Thigh muscle cramp

Posted , 125 users are following.

I have often had calf muscle cramp, but this is easily dealt with by walking about. However, last night I had a thigh muscle cramp which was far more acute than anything I had had before. The pain was excruciating and lasted ten minutes. My face went grey and I almost fainted. I couldn't walk and massaging seemed to have little effect.

11 likes, 310 replies

310 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Point your toes down for thigh cramp (up for calf)isotonic drinks help If in agony I just keep Walking.crampex tablets also help.

Seems to be associated with dehydration so keep up your water intake especially with alcohol.

I have just bought some tablets from USA called HYLITES for golfers which I have just started taking and which may help

• Posted

Hi

I have had these cramps in my right leg for months. They are the worst cramps I have ever had. I asked my GP about them and his suggestion was to stop taking the statin I take after a heart attack. I didn't feel this was very helpful as there were no alternatives discussed. Has anyone else been advised to stop taking a statin?

• Posted

Yes and while on statin drugs my whole body hurt the drugest told me this could happen..... Buy some Calm ..when I was having leg cramps ... my Chirprotor doc told me to get some ...it is all Natural ....also helps with sleep... hope this helps you as much as it help for me  
    • Posted

Hi.  I was put on meds which contained statins for cholesterol.  Never had these horrible cramps before this.  I talked this over with the dr who tried me on all cholesterol meds there are.  Same problem with all of them.  So I asked him if it was ok to stop for a while because I just couldn't stand it anymore.  I did stop and the cramps lessened considerably.  I went from having these things average of 5 times a week (average length of cramp 15 min) to months without them.  I still get them but not as often as the average 5 times a week. I wonder if these cramps damage the muscle permanently? .  The dr put me on Lovaza which does not contain statins.  These pains are brutal.  Good luck
    • Posted

I know exactly what you are going through.  I usually get them in bed or lying on the couch.  I had these for years, sometimes 4-5 a week.  I finally stopped taking my cholesterol meds.  I was on every one they made and always had these cramps.  The doctor told me  that they really didn't know much about these cramps, but put me on Lovase (Omega-3-Acid).  Helped a little but not much.  Then last year he put me on a realtively new mede called Fenofibrate.  I still get these horrible cramps but now reduced to one to two at about 2-3 month intervals.  My cholesterol has dropped considerably along with my blood pressure.  I can handle this.  I remember one night before I was put on the above meds, just as I was getting up I got these cramps in both legs at the same time and I did pass out. I live by my self  and that is really scary.  Good luck to you.  I hope you find something that works.
    • Posted

Hello again:  well it's May 2015, and I've had a good break from the leg cramps - I started taking Magnesium (one in evening) and a bottle of mini Mags beside the bed at night.   However, at around 4 this morning I got zapped again in the thigh.   Panic immediate.   Forgot all the things I'd read over the last months, except to try and stand and BEND OVER ~!  Which did help.   It got me up and walking, and altho I drink lotsa fluids during the day and even evening (I got to the kitchen and downed more watered-down pure juice.   Thank goodness it was such a help.  But I do think (now I have that immediate reminder today) that I bet some people actually pass away from the sheer horror of the pain and unexpected locations of upper thigh.   I so feel for those who live alone.  I forgot to clench my teeth down on the inside of the thumb and forefinger skin ... I bet I would have drawn blood.   I sincerely hope that nobody who has an E.G., stroke, or are bed ridden have to go thru this and not be able to indicate what's happening to others.   Blessings on all your heads for your support.   A friend who's a technician and electrical engineer for Hydro, he bought a "grounding pad" almost like a mini pad for bed (or during the day) and while visiting us ...it's about 18" long and it gets plugged into the GROUND portion of your electrical wall plugs.   Well, I tried it and just for general lower legs, feet, toes, cramps, I lay my hand onto the pad when the smaller cramps occurred, and that fixed them immediately.    So, there's a new and exciting "maybe" that people don't know about.   After the major cramp this morning, I am going to look into it tomorrow.

