Thigh pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm 3 weeks following a RTHR. What I'm troubled with is nasty thigh pain. Managing about the house on 1 stick and taking 2 with me on walks but in last few days just holding the other. Doing little jobs in house using trusty grabber. The ache is there all the time at the moment and particularly at night. If others have experienced this is it normal post op and how long? I'm doing what exercises the physio gave me daily plus extra. Thanks

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi i am also 4 weeks post op and i have exactly the same pains. Yesterday i pottered round the house then my daughter took me to the supermarket we did use a wheelchair but i was so uncomfortable both in the chair and getting in and out of the car and boy am i paying for it been up since half past 3 this morning and this is the worst its been note to oneself Do Not overdo it its just not worth it also feel as if im sitiing on a rolled up sock so quite swollen today too. xxx
    • Posted

Poor you Tracy. I'm 4 weeks. Can walk indoors with no support. Have been coastal walking for 3 days this week. About 45minutes each time. Tried it with one cane this morning and I'm a bit sore on return. None of our journeys are the same or our recovery. However we can all identify the frustrations and the issues on this site.

Take care. Rest up this weekend. Next week will be better. Live and healing hugs xx

• Posted

Well at such early stage its common and easy to still get plenty 'o pain.  My 'care team' mentioned that a lot of thigh pain means you doing "too much".  I think how much you do, depends on your healing rate, inflammation and surgical factors (what exactly was strained, bruised stretched) so can vary greatly among people.  There's like this fitness vs healing and fitness for healing balence that keeps changing.  Iceing may help, more rest, going easier with the exercises.  

I was having some experience and found that long as i still did some walking and briefly a few exercises my progress was about the same as 'pushing harder' but with a whole lot less aches.   My guess is that there is a minimum theshold where if you are too inactive, you'll not progress but this I think involves mostly lying around all day.  A little walking several times just around the house a day goes a long way..

• Posted

It's so hard to get an even balance. You're told to get out and walk but to what distances never had advise after op. Will keep same distance over next few days and see if that helps. Most likely it's just that area recovering and to expect this ache. ??

• Posted

Hi Jane

The advice from my physio was that every 24 hours the hip would get stronger. I was encouraged to walk as much as possible and do the exercises as it all aids the speed up of the recovery. There are days when I know I have had a good day and done too much. Then if I don't sleep I am wiped out the next day.

Really hard to get a balance as you say.

Everyone's advice from medics seems to be different depending where and who carried out op.

Sandra.

• Posted

Thanks Sandra. All I had from the physio was a walk on the same day as op. 2nd day my blood pressure was in my boots and fainted x 2 so no physio. Walk next day put on 2 sticks, up and down stairs and a wave goodbye. Sheet of exercises but no other physio. Little and often will be my motto. I can see improvement daily. Thanks for your advice
    • Posted

Well yes, its tricky and we get some conflicting advice and hear stories that conflict.  My doc would respond "isten to the pain, let it be your guide".  But that sure conflicted with the PT and the nurses which were more like- load up on pain med so you can maximize your PT.  But I can maybe add a bit of unique happening:  My BP rather low and I menopausal anyway so get hot flashes some.  With this surgery with all its inflammation it often lowers BP, with that the blood loss basically they couldn't get me off the floor for nearly 8 days!  While prior to the surgery, I could bike, run around , I 'd faint easily- Day 9 I was finally well enough to walk 50 yards or so.  So for the first 2 weeks, I was in bed 23. 5 hour of 24!. And still exhausted.  On day 4 or 5, I could get to the  bathroom with walker- My leg felt like it was going to explode til about day 8, then still incredibly sore but lot of the fluid was off.  I did lots of wriggling and small bed exercises though-  At 4 weeks 1 day, I could walk with no limp and no crutches a very short disance.  I'm now 5 weeks 0 days, can do this about 60% of the day maybe more- If i walk around the supermarket, that'll wear me out for few hours and there'll be aching later.. More soreness on rump area and even higher due to muscles haven't used for years as was weeble wobble for few months or more before the surgery-so there is that too..

• Posted

I worked out a walking regiem for my husband post a heart failure episode, he is doing so very well, decided i would use it for myself.

First week home walk around inside the house, then next week walk to letter box out front, couple of times a day, then the neighbours letter box for three or four days,agin coupole of times a day, take and use crutches if necessary,I added a neighbours letter box every third or forth day , and even if i felt a little stronger a second neighbours letter box, I found flat walking easy, but had diffuculty with a hillside.  I live in an area in Brisbane Australia where our front yards are about 15 meters across, so that gives you some idea, with our letter boxes out on the roadfrontage.

Dr very impressed with my husbands improvement, and also my ortheo delighted when he saw me walking without crutches at 12 weeks, had built up my walking to about 1 mile or about 2 ks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.