Thickening of uterus wall after menopause?

Posted , 23 users are following.

At 54 it's been over 2 years since I had my last proper period, which was the most awful, heavy, painful period I've ever had - this came 11 months after the previous period.  Apart from that I just sailed through the menopause without any problems at all, as my periods just became more and more erratic until they just tailed off, finishing with the one from hell!   I had a smear 5 weeks ago (for which I still haven't got the results) and happened to mention that in the intervening 2 years and 3 months since that last period I've had 3 episodes of spotting.  The period was in Oct 14, then in May 15 I had a week of spotting, as if a period was starting but it didn't.  In April 16 I had one day of light brown spotting, then in Sept 16 I had literally a few pale pink spots which lasted a couple of hours, and that was it!  I wasn't at all concerned but the GP sent me for an ultrasound which was today.  They couldn't find the endometrium very well, so gave me a transvaginal ultrasound (for anybody else reading this, it's absolutely nothing to worry about, way better than a smear and I was so relaxed I could have fallen asleep [cheesygrin] ).  The endometrium was found to be thickened...apparently the guidlines say that anything over 3mm should be investigated, and mine is 6.  Now I am to be referred to a gynacologist..obviously I'm concerned but is it possible that it's actually nothing at all?  Has anyone else been in this situation? 

Thank you, Louise x

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have a question.  I am 48 years young lol and I still get my period regularly.  No bleeding etc.  I do have  many  fibroids but was told my uterus lining wasn’t thickened by them.  Had a biopsy done last year which was negative.  The thickness is 1.3 cm.   Had another pelvic sono and the thickness stayed the same.  My dr will be repeating biopsy.  Do you think the fact that it was negative last year and thickness didn’t change it should be a negative biopsy?  Could this thickness be my new normal?  Dr said the fact I still get my period I am shedding but do you think my hormones should be checked?  I was googling and a thickened lining can over time cause uterus/endometrial cancer?  My dr said either you have it or not?   Is it recommended to get yearly biopsy’s  and pelvic sono to prevent anything bad to occur?  What are your thoughts?  Thanks! 
  • Posted

Dear Louise I've been going through the menopause myself for the three years and the linking of my womb is still 10mm thick which it shouldn't be, don't know what to do.

• Posted

15 mins

I'm in need of a story with a success rate for someone with similar issues. Two years post menopause, i started brown spotting. Then 2 months later, i had a regular period and afterwards started the brown spotting again & it's been on and off for 3 months. The lining size went from 4mm to 11mm during that time. The gyno scared me so badly because she said it's a sign of cancer. I also have 2 tiny fibroids and a cyst. I would appreciate some support but the truth. If you or someone you know had similar issues, was or wasn't it cancer or was it something else? My doctor is useless she never calls me back. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

HI. I've had similar. Long story short. Its the fibroids. Every six months I have scans to check my lining and a biopsy as I have irregular spotting. I take hrt and they tell me its the oestrogen feeding the fibroids. Hope you get checked out and all is fine.

• Posted

thank you what was your measurement? i dont understand why it keeps growing she said thats a bad sign

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.