Think I'm dying

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey, so I had my first panic attack 3 weeks ago, completely out of the blue. While I was lying in bed watching TV. I was unaware it was a panic attack, and my immediate thought was that I was about to drop dead  any second. Ever since that panic attack iv had one pretty much every night. And everytime I think I am about to die. Meaning I beg whoever is with me to call an ambulance, I have been put on beta blockers, and anti depressants as well as been given diazepam's for real bad times. (Although I haven't started taking the anti depressants yet). I now sit up every nigh, freaking out, crying, checking my pulse. Thinking I'm about to drop dead, untill about half 4 in the morning, when I drift off, iv managed to convince myself that there is something underlying my panic attacks and that I'm going to die anytime. I wake up from my sleep each morning, shocked that I'm still alive, everynight seems to be the same routine. Of me getting into bed, then il get a headache and start to feel dizzy and light headed, with blurred vision. Iv had my eyes tested, my pulse checked, iv been checked for diabetes, and had my blood tested as well as blood pressure, and it has all come back fine. But I just can't get it out my head, and can't live like this anymoresad 

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that u have been like this... I have had similar ... I had ticks aswell. Which is involuntary body jerking as well.... My limbs feel tingly then twitch all by them selves.... After a few days of this I went to hospital ... I had a series of Tia ... Was also diagnosed with PIONEALOMA at the same time.... Have u had the jerking feeling??? Have u had a MRI?   If it is a neurological problem then a MRI might help u figure out what this is... Hope this helped... God bless. Let me know how u are going...
    • Posted

Hi Tracey, thanks for the reply! I have had the twitches as well? A bit like what happens when your falling asleep? But I'm wide awake, no I haven't had an MRI, my doctors keep just passing it off as anxiety and panic attacks, and won't take it any further, although iv gone to the doctors about it multiple times now! X
    • Posted

Nice to meet you Tracy. I have been dealing with anxiety and depression also and it totally sucks. It is very scary and the thoughts feelings feel so real! I feel like the Dr's don't know what they are talking about.. 
  • Posted

Hi.

Just thought a bit of experience might help.

I started the same as you when I was around 16, out of the blue started having panic attacks, only ever at night, bad sleeping pattern, days without eating etc etc.

I'm now 24, on an antidepressant and a beta blocker and had prescribed a 7 day supply of diazepam.

I can tell you from experience that taking the beta blockers without the antidepressants is basically allowing yourself to feel down which leads to intrusive thoughts which, as you know, leads to a panic attack, but then you're telling your body its not allowed to have a panic attack to alleviate the fear, no wonder you're feeling so crappy mate.

My suggestion, start the antidepressants now, within 4-8 weeks you'll be where I am now, completely at ease with myself and panic attack free, regular sleeping and eating and being able to get on with my day and I have Thanatophobia so I think that's an accomplishment all on it's own, don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but I have a fear of my inevitable death and not being able to do anything about it, not dying whilst having a panic attack. I stick by that if these meds can work for me then they cam work for anyone, including you.

Take whatever the doctor prescribed you and you'll be feeling better in no time.

Now I'm not saying this will be the end of your anxiety or depression but therapy should help with that, CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) to be more specific.

A combination of meds and therapy should have you back to your old self in no time and off the meds quicker.

Hope you take the advice and are feeling a little happier soon.

Danielle

• Posted

Hi Danielle! Thanks for the reply, I was always scared to start taking the anti depressants, because I know a few people who've been on them, and they said they sometimes made them feel worse, I'm a complete hypochondriac. But il definitely start taking them! Xxx
    • Posted

Yes you do feel worse but what you have to understand is every single antidepressant out there has a 4-8 week period where your anxiety and panic attacks will get significantly worse but they are side effects and I wont lie to you, some days you'll want to stop taking them and start to question why you started, don't be disheartened, you've just got to persevere, after this period the side effects start to wear off and you'll start to reap all the benefits that your antidepressant can offer you.

Your propranolol will help keep your panic attacks under control but if you feel you need that extra push then don't be afraid to ask your doctor for a Benzene ie Diazepam to just take the edge off so you can sort your head out whilst adjusting.

I hope to hear you're doing much better very soon and I'm glad you've taken the advice.

Best of luck

Danielle

• Posted

Hi. I've been experiencing panic attacks for about 3 weeks as well. And let me just say every time I think I'm going to die I think I went to the ER probably 7 times over this and they keep saying everything's fine. I've finally realized you cannot die from a panic attack and that's the number one thing to remember is although you feel like you are you aren't, your not having a heartattack your hearts not gonna stop! It is so terrifying I agree. If you want some tips on how to relieve it, you say your on medication, is that helping? Have you ever tried counciling? One way to relieve is if u feel anxiety coming on just breathe . Do yoga. Or breathing exercises, also exercising at all will take away your anxiety you feel like its sarting to come on go take a walk or something. Also taking a bath or cool shower will help relieve it. Also, if you have any pets spend time with them it helps. Talk to someone. Socialize. Don't be a homebody over your anxiety. You kinda have to push yourself but you can do it. Go hangout with people and try to have fun. Try to keep distracted watch movies listen to music read whatever you like to do. Try a hobby. Cuddling does relieve anxiety. just putting that out there. Do anything you can do to keep a busy mind. At night mine tend to get worse as well. But before you go to bed maybe try some yoga or breathing exercises and take medication. Also though. You say everytime you start to have these symptoms you beg the person that's with you to call an ambulance. But you'll have to get past that I went through that cause I was so convinced I was dying and I did call an ambulance to get me before when I had one. But there not really the answer . There painful and scary but try to not do that as much . POSITIVE SELF-TALK if your alone and your feeling it coming on start saying good things to yourself to make yourself feel better. Hope this helped. Um I'm going through the exact same thing as you! Hope you get through it, and i hope these tips will help ! I hope so! 
  • Posted

