Think I screwed up my pred

Posted , 8 users are following.

just a couple days ago i posted how sick i felt following a meltdown at an outdoor party coupled with severe summer allergies. following the advice of this forum on monday i increased my daily pred dose from 5 to 7 for a couple days. but: instead of taking 7, i screwed up and think i took 2 1/2--mistaking my pill bottles. yesterday i was deathly ill--couldnt get up, really. i took 10.

today im teensy better--took 10 again--my thinking is to take 10 again tomorrow and then 9,8,7, 6 and stay at 6 for awhile.

but im still terribly weak, just cant stand for more than a few minutes.

tomorrow im getting blood work done--dont know what it will show. what do you think? Am i on the right track? will i recover eventually? Did going from 5 to 2 1/2 for one day really set me back that far? should i stay at 10 longer than 3 days? i never recovered from the weekend when i took the 2 1/2 plus seasonal allergies are at highest levels. thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gosh you are not having a good time. For me I am on 2mg and I can not get down to 1.5, I have been trying since December. You need to be pain free on your current dose before you think about tapering. I used the DSNS method to get to this dose. The more time you take the more control you have with your symptoms . I have been on Prednizone since 2015.

• Posted

ive done dsns the whole journey just about--2 3/4 years. been at 5 for couple months, planned to stay at least the summer. im never pain free--never was, some of us arent. i dont expect to be.

i planned to increase to 7 after feeling so ill after the weekend from hell. planned to stay there 3 days to get back on track. monday i accidentally took 2 1/2 mg instead of 7, thereby cutting my regular dose of 5 by 50% instead of increasing it by 2 mg. i took 10 yesterday because i was so ill. i took 10 again today, still weak and lots of girdle soreness, but legs and arms arent aching so bad as they were yesterday. im just weak and stiff sore and feel sick.

my question is: what now? is 10 enough? stay there for how long? reduce slowly back to 6 and stay there for awhile? thanks! glad you are on such a low dose and pain free.

• Posted

I would not over react to simple mistake. So you were short 3-5mg one day, and you certainly added enough to compensate for it . Give it some time to work on your inflammation. As long as your increase is just for few days, you can go right back to your old dose, or thereabout.as soon as you feel back to normal.

• Posted

Hey thanks. to you and EileenH: whats a few days, do you think?

• Posted

Are you absolutely sure this is PMR and pred-related? Are you sure you don't have a bug of some sort? Coincidences do happen...

But the day you just took 2.5mg you will almost certainly have had an attack of steroid withdrawal rheumatism. And if your adrenal function is poor then that may well have contributed too. All together - who knows.

Rest and take a higher dose for a few days and see how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.