Thigh muscle pain after total knee replacements

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had 2 knee replacements, one on Aug. 28th, 2016 and the other Nov. 2, 2016.  I was doing good, then had a setback and back to therapy, now doing pool exercises.  My problem is not the knee, so much (except I can't kneel without feeling like I'm pinching a nerve on the kneecap) but the thigh muscles right above the knee are very sore, (like you feel when exercising too much) and it is hard to stand up without aid from sitting.  It's very frustrating, and I don't know why it feels this sore.  I wonder, did they cut muscle and it just takes longer to heal?  I'd like a doctor to answer these questions.  I had the therapist do dry needling and it helped for a short while, then the pain was just as bad, so it's a waste of time for me.  They told me it could take a year to feel normal, but I'm thinking it's not going to happen.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi you say you want a Dr to answer your questions, honestly don't think that's going to happen on here but you might get some very good advice.

Have you been back to see your surgeon as really he/she is the best person to decide what's going on.

Knees are not great at healing quickly and you do need to be constant with your exercise regime, you have to do it daily and ice/heat whichever suits yoy best.

Doing exercise just when you feel like it want work, its a continuous and hard routine to follow.

Make an appointment with your GP and get some answers, its a slow process and yes muscles take longer to heal

• Posted

Yes, I saw the surgeon as my GP told me to, and he just sent me for more therapy.  I probably need to do more than my usual pool therapy, but that seems to be the best I can do.  It takes me a day to recoup from that, so I go every other day.  I do leg lifts, but probably not enough.  I know doctors won't answer on here, and I appreciate any experience others have had.  Thanks for the advice of the ice as I haven't done that in a while.  I'll try that.  Ibuprophen was my best treatment, but it doesn't help a lot.

• Posted

Deb, are you still in touch with your surgeon? My surgery was this past April and I know the pain you are experiencing. Yes, they cut muscle to be able to put your new knees in place. That's the quad muscle and it will hurt when you sit and get up. I've also been told to expect a year to pass before all feels well again. I go to PT 3x a week for now and aquasize twice a week and will keep going as long as the insurance keeps me covered. Feel better!

• Posted

Thanks, that explains a lot.  I hope to feel better soon, too. I hope the same for you too!
  • Posted

Hi deb

had my tkr last September i was always of the understanding it was the nerves that were cut and the muscle moved away to allow the knee to be replaced.

one thing i have picked up in this great forum is everyone has different healing times and in your case you have had a double whammy be patient and easy on yourself i hope all goes well

good luck.

• Posted

Keep doing your quads exercises Debjo.  You may have some muscle wastage.
  • Posted

Hi. I'm not a doctor....but I had my TKR end of November 2016. When my physio sessions came to an end at the end of February, within 3 weeks, I felt like I was regressing. I admit I wasn't doing all of my exercises.....but then I was missing the machines used during physio. So.....I joined a gym. I go 2-3 times a week...using treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical,and leg press. In the beginning, I was also going to aquafit classes. Sometimes, I have pain around the kneecap....I use an ice pack, massage the area, and occasionally take Tylenol & aspirin together for pain relief. Works great for me. I also saw my surgeon this past Tuesday, and his explanations to my questions put my mind at ease. It can take up to a year to really start feeling good. So, continue with using your knees....it will get better. And you had BOTH done. I'm not sure I could have done my other knee so soon after the first. Look back to where you were before your surgeries....I hope things are better now. Best wishes for your continued recovery.

• Posted

Thanks for your insight.  I just do the water exercises for 30-40 min. 3 time a week, as they told me not to do the leg press until I'm better.  I do the bike when I feel up to it for 10 minutes before the water ex.  I am 65, so not too young or too old LOL!  But I AM walking much better than before the surgery.  I have to think positive and realize what I am able to do and not what I cannot do.  It helps to get others perspective and ideas too.  I tried all kind of meds, and did aleve and ibuprophen, which seemed to do the best.  Probably not the best combo.  Everyone is different in that department.  Thanks for your best wishes and same to you!