• Posted

I was taking statins for high cholesterol and was having inner thigh cramps two or three times a week.  They are exhausting.  I talked this over with my dr., and he kept switching me to all kinds of cholesterol meds. Nothing helped.  I went to another dr., for a different problem and told him about these cramps and he said to stop taking statins.  So I went back to my reg. phys., and I told him I would like to try going without these meds.  And after a while they decreased in occurances.  I now get them every now and then but nothing like I did when I was taking statins.  He put me on Lovasa for cholesterol which is a pure form of Omega 3 and needs a prescription.  I tried over the counter Omega3, but they did not work as well as the prescription Omega3.  So in short I still get them occasionally Like 3-4-5 months apart and they are still unbearable.  But at least I am not getting them multiple times a week. And yes, I have had three kids and these things ARE much worse then labor pains.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I had thigh muscle cramps again last night. I experienced it a couple of times a couple of years ago but had forgotten about them. Wow! The cramp returned last night, it was unbearable and very very scary as I live alone. The muscle was actually bulging and rippling so just kept massaging it and continued walking around. I wondered if it was going to end? This was better as the last time it happened I was unable to move and dragged myself across the floor by my hands and arms.

It subsided after 15 minutes or so. Has anyone any idea what this might be please? I am 57 but very active and cycle to destinations each day instead of using the car. However i do smoke still. I am expecting most responses to focus on smoking but please be balanced and not signpost to this unnecessarily.

Many thanks, Dave

• Posted

I feel for you Dave and thankfully I have not experienced thigh cramp since my awful excruciating experience a few years back!

I read in a magazine that pinching the web like piece of skin in between your thumb and forefinger eases cramps and I have to say it works for me! Except I don't pinch, if I feel a cramp coming on be it my toes, calves, or foot then I shove that area of my hand in my mouth and bite that piece of skin like lightening!!!! Loooool and it works!!!!

I have also heard and found cramps can occur, when you're dehydrated or from lack of salt in your body.

Book yourself in for a sports massage if it re-occurs as that worked for me also.

Hope that helps, Good luck

Jane

• Posted

Thank you Jane. Chemist said electrolyte and quinnine. But she's not allowed to dispense without a prescription. I'm going to see doctor Friday morning Jane. It's been in the background all day but I'm hoping it won't reappear tonight. I'm grateful for your kind thoughts thanks.
  • Posted

From memory I think I was prescribed quinine, and was advised not to take it after I'd got it, read up on it first, am pretty sure it's what they also give for Malaria. Just be sure before you take it. Good luck
  • Posted

I have night cramps occasionally for some time, but last night I had the most excruciating I have experienced. it affected my whole right leg, and wouldn't respond to stretching or massage. I was unable to move for a while, a terrifying experience. It's actually reassuring to find others with the same experience. I hate to think I might have this again!
  • Posted

I started having this extremely painful cramp in my right inner thigh about 5 years ago. It reoccurs about every 4-6 months. I was really frightened the first time I had it as it is very scary. I have found it better to stay in bed as getting up seems to make it worse. I furiously massage the muscle with both hands squeezing as hard and as fast as I can. Once the pain subsides, I stretch my leg out straight, lying on the side of the cramp. My theory as to the reason could well be dehydration. I don't drink much water and I had had a few glasses of wine. My doctor told me it could be a magnesium deficiency which seems to help but then I forget to take them for a while.
  • Posted

Thanks Pamela, yes I need to go to docs. I would be so scared if it happened again. It lays dormant for a while. I drink lots of fluids during the day and do not drink alcohol. It must be an electrolyte thing or the like
  • Posted

Leg cramps are bad but those in the upper thighs are the worse. I occasionally get them in the lower leg

and relaxing helps. My first experience with upper thigh cramps in both legs was about 5 years ago after

several hours of dancing. Had it lasted for 5 minutes more an ambulance would have been called. Absolutely terrifying. I had one in the right upper thigh last night when I tried to get up off the couch. The pain was

intense, accompanied by cold sweats, and stomach pain that sent me to the bathroom which is bad

because sitting causes increased pain. Usually it stops after 10 to 15 minutes after drinking lots of water

and 2 ibuprofen .Subsequently, I experience muscle pain in the area for a few days after.I was once

prescribed quanine which worked much quicker to alleviate the pain, but I believe exhaustion followed by

inactivity and dehydration is a major cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.