Thick mucus & throat clearing?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I've really been through it with my GERD and I've had a year and a half of hell. I'm just starting to see some improvements but now I've got this thick mucus at the back of my throat that gets stuck there, I can't swallow it as it doesn't move much but when I cough it does come up, then slips back down.

I'm constantly having to cough and clear my throat, the mucus tends to sit right near my gag reflex so it's always uncomfortable! Any solutions or suggestions?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i have the same issue, try a saline nasal spray - you can get it from a pharmacy. I use it morning and night and it really helps to thin things out, plus its not medicated so its very safe, just simple salt water
    • Posted

Does it work? I have a Neilmed rinse kit here. 
    • Posted

its not a miracle cure, but it does help thin the mucus which in turn stops it being so notacible
  • Posted

I have the same exact thing. On the odd occasion it'll shift but it mostly just sits there making me clear my throat every 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. I've taken Nexium 40mg for a month and the Doc has now put me on Omeprazole, only been taking them for 3 days though.
  • Posted

Hi I have suffered from silent reflux and post nasal drip (on and off) for the past three years and have tried numerous remedies via my GP ( omeprazole and nasal sprays) and through reading about what other people have tried on this forum. I have had varying degrees of relief from some of them but then the symptoms always came back with a vengeance. Three weeks ago I had the most horrific globus sensation ( mucous stuck in the throat) to be then followed by constant PND. I was at the point of returning to see my GP for anything to help with this discomfort when I came across an article about Mastic Gum and Slippery Elm.  I'd always dismissed these in the past ( maybe because of the way they sound) but having read other people's testimonials on how effective they were I thought I should at least give them a try. I am now in my 3rd week of taking them both and I feel up to 80% better. I can't believe it took me three years to try these but at least I am now dealing with my symptoms effectively. I feel so much more human and can honestly say I have had a better quality of life returned to me. I have read that Mastic gum and Slippery Elm are also effective in treating GERD and H-Pylori infection so worth looking at. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Oh I have the same issues.  I cough until I am on the verg if not actually sick..Then I will feel lightheaded and tingly.  During the day I try to keep it in (yes, right) as the people I work with moan about my coughing and clearing mt throat.....So so difficult...!
  • Posted

I agree with what others said here, though always research any drug and herb/supplements (oh forgot the word) being okay together. 

I just got nasal rinse as recommended from someone, like the results! Though it's a bit odd feeling to gently squeeze bottle and let water solution run up and over and out other side. If stopped up it doesn't want to go, but don't force it and don't inhale!!! I'm surprised how nice it feels after.

also, maybe warm salt water gargle to help cut the phlegm. Spit out.

also drink lots of water to keep throat clear in mean time as you try to resolve the dreaded GERD.  

Hope for the best for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.