Thigh pain after hip replacement

Posted , 156 users are following.

I'm wanting some feedback on high thigh pain after a hip replacement.  I am 68 years old (female) and am 10 weeks post op cement hip replacement due to severe arthritis.  I have been going on very well and thought all my troubles were over, but have now developed pain which seems to be centred just underneath the buttock and goes down the leg slightly.  I have been doing the exercises that are given to you and the pain started when I had done a batch of them.  Speaking to the physio she indicated I may have strained my hamstring.  Am due to see her in ten days time, but I have read that this type of pain is not uncommon.  Has anybody else experienced this?  Am on painkillers again and very disappointed with this set back.  Am I expecting too much too soon? Hope to get your feedback.

21 likes, 418 replies

418 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Soxy, congrats on getting through THR! I am 68 and am 29 weeks post-op for THR. As I have painfully discovered, there are many muscles/tendons in our buttock/hip/thigh area that can be injured either during surgery, as they pull soft tissue aside for the procedure, or afterwards. I have never yet been able to walk unaided without a limp/pain since my surgery due to muscle/tendon strains or tears. I have a second orthopedist ordering scans, and I will see him next week as we try to figure out exactly what my problem is. Sometimes the answer is very straightforward, and other times it is not, as when the muscles/tendons are the ones that are buried inside and under other soft tissue.

If your problem is the hamstring, and if it is just strained and not too badly torn, then they will be able to recommend what to do for it to get better. It usually involves the protocol called P.R.I.C.E., which is Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. You can google it for details. Then, when the muscle isn't sore anymore, you can work to strengthen it. It should just be a temporary setback for you. 

• Edited

I do hope it is a temporary set back, as it old be horrible to think that we have to go through this operation only to have another set of problems appear.  Is ten weeks a bit soon to start panicking do you think? I do hope you get a solution to your difficulties.
    • Posted

Soxy, a muscle/tendon strain can happen at any time to any of us (with or without operations) at any age. It is just one of those life situations that we experience and then have to deal with. The vast majority of muscle problems resolve with proper rest and time. Sometimes, if the tendon is torn completely off the bone, surgery must be done to get mobility back. It is unlikely that is your situation. If that indeed is MY problem (which I hope it is NOT!), the new orthopedist can do surgery to reattach it. So I look forward to full recovery at some point.
    • Edited

Soxy..just be patient. Make notes of your improvements...like today my leg only felt like 50 lbs instead of 90 lbs..lol..

I could walk side wats for 10 steps without an aide..

Soon the events will change..

We forget..it is major surgery..not an "oil change"...

Positive thinking and noticing the improvements are powerful components to better days ahead!

Give it a year..give it two...improve daily ! It's better than carrying around a deteriorating hip..and living on meds as we sink into unhealthy aging!

Hugs.

Pilots wife!

• Posted

Hi

I have exactly the same problems and doctors suggest 2 things exercise and may be a nerve block might help

Sorry to hear about your pain

• Posted

I am getting thigh pain today - precisely because I over did it in the physio gym today - I knew I was pushing it a bit, but like a silly boy, i continued for the full hour.

Then I paid for it by having to use my stick again to walk around town, very slowly.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I hear you. We all want to get back to normal and push ourselves too hard. I am definitely guilty of that. Hard to slow down when your used to going 100 k an hour 😜 Take care

• Posted

I hear you.  Spin class is fun, but I pay for it for 2-3 days afterward.  The hip stress is relatively low, but my operated side doesn't like it yet.

• Edited

Give yourself time...I know it's upsetting when you feel this pain, but it's just your body telling you it may be too much too soon....I had this same issue and it's all but gone now....STILL if I overdo, I have pains...I hear it takes a good year to really recover....it's been 5 months for me
    • Edited

Thanks for that Sandra. I would definitely say that the exercises have not helped in my case, and I have been very careful, but I think you are right that it takes longer to recover than the '6 weeks' which is time that is often banded about!  Seeing the physio in ten days time so perhaps she can point me in the right direction, but it's a long old job isn't it?
    • Edited

Six weeks is just very basic recovery - I should be back at work after 12 weeks, but most who havebeen through this say at least a year to fully recover.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Edited

I'm beginning to think you are spot on with that and it does make me feel better to hear it as it isn't just me who isn't running marathons at six weeks!
    • Posted

At 10 weeks after my initial hip replacenment, I was still using one stick to walk.  There is nothing fast about this recovery lark.
    • Edited

I'm 49... 3 YEARS after my surgery and still have thigh pain if I do anything excessively.  Swam for 2 hrs, 2 days in a row, and can barely walk today sad My surgeon told me awhile back that in younger patients it can take longer... as it's the femoral stem (of replacement) growing together inside the bone.  It sounds logical.  Til it all grows/mends... it really is like a fracture.  I'm just bummed that this is happening 3 years down the road. sad 