• Posted

Thank you. Did your physiotherapist have you doing the treadmill at all? I was leery about it because I thought I'd be flat on my face....but I held on to the sides (still do)....it really helps. On all of the machines I mentioned, I only do 10 minutes each. Elliptical was the most difficult. I also go backwards on it.....and the bike.... having music in my ears (plugged into my phone) REALLY helps get through the "workout". I am looking forward eventually to no pain at all.....at least that is my hope!!! Take care...

• Posted

No he didn't but just to walk in the water, as that is good exercise too.  A lot of people do that here.  We have a pool at the local hotel and I can go free on Silver Sneakers.  They also have a fitness center where I can do the bike. I will try the treadmill as you suggest.  Have you been able to kneel yet?  It feels like a pinched nerve when I do that and very weird.  I do alterations and need to be able to kneel eventually.  I can bend over real well, though, so that helps, LOL!  Take care too.

• Posted

I was told I would NEVER be allowed to kneel on my leg. It was under absolute no-no.
    • Posted

I was also told kneeling is pretty much out of the picture. I got into bed one night the wrong way and saw stars! 
    • Posted

Hi again! 😊 If you haven't done the treadmill before, start out slowly (at speed 1). And make sure you hold on to the handles. When finishing on the treadmill, I decrease the number until it stops. If you've never been on one before....PLEASE have someone show you how it works. Kneeling.....I haven't been told NOT to do it, but I've tried, and it is most uncomfortable....I tried on my bed figuring it's softer. Maybe in time, but it isn't an absolute necessity!! Lol. Maybe you can just have the person stand on something, and you can sit on a stool? You might have to get someone's to build you a platform for people to stand on.....Just a suggestion.

• Posted

I hear you there!!! I "forgot" about my knee one night (God only knows how I did THAT!!).....attempted to climb into bed (I'm undertall 😉, thick mattress/box spring).....won't be doing that again any time soon!!!!

• Posted

Oh, great!!  When they asked me what I expect to do after I get new knees, one of the things I said, is getting down to clean my cabinets. I have to wash my floors on my knees too.  Well, my husband is good enough to do it for me now, but I am going to complain when I see my surgeon at my one year appt. (Maybe I shouldn't as I have a good thing going, LOL!)  I want to ride a bike, and I'm scared to ride the real thing for fear of falling.  My husband wanted me to get into a boat, and I can't without holding onto both sides to get up, which you can't in a boat.  I still can walk better though, so that is a good thing.  What can everyone else do better now?

• Posted

I kneel, started practising on my bed around 6 weeks post op. Was a good flexion increasing activity. I use knee pads kneel on both knees, and don't kneel for extended periods of time. Also not the bum on the heel type kneel! Opinions vary I think but I was not told not to.

• Posted

I do yoga! And need to get on my knees sometimes when painting ...it is not uncomfortable, with practise and plenty of padding!
    • Posted

So I went in and tried again on my bed just now since I can bend to 120. I could not balance it before, kneeling on my bed. I did it! Look Ma, No Hands! Glad I could balance on both and gently lean back and not fall over! Thanks for the idea, Jenny!

I def. Use knee pads. The kind that do not put weight on knee cap..

• Posted

I can walk, I can dance..... I am planning to ride my bike outside soon (I'm chicken too), my leg is straight....it used to curve outward when I walked before (was sooooo painful).....so yeah! Life is certainly improving!!

• Posted

Here's something to remember on treadmill too. There needs to be a small incline. Like to 1 or 1.5 to help lessen the strain and impact on knees. I don't use a treadmill much, but trainer always told me to add some incline for the knees, not a lot just to not have it on 0.

• Posted

I didn't know that. Thanks. Come to think of it, my PT did add incline.....maybe I just conveniently forgot. Lol. Will add a bit next time I'm at the gym.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.