Thickening of uterus wall after menopause?

Posted , 23 users are following.

At 54 it's been over 2 years since I had my last proper period, which was the most awful, heavy, painful period I've ever had - this came 11 months after the previous period.  Apart from that I just sailed through the menopause without any problems at all, as my periods just became more and more erratic until they just tailed off, finishing with the one from hell!   I had a smear 5 weeks ago (for which I still haven't got the results) and happened to mention that in the intervening 2 years and 3 months since that last period I've had 3 episodes of spotting.  The period was in Oct 14, then in May 15 I had a week of spotting, as if a period was starting but it didn't.  In April 16 I had one day of light brown spotting, then in Sept 16 I had literally a few pale pink spots which lasted a couple of hours, and that was it!  I wasn't at all concerned but the GP sent me for an ultrasound which was today.  They couldn't find the endometrium very well, so gave me a transvaginal ultrasound (for anybody else reading this, it's absolutely nothing to worry about, way better than a smear and I was so relaxed I could have fallen asleep [cheesygrin] ).  The endometrium was found to be thickened...apparently the guidlines say that anything over 3mm should be investigated, and mine is 6.  Now I am to be referred to a gynacologist..obviously I'm concerned but is it possible that it's actually nothing at all?  Has anyone else been in this situation? 

Thank you, Louise x

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Louise,

Obviously what this means is that while you aren't producing enough estrogen to create regular cycles, your wonderful ovaries are still prodicing some estrogen!!  Good for you.  And yes, this will stimulate the lining.   Possibly if you had your levels tested, it would show a strong estradiol blood level for a menopausal woman.  (Top end of the ranges).

So it makes sense to get it checked out.  But I wouldn't be on the worried sick side of things.   If your doctor is concerned you could do a round of vaginal progesterone, which would help sluff off and reduce your lining.      

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Gailannie.  I wasn't remotely concerned and thought it was just a hormonal thing (my GP was talking about the bleeding and I had to correct him to say that it wasn't blood as such, just brown/pink spotting) but he referred me to be on the safe side.  Hopefully the thickening is as you suggest.  Oh, and I got the smear result this morning and it's fine, so I don't have to worry about that at least!  Thank you x

• Posted

Hi Louise

Yes, I was in exactly that position (feet together, knees apart - ha ha ha!) last year. My lining was 10mm - had a hysteroscopy and biopsy and all tests came back normal.  Just an oestrogen surge according to consultant; the ovaries' last hurrah. Good to have it checked out just in case but probably nothing to worry about. Keep us posted. Jane x

• Posted

Thank you for such a reassuring reply Jane.  That's fantastic that all your tests came back as normal, do you require and follow up or further checks?  It's good to know that all is well with you when you had a 10mm thickness, I was in a panic thinking that 6 must be awful!  I'll update this when I have my next appointment, but thank you x

• Posted

Just to add, my GP surgery called today to ask me to make an appointment with my GP regarding the ultrasound result.  I told the receptionist that the hospital were already going to arrange a follow up appointment so she said she'd leave a note for the GP when he is back on Tuesday, to let him know.  I'm now wondering why he thought he needed to see me, and why the hospital said I'd receive an appointment letter within a fortnight (although the appointment won't neccessarily be that quick).  Is it usual that the hospital arrange the follow up, and I wonder if they always tell you exactly what they have seen?  I was told that the endometrium was thickened, and she also said that she'd seen fibroid-type changes but didn't seem concerned about that.  Nothing else was mentioned though...

• Posted

I am 50 and still in perimenopause.  I now have a condition where I have a thickened endometrial lining due to unopposed oestrogen .  i.e Progesterone has dropped off but Oestrogen still remains high.  This means it continues to thicken the lining on a continual basis.  I haven't started the hot flushes yet as my oestrogen is still high.  Now my endometrial lining was recently 3.5 cm thick on the anterior wall and over 1.0 cm in other places.  This led to them insisting on a biopsy.  But my biopsy still came back negative for anything nasty.   I have been told it can progress over time to uterine cancer but apparently it takes years for this to happen.  I also get the spotting etc that you have mentioned so it is not necessarily out of the ordinary.  Could it be that your oestrogen is still quite high and so no hot flushes yet and a thickening of the lining?  A question to ask the consultant.