• Posted

Im 73 and the surgeon did the same with me.  No cement -  bone to grow around the stem.  Its been 11 weeks since my surgery and my thigh hurts mostly when i get up after sitting or laying. I will walk it off but it still is painful.  He said i was in good physical shape thats why he didnt use cement.  Im going to see the dr. in a week and see what he says.  May have strained a muscle during PT.   Other people say they are back to normal 3 mos.    Hope your getitng better.  
    • Posted

Hi Camille, I too had the No cement - bone to grow around the stem about 7 months ago.  I have done very well with my recovery, but I too had that same pain you are talking about in my thigh until I was approximately 5-6 months post op.  Thank goodness that pain is now gone.  My doctor told me that it would take about a full year to completely heal.  If you are anything like me, you'll be past that pain within a couple more months.  Glad to hear that you are doing well overallsmile

• Posted

Thanks Kimberley for the info.  I didnt know there would be thigh pain after surgery.  I am done with PT and was doing it at home everyday but the PA told me i may have caused a muscle strain so i stopped doing my "at home" therapy until i see the doctor next wednesday.  Glad you pain is gone and hope mine is too very soon.  Summer is coming and want to enjoy it.  Take care .  

• Edited

HI everyone! I had a total hip replacement 9 1/2 months age. I feel great except on certain occasions. I mowed my grass yesterday and have some thigh pain in my femur. Anyone else get this if you overdo it? Also, occasionally when the humidity is high my hip will ache a bit, nothing major. I also had a spinal when I had my surgery. From right above my knee to my ankle is numb. Occasionally I feel like electricity moving within my calf if that makes sense. It's numb to the touch but actually I will have crazy pain if I shave my legs. Anyone experiencing any of this or is is just random weirdness with my particular recovery process?

• Posted

Same here, Camille. Ten weeks after cementless THR with

tight inner thigh pain or in various other places after sitting or

laying down. Will discuss with my surgeon next week.

I find it helpful to shimmy my legs before taking a step.

I am 63 and in good physical shape. Do you do any special exercises for such pain?

• Edited

Thank you kimberley. It is good to know your pain is gone. I am 10 weeks post cementless THR with pain after sitting or laying down. I try to stand most of the time! There is comfort in knowing others experience similar symptoms.
    • Posted

I am 11 weeks post right THR and I'm having similar pain. It comes and goes in the entire thigh, but there are a couple spots that have consistent pain, back of the thigh right above the knee and in the groin. I was doing my exercises daily until I read that I may have injured myself if I'm having groin pain. So I pulled back. But I think I'm sore because I'm doing too much daily without keeping up with my therapy exercises. I've been back to work 2 weeks now and my body doesn't like it.

• Posted

I had the anterior hip replacement done 9 weeks ago and I am doing great except, like you, when I overdo it, I have the pain which feels like it is in the incision site, but to the right of it (right hip), it's still numb.  And I occasionally get those twinges of pain, like the nerves are trying to reconnect.  I did quite a lot last weekend in preparation for Easter company and my hip is still achy, especially after I sit for a while and then stand up and start walking.  It's very painful for a while but seems to get better with every step.  And they are doing the left hip in July!  Ugh.

• Posted

Hi Carol, I just joined the discussion. I am 7 month post op and my mid-thigh pain seems to be getting worse. I read that you had some pain after laying down and i am experiencing the same thing. Standing definately feels better. Have any exercises helped your pain? I don't know whether to stop walking orcontinue hoping the stem will set itself. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Sandra. Are you now pain free? Did it help you to slow down if you overdid it? I'm 7 months post op and still having mid-thigh pain. When you did overdo it, how long did it take you to recover? Thanks, Dave

• Edited

Hi dAVE,I HAD MY SURGERY ON MAY 31 AND I AM GOING ON 3 MONTHS. MOST OF MY PAIN IS WHEN I AM SITTING OR LAYING DOWN. I AM IN THERAPY BVUT AT TIMES I DO NOT THINK IT IS WORKING I HAD TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT THE PAIN IS ON MY MID THIGH. IT GETS TO THE POINT THAT I HAVE TO STAND A FEW MINUTES TO START MOVING AND ACTUALLY SHAKE MY LEG AROUND. SO I KNOW WHAT EVERYBODY IS COMPLAINING ABOUT.
    • Edited

Hi Andrea, just wondering how your thigh pain is now that you're (around) 4 years post op. Also wondering if you've found any therapies/exercises that help. I am 3.5 years post THR and still have thigh pain, sometimes making it very hard to walk even short distances. My surgeon says it is due to micro-motion of uncemented stem, and at followups he continues to say it will resolve and is quite dismissive. "Take Tylenol." I am 65 and in very good health, used to run marathons, ski, etc, so this is quite distressing. My recovery was excellent for almost a year and the pain started in year 2, probably as I became more physically active. I don't think exercising less is a good option, though exercising more wisely makes sense, if I could figure out what that means. Physical therapists and osteopath haven't been very helpful. I have learned by trial and error what I can/can't do: elliptical/cycling/stretching workouts are fine, but extended walking (especially while weight bearing or on stairs) bring on serious pain after 10 or so minutes. Carrying my grandchildren is a big no-no, which is a drag. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

p.s. My other hip was resurfaced 14 years ago and is excellent. Sadly they no longer offer this option where I live in Canada. 

