Thin black line on thumb nail... ideas?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This thin blackish line showed up on my thumb nail a few weeks ago. it hasn't grown out at all so I'm starting to get concerned. It doesn't seem as thick as the melanoma pictures so maybe a splinter hemorrhage? No other symptoms. Has anyone else dealt with this? image

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you feel OK? You could always check with your GP if you are worried?

• Posted

Feel totally fine. Just wanted to see if it means anything before running to the GP.

• Posted

Ok, I don't know if you're a man or woman, but do you wear acrylic nails ever?

Also, is there a ridge where the line is?

• Posted

There's a lot of things it could be, but having no ridge and not wearing acrylics rules out a few things.

On rare occasions, a mole or nail injury can grow as your nail grows, pulling it along. However, malignant melanoma can appear that way. If it gets darker, you absolutely need to see a Dr ASAP!

I would go now, but I know not everyone can run to the doctor at any moment. If you can't, monitor it and take pictures of any changes. If it starts to lighten or disappear as your nail grows, it's likely it was some kind of hematoma. They can sometimes run along the nail like that.

PLEASE make an appointment ASAP if you can. A dermatologist is the best bet.

• Edited

hi id like to follow-up if you already have a diagnosis from a dermatologist about it? mine looks exactly like yours.

• Posted

Mine as well! very curious to hear what the diagnosis was.

• Posted

Hi, what was the issue in the end? I have this on my thumb nail too it's come out of nowhere last week. Very worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.