Think I need help!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I've been drinking 3-4 beers sometimes 6 almost every night for about 4-6 months  due to stress and pain using it to coperolleyes my husband is getting quite concerned and so am Isad I'm not into AA I know I can quit on my own, just need some support from people in my shoes... any helpful  advice you can give me to start my journey to quit this filthy habit I'm tangled up in? I also smoke only when I drink 😤 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You Havnt been drinking that much for long.So please please stop now.I wish someone had told me that back in the day but the more and the longer you drink the more your pathways will be damaged.
    • Posted

Everyone thinks I'm not that bad!! But to me it is.., it's the guilt 😩 Alcohol runs thick in my blood line.. dad was an alcoholic my whole life till I left at 14 so I guess I feel I'm easy prey, but yes I know I have to stop but don't know how ?! I used to work out daily and meal prep until I started experiencing some lower pain and couldn't anymore, I'm awaiting surgery and need to be healthy, it was my saving grace but since I pain and can't, I turned to drinking and smoking.... there are a number of factors!! If I tokd you them all, you would be like OH THO WONDER!! 😩😞 heavy loads!!

• Posted

It's no good beating yourself up hon. Have you tried to stop?

Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Ok. Be careful. If you start feeling a bit shaky, you need to taper back gradually. My Husbands gp recommended 10% a day

You need write it down. I know drink diaries can be boring but they do help you keep track

Good luck

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Thank you Robin and Julie for your thoughts and advicewink I like this forum 👍🏼

• Posted

Hi Connie

Not disputing the fact you probably could stop, but I believe you need to tackle the pain and stress that is causing you to drink in the first place. If you don't, you could be driven to pick up again, right?

I take it you have been to your gp? Sorry for asking such a basic question. If it's a physical pain the doc will definately have something that can help. If the pain is causing you stress then the doc will have something for that too. Unfortunately, alcohol is a great pain reliever, but it brings along with it a whole load of other problems.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

PS excess alcohol causes more stress

Kind Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Hi Julie, yes I have, I'm awaiting surgery I've also reached to my doc for Councelling and through that I'm getting lots of helpful informationsmile I am doing all that I can to nip the things that are causing me stress but alcohol always has been my " go to" stress relieverrolleyes

• Posted

Like you I used alcohol as a stress relief. Massive amounts and i eventually and had to stop. You are right in being apprehensive and wanting to reduce your drinking. Try. Robin wishing you best of luck
    • Posted

Yes alcohol is so easy isn't it? Easy to buy, easy to drink. You will have to find something else to relieve your pain and distress. I know when my Husband used to taper back, he wanted lots of sugary things. There are a few people on this forum that will agree with me about sugar cravings after detox!

As your are seeing a counsellor, it might be a good idea to ask them for a strategy to help you find something to replace the hole alcohol will leave you with when you have stopped.

Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

You have to find a different coping mechanism for dealing with the stress. I totally understand, I was the same (up until a week ago). I wasn't in to AA either but I kind of have to go for legal reasons and it's actually kind of fun. Everyone is really nice and encouraging. You can go even if you haven't quit yet. 

Or, go and have a chat to your GP? Again, mine was really supportive and non judgmental. 

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.