Thickening of the Endometrium Lining 17mm

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am posting about my mom. She had an episode of heavy vaginal bleeding and had to be hospitalized. She is 73 years old. They did an intravaginal ultrasound and found it be 17mm thick with some cysts. Her next step is a biopsy. All I am reading about is that it has high incidence for cancer. She is already battling stage 4 adrenal cancer.

Is there anybody out there who had a thick endometrium lining and it turned out not to be cancer? Looking for any possible good news or stories.

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi Jen. try not to worry too much. i know thats easier said than done. I've had that same problem as your mum. I'm 58 and had been post menopause for 4 years when i started having vaginal bleeding. i was found to have thickening of the endometrium so had a biopsy. it turned out i was producing too much oestrogen so i had a mirena coil inserted which releases progesterone to balance it out. this was in August last year and i've not had any bleeding problems since. i dont know what your mums weight is, but i was very overweight and was told that this could have contributed to the excess oestrogen production. i have lost 21 lbs since but am still overweight. please try not to worry, as there are other things besides cancer that can cause this. i hope your mum has a good result x

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for the kind words and personal story. My mom is actually thin but she hadn't kept up with her obgyn appoints and hadn't been for decades! Do you remember how thick your endometrial lining was?

Thanks,

Jen

• Posted

hi jen my lining was also thick 9.9 i too have gone through menopause and had to episodes of post bleeding 2nd time was kast year so i had a merina coil fitted and its breaking down my thickness ive had biopsys and scans i have fibroids but thats all that was found praying for good news for your mom xx

• Posted

Thank you too for your personal story. I really appreciate you sharing it and I hope my mom has the same result. The 17 MM just seemed really high. 😦

• Posted

Mine was 22 mm in the fall.. They did a D&C to scrape the lining and make sure all was ok.. It was all clear with me. The Dr thought it would help get me to meno faster but no suck luck.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing! My mom is actually in the prep area for the D&C right now. They are also concerned about a cyst like structure so they will see what it looks like when they did the procedure. If they are concerned, they are skipping the D&C and only doing a biopsy.

I will let you know.

• Posted

I just wanted to update you both on the results of my mom's 17mm lining. She had a D&C and they found a polyp which they removed. That was the cause of her bleeding. In addition, her biopsy came back negative.

Unfortunately, my mom is stage 4 adrenal cancer and a Cat Scan showed a new 8cm mass along side the wall of her abdomen. They have to do a MRI to find out if it an adrenal met or new cancer.

• Posted

Thanks for the update... I'm sending healthy vibes and prays to your mom..

• Posted

Thank you for updating. Sorry to read about your mum's adrenal cancer. Sending love and prayers x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.