Thickened eyelids

Posted , 4 users are following.

Undiagnoswd and therefore untreated blepharitis has caused me to have thickened eyelide. Is that permanent? You can see my eyelid under my lashes where in normal eyes, the lashes appear to be next to the eyeball. in my eyes, you see white flesh ( the thickened eyelid) under my lahes against the eyeball. I hope the Wet Ones treament will help. Any info on this problem?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen an ophthalmologist? Are you in the US?

• Posted

I did see an ophtalmologist who diagnosed me in 30 seconds. My optometrist had never noticed a thing.  When I told him my eyelashes were falling out, he prescribed LiLash instead of trying to discover what was the cause.  My new Dr. said she thought the thickened eyelids may be permanent.  I have tried to find answers online but no articles on blepharitis really say anything about the permanent effects of the disease. They are thickend right at the base of the lashes, and if I don't use some sort of eyelash growth serum, which probably exacerbates the problem, my eyelashes fall out.  I am much too vain to go around with no lashes, so  I use these products. My lids have been thickened for over 2 years.
    • Posted

It can be so hard to find all the information you need to come up with a routine that works to end a flare and then manage eye care. From everything I have read your thickened eyelid along the lash line is due to the swollen and blocked oil glands. If you treat that and get that under control, the swelling should go down and in time your eyelashes should grow back. If you are in the US you might want to ask your Dr for a prescription for Avenova which you could apply along the lash lines with a Qtip similar to how you are using the WetOnes. I had very good luck with WetOnes but then my Dr thought they might be too strong and were irritating the lids and keeping them swollen. It has really made a difference and the swelling is down. I also use a heat mask for 10 minutes to loosen the oils in the glad and then massage the lids with downward motion with my index finger  from the bone above the lid and slowly down my closed eye lid. Then up from the bone below my eye up towards the lower lashes. Then I was my eyes, apply an oil free, fragrance free lite moisturizer to the skin around my eyes but not on the lid or lash lines. Then that is when I apply the lid cleanser (Avenova or WetOnes) using a Qtip to keep in only on the lash lines. 

Things are looking so much better, but it takes time.

Dr also put me on low dose doxycycline which helps bring down the inflammation of the eyelids.

once you get things under control you may find that your eyelashes and lids will be much better. 

Two years is a long time to be dealing with this. Try to stay focused on getting help treating the underlying cause...dry eye and swollen lid glands.

• Posted

My advice is to get to the doctor's. Self help is all very well & good as maintenance but you need a diagnosis & maybe some antibiotics. To answer your question about eyelids, mine have altered & are more swollen but over the eye, not by the eye ball. Good luck with it :-)

• Posted

Keep using the wet ones. Use a q-tip to apply, cut up small squares, put on the end of the tip. This way you only touch the rim of your eyelid. works great. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.