• Posted

I shall do Sam, thank you for that.  Interesting that you mentioned not having hot flushes - I never had them at all, and it's now been over 2 years since the last period.  Like most people I was anticipating some problems during menopause but apart from the one horrible heavy and painful period that I mentioned above I seemed to just sail through it.  (I did experience anxiety but Evening Primrose sorted that out beautifully).  Interesting and I shall definitely ask the consultant about that, thank you x

• Posted

Hi. I'm in a somewhat similar position to you Louise. I am 55 and its been 4 years approx since I've had a period. I am taking HRT - an estrogen tablet and a progestron tablet. On Christmas Eve I started bleeding a little but, while I knew it should be happening, I didn't worry too much about it. I went to see my doctor after Christmas and its since then that I have been worried sick. She said it is an urgent matter and that the first thing that must be done is to eliminate cancer - I hadn't even thought about cancer. Early this week I had abdominal and transvaginal ultrasounds carried out (simple procedures as you say) and the result have shown a thickened lining in my uterus. I got such a shock I didn't even ask how many centimeters - I didn't even realise I should ask that question! Now I am being sent for an 'urgent' biopsy (urgent meaning within 2 weeks I gather). I am not really bleeding any more, except after a bowel movement, otherwise it more like dried blood specks any time I wipe after urinating (apologies for the intimate details). Tonight I have lower abdominal pain and am terrified I am going to start bleeding again or that something weird is going on inside. I feel like I've stepped into a nightmare that I can't wake up from. Waiting for the biopsy and then the pathology results terrifies me.

If anyone can offer me some practical advice on how to get through this I would be extremely grateful. I am trying to think positively but not making a great job of it much of the time sad

• Posted

Hi Shazanne

I know what you are going through, I am 61, I sailed through the menopause, Just before xmas out of the blue my problems started as followed

Sexual intercourse excruitating pain which lasted a week, back ache, no bleeding. immediately saw my doctor, who carried out blood tests to rule out ovarian cancer, my ca125 is ok,had scans last week which show uterus lining 8mm, so appointment scheduled for next Fri to see consultant and hysterscope, I am petrified it endometrial cancer, the waiting till then is worrying, 

• Posted

Hi Shazanne

You have a good doctor who is looking after you and anything sinister will be caught in its early stages. Try to take some comfort from that.

How long have you been taking hrt?

I started hrt patches last september, after no periods for 3 months, and it made my periods come back. Now I have regular spotting and like you when I wipe.

My doctor has referred me to gyne, appt on 25th. Mainly to discuss way forward as I have fibroids. I'm thinking it's the hrt causing my bleeding and will try a different one.

Try to keep busy, pamper yourself, and don't google!

• Posted

I've been taking HRT for 4 years with no problems.

Did all the Googling before I ever went to the doctor and most of it referred to the 'C' word - but I didn't pay much heed to it as I was convinced it was just something minor like my HRT needed to be adjusted. It was after I went to the doctor that I started really worrying!!!

• Posted

Exactly - the waiting is driving me crazy. I am not a patient patient! I will be thing of you on Friday next and wishing you well Caroline. X
    • Posted

Thanks Shazanne

Had hysteroscopy, curettage and polypectomy yesterday under ga, all went really well, surprisingly immediately after surgery,i had no pain whatsoever, afew hours later i had very slight abdo pain, which was relieved with paracetamol,

After surgery my doctor explained that the 8mm endometrial thickness, which had displayed on my scan, was in fact only due to a large benign polyp, which they removed,

Relief from worry at last x

• Posted

Hi

Sounds very similar to my case,

My vaginal scan last week showed 8mm endometrial wall thickness, I am scheduled to see consultant and also have biopsy next Friday.

I have smear test done recently which was clear.

Just worried in case its cancer, the waiting till then is so worrying.

• Posted

Just looking back on this post Caroline - I hope all went well.

Do update if you feel you are able to do so!

Regards and hugs, Louise x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.