Thicker foot after bunectomy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Almost 12 weeks post op after a bunectomy with plate fusion of metatarsel joint and 5 screws,

I can walk but my big toe is weak and slightly higher, and the ball of my foot near the toes is thicker.

Is this normal and will it stay or go away!

I tried on a pair of warm boots that I couldn't wear due to that swelling in the ball of the foot.

Did you still ice and elevate after 10 weeks?

And when did that swelling go away?

Anything that helps with that?

Currently, I massage and do foot exercises but haven't iced in awhile. It seems like it is thickness from the ligaments being moved not fluid.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi    The ball of my foot is bigger too , but I’m only 3 weeks in x  sat with ice pack on and leg up !!  I hope u go on ok x I just hope I will be able to put a shoe on when I go back to hospital in another 3 weeks xx   Sandy 
    • Posted

Yes, I didn't wear shoes until 7 weeks.

Definately swollen in the beginning

I hope it goes away, as I bought newer boots before surgery and would love to wear them.

• Posted

Iv bought some new ones !  But I have a broad foot so will have to see what happens x x it’s so frustrating not doing much , when your used to being active x lol    Hope u get your boots on soon x Sandy 
  • Posted

My foot is thicker too.  Seems like all the flesh got squeezed.   I have to purposely bend my toes down to touch the floor. Tremendous swelling, so much so that clear fluid leaked out of one of my scars. I’m 7 weeks post op.  Hurts like an 8 out of 10 if walking more than 200 feet.   Suppose to get out of walking boot Jan. 29th.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.