Thigh pain after tkr

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 13 days post op from a left tkr and am having trouble sitting due to a pain in my thigh, above the drain wound and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Would love to hear from others about their experience during recovery x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had this and the physiotherapist said it was where the tourniquet had been, I was also badly bruised in that area. I am over 5 weeks post surgery now and that pain has gone from there although still in a lot of pain around front of knee. It is a long , slow and painful recovery. Main thing is rest, ice, and take pain relief regularly. Keep up with exercises, but if you are in more pain or very stiff, be kind to yourself and exercise a little less on that day, especially when the swelling goes worse. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Jannette1, I was starting to think it was something more serious, I have managed to get my bend to 100% but straight leg lift isn't that good but I won't give in, and I will conquer it x
  • Posted

I had TKR nearly 4 years ago now so just trying to think back.

Basically it does take about a year before you really begin to feel the benefits.

Sorry if that sounds a long time to you at the moment

It is a long hard road but it has certainly been worth it for me in the end.

Hope you continue to improve.

Take care nd keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah it does seem a lifetime away but I know I will get there, it does feel a little easier each day but even using the slightest bit of energy takes it out of you. I would love to keep in touch, a bit moral support will help immensely x
  • Posted

Hi Glynis!

It sounds like your pain might be TOURNIQUET pain. Mine was about five inches above my knee and felt like someone had LITERALLY stabbed me with a STEAK KNIFE! It was the first pain that I felt after I awoke from my surgery. It took about three months for it to go away completely.

Keep a positive outlook as you recover. Look for small victories that show you that you are getting stronger. Expect to have to come up with new ways of WALKING and feeling strangly as you RE-LEARN how to move normally. We all have learned to compensate because of our pre-surgery pain.

Give yourself credit for each bit of progress you make! Get plenty of rest even if you don't actually sleep.

My recovery with Knee#1 took about twice as long as Knee #2 which was four months later. I think this was so because with my second knee I was stronger thanks to my physical therapy with Knee #1.

I had PT twice a week and practiced EVERYTHING also at home. I stopped if I had any pain. I stretched A LOT.

I am about seven months and three months out from my two TKRs. I still get stiff at times but can move well. I am glad I had my surgeries when I did!

Take care.

Check out the MANY recovery stories here at this site.

Stories are many and varied about recovery following surgery. Each knee is different...even when a person has surgery on both knees, results often differ by the knee!

You will be fine.

Keep positive. It takes time to heal.

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl I know it's going to take time and a great deal of perseverance to regain fitness, my straight knee lift is the worst for me as before surgery I couldn't do this and I know I need to build the strength up in my muscles before it gets easier, at the moment I do my exercises twice a day and ice three times a day, pain relief is still as I had in hospital, onwards & upwards x
    • Posted

I think you will find that certain exercises are a breeze and others remain difficult. During my second recovery (right knee) my PT had me stop doing the exercise where I would slide my foot up and down this smooth board as I was on my back. The exercise caused shooting pains the whole length of my leg and REALLY aggravated my sciatic nerve on my right side. She said that there were other exercises she could have me do that would accomplish the same goal. I used the Total Gym for a substitute, and because I would use BOTH LEGS at the same time, I got stronger legs AND had no pain so could do many additional reps.

I also learned to work stretches in throughout the day as I went about my daily activities. Working exercise into normal activities gave me more practice AND made the experience more fun as I figured out how normal movements = exercise-like movements.

After all, the exercises are to help us learn how to get back normal movement anyway!

Wishing you continued success as you recover!

• Posted

Hi Glynis,

idid not experience what u r describing, but I will say that sitting was the most difficult position for me. 14 days is still a very difficult time. I am almost 6 weeks out from TKR on my left knee. I have been off the strong meds for about a wee; I was on codeine and Tylenol . I was able to stop them and am now just taking Advil. It does get better a little every day . Exercise; but don't push it to the degree that u hurt ur self! Elevate; VERY IMPORTANT to reduce swelling!! And ICE. BEING KIND TO URSELF IS OF UPMOST IMPORTANCE. know that u have experience a major surgery where a lot was done inside ur knee. As u can see from this forum, everyone is so different. I always say: I know when I'm ready for the next step.

yesterday went to the movies; a theatre that has very cushy, reclining seats!! And out for some dinner w/ hubby!! This was a milestone for me and really helped to lift my mood. I almost felt normal! BUT, today I just came from PT and I am hurting, so I am elevated and icing.

good luck, just have patience; ur surgery is still. Rey recent. BY THE WAY , I live in the states, I've noticed that the surgeries seem to be done somewhat differently over seas!?

• Posted

Today is day 15 post left tkr, tried to do my exercises and having trouble with my calf and foot cramping. The discomfort is nearly as bad as my knee pain, anyone else suffered with this, if so what can be done to help ease it x
    • Posted

Do you take a multivitamin with minerals? My dad was getting cramping in his legs, and his doctor suggested the vitamins with minerals. Cramping went away!

Bananas are good for potassium. Our son eats several each day and has eliminated cramping he was getting when he was running.

Drinking plenty of water to hydrate seems to help me, as does making sure that I take my multivitamin with minerals each day.

I had my first TKR seven months ago and my second three months ago. I also take 2000 mg. Omega 3 (fish oil capsules) each day.

Haven't had any cramping by adding these easy fixes. Sometimes the body just needs some specific additions to run smoothly.

Wishing you great success with recovery!

• Posted

Try coconut water, very hydrating and potassium
  • Posted

My staples were removed yesterday (all 31 of them) and I must say my mobility has increased immensely, I've even found a difference in my ability to do the exercises. I'm still bothered with calf cramps but find putting an ice pack on it helps take it away. x
    • Posted

Congratulations on getting your staples removed! Thirty one is more than I had!

We're you faint at all? I got hot and TRIED to hold it together, but I could only be BRAVE until they were OUT. Then I fainted!

Hope all goes well for you!

Keep in touch!

• Posted

It was very uncomfortable made worse by my husband sitting watching everyone taken out, I started to sweat a bit & felt a bit nauseas but luckily I didn't faint, even the nurse said 31 was a lot but am over the moon with the way it has healed.it will be nice to keep in touch Cheryl xx
    • Posted

Sounds like you are doing well.

Once the staples are out it feels as though you can move without RIPPING them out. That's a welcome feeling!

Try to rest when you can. Rest helps you heal.

Yes, I look forward to hearing all of your successes as you recover!

• Posted

I'm doing ok, my pt has said everything is looking good, I'm still getting the odd cramps in the calf but I have started eating more bananas and taking multivitamins, and I'm also drinking Indian tonic water as I have been told it can also help with cramps.

Oooh the relief once the staples came out was incredible, the tightness practically disappeared immediately.

Because I don't sleep to good at night I go and lay on my bed for a couple of hours on an afternoon.

Thanks Cheryl it's great chatting to someone who has been through the same journey as myself xx

• Posted

This site REALLY HELPED me in my recoveries! It seemed like no matter what issue I was going through, many others had already gone through it or were going through it when I was.

I have gotten SO MANY great ideas here!

Grab sleep whenever it comes! I napped all the time those first few weeks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.