Things I candobut things I CANT TOO

Posted , 10 users are following.

have had both knees done Both years ago

not that awful pain now but still..i cant walk far or i hurt i cant step down into boats now and the thought of golf is history i have felt old before my time

life changing..these knee replacements. Does anyone understand?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

yep had both done , can walk okay but always feel unbalanced going down stairs , cant kneel , hard to get up of floor or out if bath , yes makes me feel older than if they were original! My legs look old now , didnt before ops . I know how you feel . My first one was an injury , dont run !! bad fir your knees

• Posted

yep had both done , can walk okay but always feel unbalanced going down stairs , cant kneel , hard to get up of floor or out if bath , yes makes me feel older than if they were original! My legs look old now , didnt before ops . I know how you feel . My first one was an injury , dont run !! bad fir your knees

• Posted

i know where your coming from had both knees done 2 years ago cant bear the pain if i try to kneel have difficulty getting up of the floor if i am sitting playing with my grandchildren on the floor. i honestly thought it would be better than this.

• Posted

Sue....I totally understand. i had my second knee done almost 8 months ago and i feel much older because of lack of stability. My husband insists on being home while i have a bath as hes afraid I will fall. I am waiting to see another surgeon to fix my patella as it has slipped to the side. My first surgeon when he did my TKR said the patella slipped to the side but thought it was repaired. Swimming is impossible and I still cant do leg raises.

• Posted

I had my second knee done in May, although they healed differently, I'm becoming more confident day by day. I agree that it ages you but you have to forge forward-you can't go back. I was so tired of daily pain ; my golf game sucked and I felt old every day. I just wanted the daily pain to stop. Time heals all wounds-I'm going to change my attitude and hopefully, these surgeries will be a distant memory . Best of luck to everyone

• Posted

I understand competely. wish I had never had this surgery.

• Posted

I had my first TKR at 50, 2nd one done at 51. I definitely feel old before my time, i also have trouble kneeling, i use a cushion or pad & getting up isn't easy. Hills are a struggle but i am persevering! I have been losing weight and working on strengthening my muscles to make life a little more bearable. Sometimes i do wish i was normal again, the implants definitely don't feel they are part of me. But i am trying to be positive, I am stuck with them for 20 years. Hope things improve for you all.

• Posted

Yes I agree with you I am going to try and get some weight off and get to the gym

Have to beat the depression surrounding this down

i hope we can all stay in touch here and vent if we need to

• Posted

i look at all the comments and all i can say is wow i feel terrible for you all, had my right TKR 4/30/19 and its been a living nightmare to top it off i fell 1 day after surgery and had to get a revision im 48 and i feel like im 60 my knee and my body lost alot of weight i also feel like my part is loose but surgeon says its not i feel very uncomfortable and unstable walking , climbing up and down the stairs because i have total weakness in my leg also the clunking and clicking is really painful especially when im sleeping tossing and turning bending the knee nothing but a painful feeling clicking and clunking but its only been 3 months so i guess its patience as usual

• Posted

I had bilateral knee replacement in December 2018 and thought the end result would be that I would feel younger, be able to do more and live a better life. That was definitely a dream that did not happen. Have spent last night and today in tears. I try to be positive and keep a happy attitude for my family and friends, but I am worried that this will never go away. I am in more pain than before surgery. I do have better mobility but not enough to merit this much pain. I am fighting depression and feel that my doctors are at a loss to help me, everything suggested has not made a difference. Fear of the unknown and constant pain for 7 months is taking it's toll. I have days where I feel things are improving and then the pain tells me otherwise. I feel older, need more sleep because of pain, can barely stay up until 10 pm, use to go to bed at 1 am most nights. I hope one day I will be happy that I had this surgery, but that day cannot come soon enough.

• Posted

I had bilateral knee replacement in December 2018 and thought the end result would be that I would feel younger, be able to do more and live a better life. That was definitely a dream that did not happen. Have spent last night and today in tears. I try to be positive and keep a happy attitude for my family and friends, but I am worried that this will never go away. I am in more pain than before surgery. I do have better mobility but not enough to merit this much pain. I am fighting depression and feel that my doctors are at a loss to help me, everything suggested has not made a difference. Fear of the unknown and constant pain for 7 months is taking it's toll. I have days where I feel things are improving and then the pain tells me otherwise. I feel older, need more sleep because of pain, can barely stay up until 10 pm, use to go to bed at 1 am most nights. I hope one day I will be happy that I had this surgery, but that day cannot come soon enough.

• Posted

DEIGH....so sorry to hear of your journey. There has got to be an answer to your pain! Why do the doctors think you are still in pain?

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. My surgeon says he's never seen this before, a d he's been doingsurgeryfor over 30 years, and my family doctor is baffled. Both told me that I should stop physio and just try to live life. That's not easy to do. I have a friend who says he had similar pain for 2 years before it went away.

I try to walk every day, or go in the lake and exercise. I have 48 steps to the water and I can go up and down without issue. The surgeon and my family doctor, have both done xrays that show mechanics are good. I don't know why the pain won't subside if everything is good though.

• Posted

I feel for you. I dont have pain except when i roll over in bed and thats because of the knee cap moving. its taken me 7 months of wearing a patella brace until the surgeon said i needed more surgery. Funny thing is before the TKR the knee cap was on the side and caused no problems except for the bone on bone pain. i can exercise at the gym without any problems but i cant walk very far before my back and hip hurt. They hurt because of my awkward gait.

Deigh i hope that soon you are able to get some relief. Ask for a second opinion. Keep pushing your doctors.

• Posted

Thank you. I am calling my surgeons office today. You are right, I have to keep pushing for an answer. I had issues with pain that you are talking about as I was walking with a different gait because of pain. My chiropractor was able to sort that out. I hope you find relief as well. what a difficult path we are all on.

• Posted

Deigh...just a thought to help with your pain. I am in Canada where cannabis is legal. My surgeon would not prescribe opiates after 3 weeks as there is a big concern about addiction. I used cannabis oil in the evening just before bedtime to help with the pain. It also really helped me relax. There also is medical cannabis without the high. I had it in chocolate ...a gift from my son. You should discuss this with your doctor. Its used here with cancer patients.

• Posted

I am in Canada as well and have been using medical marijuana for years. I get one with a high THC level and it helps me sleep at night. Without this, I would not have been able to get the rest needed. I also have a CBD oil that a friend made for me to rub on the area, or digest to help with the pain. Both really help. Such a better alternative to taking opioids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.