Think I’m having issues with my pituitary gland but not sure and need help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm desperate! And sorry this is so long but please read because I need help and opinions and input. I've been having a bunch of different symptoms since I had my daughter in 2015 and recently they've gotten way worse. I have depression, extreme fatigue, weight gain especially around my middle and I cannot lose it, irregular periods, dry skin, I'm cold especially my hands and feet, I get nauseous, hair loss which has been causing worry because I'm losing a lot of hair and i dont want to end up with bald spots or thinning hair, and I just generally feel unwell all the time. I also found it interesting while reading a bunch about this stuff that the pituitary gland controls prolactin and with both of my kids I had to formula feed because I didnt produce milk. I first went to my GP and he tested my thyroid but only my TSH and it came back normal. I then went to an endocrinologist and he tested much more but my thyroid hormones were still in the normal range. On the low end, but normal. We did find that my LH was low and my insulin was high. he prescribed metformin for the insulin and I've been taking that for a couple months now. I just went and had my blood work done again for a follow up and my insulin is still high, LH is still low, and my thyroid is still normal but on the low end. My TSH was 0.59, free T4 was 0.9, and free T3 was 2.8. I read that a lower free T4 and a lower TSH could be a pituitary problem, that coupled with not producing breastmilk and all my symptoms lead me to think maybe it is my pituitary. But most of my labs still fall within the normal ranges. Also, I had CT scan at the beginning of the year for something else and that came back normal. So I don't think I have a tumor. So I'm just confused as to why I have all these symptoms and feel crappy all the time. I'm tired of feeling like this and just want to feel normal so I want to get to the root of it all so any input would be helpful cause I'm at a loss. I also get frequent headaches and migraines. I have my follow up appointment on wednesday and would like any input before then. Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

have you had your prolactin levels checked?

• Posted

i have not. i should probably ask to have that checked huh. i just know that i wouldnt produce milk when i had both of my kids.

• Edited

You should still have a level of prolactin consistent with not being pregnant or post-partum.

I don't know if any told you that TSH = Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, which is the signal that your pituitary sends to your thyroid gland to tell it to turn on (and off) T3/T4 production. So it doesn't seem likely that your problem is there.

Have you had your ACTH and Cortisol checked? Because 'fatigue' is associated with low cortisol. I should know! (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. It wasn't a fun time).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.