• Posted

I am 4 months post up from posterior total hip replacement. When I sit too long, my thigh hurts when I get up . After I walk, the pain goes away. I still cannot put my socks on without the help of my socks helper.

I ride a Stationary bike and it does not bother me. Riding seems to keep my thigh from getting stiff. I am hoping that in a couple months, the pain will disappear.

My surgeon told me that the best exercise was walking.

My hip replacement was due to AVN of the femoral head.

• Posted

Hi 

I have the same issues with my thigh I had my THR 4 month ago and my muscles hurts when I sit down and get worse when I go to bed I can’t sleep on the side wher the new hip is and the doctor said sometimes takes longer to heal could be up to 12 month

I am still doing physio and walk every day

I feel better when I am moving 

• Posted

I have not tried sleeping on my operated side yet. I will wait a couple more months for that. My surgeon said my pain was from muscles still healing. The only pt I had was 2 weeks at home therapy. Surgeon said I did not need physical therapy, just walk. I am glad I did so well after surgery, but I am impatient in wanting this pain to go away.

My surgery was Aug. 8, so this Tuesday will be 15 weeks post op.

I'll come back in a month with an update.

• Posted

I forgot to mention my age, 73 years young. First time I ever had surgery.
    • Posted

Minnie it too me 3 1/2 years to find out why I was still having pain/numbness to the right of my incision (right hip) . I've been informed that it is bursitis., caused by all the stretching they have to do to get the new hip in. It thins out some of the protective covering that keeps your bone from rubbing directly on the skin. It doesn't get any better even with time. The numbness and pain when touched is still there after all this time... Along with the other issues. They now want to redo mine so I can only imagine what the pain will be like on round 2. I know this isn't the most comforting reply you might have hoped for, just letting you know what happened with me...I hope yours will get better and go away.

• Posted

doctor have different opinion the surgeon who operated on me suggested therapy but other doctor suggested just walking 

I am 11 month post pp. And still got muscles pain and I can't seep on it I am still doing the walking 

• Posted

I have numbness on the right side where I had the ANTERIOR THR & fractured femur, but none on the left hip where the femur had to be repaired.  There is no bursitis pain, unless I press either side.  So...I dont press.  However, I don’t walk, other than short walks with the dogs or when I’m shopping.  Walking too much gives me horrible cramps when I’m 💤 ing & can keep me up all nite.  No problem sleeping either side.

• Posted

I’ve just recently developed pain in my left hip when I lie on it a bit long - as in sleeping ....  this is 2.5 YEARS after. How does one get hip pain in an artificial limb, I’m wondering? LOL
    • Posted

If u had an artificial limb, I don’t think you’d get pain...haha.  I’m always going from side to side when I sleep.  There’s no pain, but there’s an uncomfortable feeling that I should change positions to the other side.  Since my 2 small dogs also share the bed, they might also bring a little discomfort — but I wouldn’t change that for the world.  It’s been 4yrs for my right & a year for my left.  Just turned 77, so I can’t complain.

• Posted

I'm glad you are doing so well with it. I'll try to keep popping back in here once I've made my decision and get through all of this. I know I have to get off this fence soon. Just wish there was an easy way to quit the smoking... Too bad I enjoy it so much!

• Posted

I had both hips replaced posterior 5 years ago now 6 weeks apart, my right leg has never been without pain, numbness,  tingling and lack of strength. Walking and lifting the leg are the main problem. I have had bone scans done and got another opinion from a leading surgeon. I,m not sure I want to go through with further operations but to live like this at my age 53 is not something to look forward to.  I have had some pain relief with turmeric, we have been making our own capsules with organic turmeric and black pepper. I take 3 twice a day or more. (amazing for shoulder, arm problems) Also Tai Chi exercises. Hopefully sharing can help someone, goodluck 
    • Posted

I quit cold turkey 15yrs ago...when I lost my job & decided I couldn’t afford to smoke.  Put on 40 lbs that I can’t seem to shake tho!

• Posted

Thanks that good to know because it is worrying thinking something has gone wrong.

• Posted

Hi Paula, I am 4 years post surgery of my right side, also in Canada, and I experience the same pain and causes as you reported having in your thigh. If I carry anything of a.alight weight or more, I'm hooped. It is the worst thigh pain, although it seems to resolve fairly quickly after the tremendous burst of pain that either suddenly occurs, or I can feel it ramping up and boom, worst pain ever. A massager or roller can help when the pain is ramped up the most. my surgeon said sometimes they cannot figure out what causes the pain. Ugh. The xrays looked good and they sent me on my way the last time I went in about it, a year after surgery, which is when it started. My left hip replacement works great though, and I have never had a problem with any pain whatsoever on that other side. Thanks in advance of your reply! Much appreciated. 😊🍁

• Posted

How is your hip feeling now? Did the feeling eveŕ return in your leg, and have your thigh pains now resolved? Or improved? Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.