Think I may have ME. Doctors say anxiety.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all.

Been looking for some answers for my current problems and believe I could have ME/CFS.

I struggle with anxiety and notably health anxiety so any issue I now have my doctor just pigeon holes it as anxiety however I struggle with insane muscle pains, especially in my legs, which comes on after doing anything strenuous. So much so I've had to stop working out. I'm 32 year old Male. I've been having periods of unusual fatigue, again usually after doing anything strenuous but the fatigue for me isnt as problematic currently as the muscle pains but I can see it is getting worse. I had a throat infection in October which lasted 5 weeks and did not get rid of it until end of November and a lot of the issues I have had have progressed gradually since then. My throat hasnt felt right since really and I've been waking up last week or so coughing up all sorts. My legs get restless after strenuous activity and twitch and stiffen up. I've had chronic diarrhoea for months as well. I've had numerous blood tests done in October and December and they all came back fine. Due to ongoing neck and back issues I had an MRI in December too which showed no pathology, nerve compression etc. The doctors seem to think it is all in my head which is becoming very frustrating. I was on mirtazapine for 4 weeks from mid December until January for my anxiety and sometimes think my issues could be withdrawal from this but seems unlikely. Does this sound like I could have CFS? If so do I just keep badgering my doctor or play the waiting game?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry you are having so much trouble.

It is hard to advice in a situation like this, but my first thought is that this could be a number of things, and that you should check side effects of all medication carefully and stay with the doctor, not claiming ME specifically but saying that there is Something wrong which is not nerves.

• Posted

Particularly if he was ever prescribed CIPRO or FLUOROQUINOLONES. Effects of which can occur long after initially prescribed and Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome is very similar to CFS

• Posted

Thanks for your reply however I am not on any medication. I took mirtazapine for 4 weeks and have not had it since mid January.

• Posted

It took over three years for the three courses of them that I each time stopped after about three days due to tendonitis finally reared its ugly head with more disabling consequences.

• Posted

To be honest I can't remember ever having taken antibiotics so I dont think its that. It could be the mirtazapine I know people have had issues withdrawing but some of the stuff I experience started before I took them.

• Edited

With me they first told me it was depression. 6 months later when nothing helped, they finally took me more seriously and tested me for "anything and everything." I got a diagnosis of CFS/ME when they discovered Epstein Barr but EVEN THEN it took 5 more years before I found that I have Lyme pathogens. I was told that it's part of a protocol to first diagnose it as depression and if you go back at least so many months later with no improvement they will dig deeper.

• Edited

Thanks Dianna. I am moving house and therefore changing doctors so I think I will hold on a few weeks before going to see my new doctor. I've had numerous bloods done in the last few months so I am comforted it is hopefully nothing life threatening but I just don't feel right and it isn't down to anxiety / depression (which I have been dealing with) so I am concluding it could be CFS. Your reply is very helpful, thank you.

• Posted

I too had that diagnosis - depression after my mother's death which was 2 YEARS earlier! They do that, especially when they do not know what to do with you..

The doc who took over gave me a month's medication against depression, saying it was part of excluding it. It had no effect (except some weird side effects) and so that was crossed off the list.

• Posted

What were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

What were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

Yes, I tried the meds once and had weird side effects and said "never again." I don't do well at all with meds anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.