!

For nearly 5 months now, I've had a runny nose (not so bad now, it started 30 times a day but now just 3 or 4) and a few days after and since, started coughing up phlegm / mucus. I've had some blood on several occasions of coughing up phlegm / mucus and once blowing my nose too.

It feels like there's an obstruction in my throat and after coughing up phlegm / mucus and my nose and throat sometimes are really sticky. So is the phlegm / mucus, very sticky.

I keep coughing too and needing to clear my throat a lot. Today I had a coughing fit just after drinking a lemon and ginger tea, didn't even finish it.

I now think I have enlarged lymph glands in my neck and both sides of my neck have itched from time to time and my right side tingled a few times past few weeks. I've itched my neck so much sometimes it's left a red mark. My arm pits have itched too on occasion and tingled also.

At night I've also had tingly burning sensations in loads of random places all over my neck, throat, arms and body such as under both rib cages. I've also had bad chest pain, burning and burning in the stomach. Chest pain twice, once in the very middle gap part just under your chest and once was just after eating where it felt like someone had a plank of wood pressed across my chest and was pushing down. I've even on one occasion, had a very alarming and unpleasant tingling in the throat that lasted a couple of hours and only on one occasion. Also had a pretty severe sore throat which lasted an hour, I woke with it. That was a couple of months ago.

I don't usually have any allergies, suffer hay fever and quire alarmed by the length of time these symptoms (well I know there's a lot of mad symptoms but the coughing up mucus and mucusy nose have been consistent throughout).

My doctors (3 at my surgery) have come up with all sorts of things from acid reflux, allergy, hay fever to saying it's stress and anxiety.

I'm worried it's something like throat cancer that's spread to my lymph glands as a lot of the symptoms of edenocarcinoma have been present.

I have had dark stools and a lot and diarrhoea (not all but a lot) for 2 weeks now along with the occasion weird sensations in my abdomen here and there. I must also say I've had 3 really bad stomach ache which lasted an hour and a half through the weeks which were strange and out the blue at different times of the day.

I've had 2 chest x-rays, a CT scan of my chest, all the usual tests:- ECG, blood pressure, oxygen levels, temperature and all my bloods done over the weeks and all been fine and last week a gastroscopy which also was fine (but that doesn't check the whole throat) yet still getting a really blocked nose, coughing up phlegm and have a sticky nose but it has lessened slightly.

I've tried to get a referral to the ENT for 6 weeks and my doctor has reluctantly done it now. I want the endoscopy up the nose and down the throat which I asked a different doctor at my surgery for 3 weeks ago which he said he'd do but it ended up being the gastrocooy which left me a little peeved as you can imagine.

Any insights or thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.