Thigh pain after hip replacement

Posted , 156 users are following.

I'm wanting some feedback on high thigh pain after a hip replacement.  I am 68 years old (female) and am 10 weeks post op cement hip replacement due to severe arthritis.  I have been going on very well and thought all my troubles were over, but have now developed pain which seems to be centred just underneath the buttock and goes down the leg slightly.  I have been doing the exercises that are given to you and the pain started when I had done a batch of them.  Speaking to the physio she indicated I may have strained my hamstring.  Am due to see her in ten days time, but I have read that this type of pain is not uncommon.  Has anybody else experienced this?  Am on painkillers again and very disappointed with this set back.  Am I expecting too much too soon? Hope to get your feedback.

21 likes, 418 replies

418 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello Soxy, 

First a warm welcome to our Hippies Forum -

I have nothing to add to the comments - Your PT  is probably right in that you pulled hamstring - What exercises were you doing that might have caused this ?

How about walking ?  are you using a stick or cane?   do you walk with a limp ?

I am asking these questions because there is so much involved in walking properly (again) - Our brain needs to be retrained and will go for the least resistant way - for me that is stooped and limping - 

So it is common Soxy - take care and be aware of your posture - Maybe massage the spot????  

Big warm hug and let us know how you are getting on.

renee

• Posted

Thank you for your comments Renee. The exercises are those given by the Nuffield Hospital, so are bona fide ones.  I have not been doing them excessively, but I have no doubt that they have done more harm than good and have contributed to the pain.

I do not use a stick in the house but do when outside, although I haven't been outside much since the operation. My walking is normal and no limp just this pain at the top of the back of the leg which goes down the thigh muscle.  Can I ask you how long it took you to recover from your operation?

• Posted

I realized yesterday when I wasn't using any aids to walk that I tend to limp. I have limped around for so long that I think this is habit.  Maybe some of the issues might be tendenitis? Or maybe even bursitis. This healing takes a while. I start back to the gym next week. I will be doing all pool stuff for a while, probably walking back and forth is going to help me more than anything..great exercise and you are light with bouyancy in a pool...

• Posted

I get thigh pain soxy, I think it is just part and parcel of the 'damage' during the surgery. The muscles all need time to recover properly, then they need retraining. We are probably doing too much.

If it is really hurting I do think you should rest up for a few days and let it pass. We all have set backs like this, and it makes you feel terrible, I know. But it will get better and even when you are not bouncing around and doing exercises your body still continues to heal, so you are not at a standstill ~ just taking a breather. 

We all expect too much too soon is my experience. We will get there soxy!

• Posted

Thanks for your positive feedback Rose. Will take heart.
    • Posted

Soxy, Rose is right there - a week or so ago, i rested for 2 days, then when I got up the next day, I was so much better, I was suddenly walking without my walking stick.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Soxy

I am 10 weeks post op and I still have pain in my lower buttock making it painful to sit at times!  I still need a stick when outside but am trying not to use one inside.  When I mentioned it to my consultant his answer was that it takes time, not to worry as it takes a year to fully recover!!!!!

I feel that I'm not doing enough some days then when I try to do more the pain kicks in and I have to rest for a few days.

The recovery for me just seems to be taking so long, I definitely thought that by now that I would be walking pain free without aids - how wrong could I be!!!! 

It is so annoying for people to keep telling me that so and so was up and about and back to work within 6 weeks................. Feel like punching them, they should try going through this !!!!!!

At least I know that I will be back to normal but .......it takes time.....

Good luck X

• Posted

Your recovery sounds exactly like mine!  From what I'm reading I don't think there are many people who have completely recovered after 6 weeks.  I think that's a figure that's just been plucked out of the air.  Keep in touch and let's hope we both improve.  I am desperate to see light at the end of the tunnel.
    • Posted

Carol,

Thanks to your post, I just noticed that I seem to have lost that 'sitting on a golf ball' feeling sometime this week ........ and having had it for so long I thought I was always going to feel it there.

Happy recovery

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Carol can you punch them for me as well!! smile how rude and insensitive....and makes you wonder if they have had a total hip replacement at all! 

