Thigh muscle pain after Knee Replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had my 2nd Knee replacement on Nov 17th 2017 ( right ) Had left done 11 weeks ago.

So far have 103 bend and -1 on straightness. This surgery took an extra 30 minutes and the thigh muscle hurts a lot and I had to stop the leg lifting because the after effects on the thigh muscle. Anybody else had problems with the thigh muscle.

Also have noticed under my scar area ( Had the knee glued back up ) under the taped area on the wound that looked like some blisters. No redness or oozing from the wound. Has anybody had this happen

This is a great place for questions and I appreciate the feedback

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey I had my left knee replaced Nov. 14. I got back to work Jan. 7th. I was still having thigh muscle aches when bending the knee and raising with the thigh muscle. Now I'm not really feeling any pain at all. I'm guessing I've gotten use to the area being tender and I just move forward.

• Posted

Hey I had my left knee replaced Nov. 14. I got back to work Jan. 7th. I was still having thigh muscle aches when bending the knee and raising with the thigh muscle. Now I'm not really feeling any pain at all. I'm guessing I've gotten use to the area being tender and I just move forward.

• Posted

Hey Buddy,

I have thigh pain often during leg lifts.  And the region is almost always sore.  I also had those blisters looking things under the tape.  My first thought was it was from glue from the tape. Then I decided my leg was so swollen it was going to explode.  All went away when they took the tape off and let my injury breathe.  Just make sure they clean your scar when changing dressings.

good luck to you

p.s.  I had a little oozing, but Nurse Ratchet told me not to worry about it unless it got worse LOL

• Posted

Hi , my knee was also glued and I also had these blister looking bits which I felt a bit anxious about but then soon disappeared and just seemed to be part of the healing process.
  • Posted

I had 2 knee replacements, one on Aug. 28th, 2016 and the other Nov. 2, 2016.  I was doing good, then had a setback and back to therapy, now doing pool exercises.  My problem is not the knee, so much (except I can't kneel without feeling like I'm pinching a nerve on the kneecap) but the thigh muscles right above the knee are very sore, (like you feel when exercising too much) and it is hard to stand up without aid from sitting.  It's very frustrating, and I don't know why it feels this sore.  I wonder, did they cut muscle and it just takes longer to heal?  I'd like a doctor to answer these questions.  I had the therapist do dry needling and it helped for a short while, then the pain was just as bad, so it's a waste of time for me.  They told me it could take a year to feel normal, but I'm thinking it's not going to happen.

• Posted

Hi there Debjo,

Your account of post-op knee replacement problems is a replica, word for word, of my own experience. I am in the third month since a tkr of my right knee. Like yourself, it took a while after the op for the unpleasant thigh muscle symptoms to develop. To compound my discomfort, I have considerable lower back pain on and off, and have to sit down periodically because of this. According to some folk, this is owing to realignment of other bodily 'bits' that were over-compensating for the defective knee before it was operated upon. I also experience pain if I apply pressure to the medial ligament to the left of my patella. Just hoping that painkillers plus the passage of time will alleviate these awful symptoms. The other knee also needs to be done at some stage but I'm not going to rush in until more healing of my right knee is in evidence.

This tale of woe is probably of small comfort to you but at least it reassures you that you're by no means alone while coping with your symptoms.

Best regards,

Donald

• Posted

Donald61613 and debjo52, I finally feel like someone might understand what I am experiencing! I had right total knee replacement on Jan. 26, 2018. My range of motion is 120 and -3. I am walking without assistance and have been for quite sometime. My issue, too, is the pain! It is right above my knee. It is excruciating to go from sitting to standing without feeling like the muscle right above the knee is literally ripping!😣

i go back to work monday and am super nervous!

• Posted

Hello buddy! I am status post Rt total knee three weeks. Wow!!! What a difference .......I wanted to say after surgery. One respect is I do not have the same knee pain. I believe most of it is from surgery. What I also have is the unrelenting thigh pain extending from the back of my thigh, slightly below the buttock cheek through the low thigh, popliteal region (behind knee). I cannot sit...period. I saw the ortho past week, and he assured me that this too shall past, along with the "sprained ankle". Mind you, between typical trauma of the surgery, Lovenox (blood thinner), things I feel they will improve. I am fairly black, blue and various sundry shades of the spectrum that go along with it. I do not regret having it done as I was on the way of being on some type of assisted walker, cane, crutches until I got this done.

I keep up with therapy, no matter how "vocal" my physical terrorist says that I am (one more week of PT at home) before going off and letting the public hear me "!@!!" I knew it was no cake walk and accept there are tears before returning to the gym. I do my best to suck it up and let the pros do their thing. What I would be happier at is a little more freedom from someone who is use to coming and going at free will.

I'll keep in touch and so should you. I would love to hear from other "kneebies". We're all in the same situation.Just don't pull me.....have to stay an extra week in the hospital due to a respiratory complication post anesthesia.It delays your fun!!! SpeedBarbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.