I konw how you feel, I think I'm going to die to. I can't stop thinking about it when I should be sleeping. I wake up every morning after only 6 hours sleep and just can't get it off my mind.  I hope you get better
  • Posted

Finally after suffering for 2 years of exactly what you are, i found the answer!!!!!!

I had...

-panic attacks

-dizzy all the time

-blurred vision

- constant headaches

- spots in my vision

-depression.. though i think it was cause by feeling ill all the time.

-pinching in the brain.. like a stabbing in one spot.

I travel outside the country and notice that i didnt feel sick at all! So something in my house or work was causing me this.. .....

I left my job for two months and it wasnt that.

I left my house but i continued to feel ill.

Then i stopped using my car and OH MY GOD!!!

EVERYTHING STOPPED!

My car was killing me.. gasoline fumes where poisoning me and slowly killing me.

If it is just a coincidence then I dont get it... why did i as soon as i got in my car the first day ater a month.. i got a terrible headache and my heart was pounding hard and felt so much anxiety... i sold my car and i am doing very well.

• Posted

A lot of people take medication to control their anxiety attacks. For me personally, I wish I had mine in private-mine happened in public and would make me do weird stuff like leave in mid conversation because I could feel this strange flash revealing it'self inside of me, my face getting hot-eye site drifting back like blacking out, sweat on my forehead and I once heard a perfect adjective explain it as, "gingerale on the brain," (The Sopranos).

For me, there was a lot of 'stuff' going on, mostly social fear I guess but, the important thing I wanted to share to anyone dealing with this-and that's if it is severe anxiety disorder and not something else far more serious needing medical attention but, there is a way without medication. The first step is talking about it with someone. Educating yourself and learning to cope with it. While I did use medication in the beginning-it was mainly due because I didn't know what else to do till speaking to a very smart doctor who said that I could master techniques to eliminate these effects. It is after all a mental condition-why not use a mental solution to fight it off? For me, it worked. I began to take notice when these attacks would come. I'd feel my body internally, my hands, my feet planted on the ground and how my mind used to try to take my conscious from me.

I'd take control by telling myself that this is not something I want to happen and even ask myself, why is it happening? I'm not scared of anything or anyone. I'm not going to let this take over me any more!!

I did things like that and here I am years later, I have yet to have a full blown attack that knocks me off my feet! I feel it coming but then I pretty much self talk myself out of it.

I know it's hard. This ** with me for many years before I was even brave enough to admit that I had this problem. I was ashamed of it and these days, we're in a whole different time where men aren't afraid to talk about things like this anymore. The only problem of today I see is that we're so quick to take a pill for every thing. you don't need a special pill for everything. That's something you and every one else are going to have to find out for yourselves however because some of us may need something-but I doubt it..Good luck to every one. Anyone beginning to experience this for the first time and are reading this, I know it isn't no joke but I tell you this man, you can beat it. Don't let it * with you! More than likely it's some underlying * that happened to you that went undealt with as a child or something similar to that. It's important to always be honest with yourself and face all of your demons. Don't allow anything to go unnoticed for I promise you, our make up has a way to reveal themselves one way or another..

Good luck 

Emis Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

Hi iv also been suffering with panic attacks and health anxiety for the past 4 months, I work in a nursing home and all of a sudden in September I had my first panic attack all of a sudden and nobody At work helped me when I said I felt like I was going to faint, so I left work and went to hospital. They done the usual tests and said it looks like anxiety, I didnt go back to work for 6 weeks after this as i was to scared to go there or even leave the house. Iv managed to go back to work now but all of a sudden iv convinced myself iv got epilepsy and its driving me crazy, I havnt a clue why this has come in to my head. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get these thoughts of having an illness out of my head? Im going to book a dr appointment asap and im hoping by hearing a dr say its all in my head maybe I can get over this. 
  • Posted

hey geeodoherty.I have same problem too.

I am 21 i feel the same problem, last few months I felt my heart tooooo much high and  now a days I feel huge headache and every symptoms starts with panic attack in no time usually at nights.I really can't sleep a single night for a long time for this. I was about to die few times for these kind of panic attack. I checked my heart, thats fine.I just cant live like this. sometimes I feel pain everywhere that comes in my mind. is it nervous system disorder? will I ever be okey??

• Posted

Hi everyone, I have had this problem since early this year... I have panic attacks all the time everyday. I feel dizzy, headaches, and twitching all the time. I am in High School right now and it really sucks because I have them all the time. I havnen't gotten anything checked because my parents are just saying that its Anxiety and I just panic a lot! Could anyone help?!?!?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.