I had a friend I kid you not whom texted me to tell me that she was skiing that week and I must bear in mind (and take heart apparently)  that at the top of the slope skiing that day there was someone there who had 'just had a hip replacement' literally just fresh out of surgery, I had actually just come out of surgery and was just finding the strength to haul myself out of the bed to the loo, not launching down a ski slope. I was really fuming to be honest, the message probably well intentioned made me see red for some reason. Do we need these comparisons or 'supportive' texts?? People I don't even know in the early days would come over whilst I was hobbling around the shops, and give me the life story of their next neighbour who never once used crutches and was playing golf within a fortnight of his replacement. It is just SO annoying and unwelcome. Do we look like we need to know that as we painfully hobble around, hands on fire?

I sent back a message to said friend in the end saying that was great about the skiing, I had just mastered the art of peeing without it drawing tears to the eyes, she was a bit sheepish after that.... 

• Posted

😂😂😂😂That made me laugh Rose, you are so right, I am so fed up of people telling me about someone they know who was running a marathon within 6 weeks etc etc!!!!! Getting bored by it all now , if only they knew what we actually go through, even now at 10 weeks po, sitting on a normal toilet is agony, as well as sitting on hard chairs 😁😁😁😁

These people have really no idea.......

• Posted

Graham

I so long for that day to come when I can just sit down and there's not that golf ball feeling 😃😃

Took your advice about walking quicker as opposed to slower and it's definitely helping with the limp and the penguin walk 😃😃😃😃

Thanks for that and hope you are recovering well.

• Posted

Yep, not too bad - I did over a mile without the stick yesterday - well I had it, but carried it all the way.  Off for another walk this morning as the sun is out.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I am now 11 weeks post op and have seen the physio who now says that rather than the pain in the back of my upper leg being a hamstring problem, she thinks it is more a sciatic nerve pain which would coincide with it being awful some days and not so bad on others.  This has possibly been caused by exercising, particularly doing the leg lift one whilst sitting on a chair.  So, no more exercising for me, just general walking about and trying to keep things mobile. Hope you are doing OK Carol, it is such a long job isn't it.  Anyone else out there had this sciatic problem?
    • Posted

Hi Soxy, I feel it's never going to end some days😬😬😬😬 The problem I've got now is excruciating lower back pain!!!!! I'm not using anything walking around at home but still use a stick while I'm out, well the past few days my lower back has been so painful while I'm out walking that I have to stop, I'm supposing it's down to posture and learning to walk properly again but it definitely seems to be one step forward and two backwards lol!!!!!!

Im meant to be going back to work soon, however, it now looks like it will be at least another 2 months or so, or until I get this walking pain free sorted!!!!! I just keep thinking by summer I should/will be back to normal........

My outher thigh continues to be uncomfortable, however, does feel just like muscle pain, I can cope with that but the back 

aim is something else, I don't know why it has just started this past week????? 

Anyway do keep in touch and let me know how you are going.  One day all this will be a distant memory 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂 xx

• Posted

Hi Carol 

Nice to hear from you but sorry you are having an uncomfortable time too. All we can do is to take one day at a time and hope things get better.  I'm still taking ibuprofen and hoping the pain will abate.  Hot water bottles best for a bad back I find are the best.  I will probably put a new post on and see if anyone else has problems with sciatic nerve pain.  Keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi Carol...I also have the lower back pain, thigh pain and just general aching of the entire body because I am walking "funny".....going to doctor today to complain about not feeling better...14 weeks out!  Going to ask him to take an picture to see if all is "ok"....hang in there.

• Posted

Hi rose,i'm with u on this,i keep hearing bout folk who r a lot older than me (52) who have "sailed thru it" i'm 4wks post op and not "sailing thru it" i was beating myself up,then came accross this forum that made me realise we all heal at diferent times,some folk can b so tactless!! Xx

• Posted

Yup Pauline, that is basically what my doctor said....altho he did say he thinks a lot of my pain is from my lower back (arthritis, bulging discs etc)  He did take an photo and went over it with me thoroughly and said it looks like it is doing fine....said to continue with PT and not overdue golf (maybe play every two or three days-not try to play every day) and to see about getting in to see a back doctor....(which I will do)....Hope you have a good day today and each day gets better.
    • Posted

HI CAROL.

I AGREE WITH YOU A HUNDRED PERCENT ABOUT PEOPLE DOING SO WELL. ITS BEEN ALMOST 3 MONTHS FOR ME AND I AM STILL IN PAIN ESPECIALLY AFTER SITTING OR LAYING DOWN.

• Posted

Your reply text gave me a smile. I am 7 weeks post operation I don't have any walking aids for I week now.

Although on the first few steps after sitting for a while I have pain down my thigh. I have had my checkup last week and the consultant said it takes 1 year before its normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.