Think my Cellulitis is coming back...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I had cellulitis about 2 months ago. the bottom half of my lower leg is still a little pnk from it, and the bite that seemingly started it remains, though it hadn't been bothering me in 2 months. I took 2 weeks of antibiotics, (2 different types because the first type made me sick.) The second was penicillin. 

I wasn't convinced it was gone but my doctor said it would be fine now, and sometimes the discoloration takes a while to get rid of, or remains forever. 

But I was noticing pain when I put one leg over the other yesterday, and before bed noticed that a part of the pink had become warm and bright red. In the morning I could get a better look and it doesn't seem to stem from the bite but another red dot, and it's flaring outwards to the back of my leg and upwards a little. 

Is this the cellulitis coming back, again?

I'm terrified to be honest. Is this normal? Is this surely cellulitis back again?

Because surely you can't just keep taking anti-biotics because that will surely just make the infection stronger if they are clearly failing to kill it? 

Please help. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

A tip I learned from this site is to draw dots around the red area to see if it is growing. It does sound as though the cellulitis is returning, if it ever left. I'd return to the doctor. More antibiotics may be necessary. After my bug bite it took 2 months of antibiotics for me (as I was on wrong one being initially misdiagnosed.) The coloring (Stacis) that I was left with slowly disappeared. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you very much. I will do that, with a pen. I did that last time. I was only on for 2 weeks... Argh, I'm worried that coming off them would have just allowed the infection to get worse.  

is that possible?

I'm also slightly worried I have cellulitis on my face. The left side of my nose seems red; and not just the shadow. It seems red no matter where I move my head and very dry & cracked. It's not painful or swollen so I don't want to jump to conclusions but it does say it's quite serious on the face. My nan doesn't seem to think it is but I'm (slightly) terrified. 

How can you be sure if it is cellulitis or just some other rash or blotchy, dry skin? 

• Posted

panda off to the docs you need abs again some peps stay on low dose abs for a long time    i have had cellulitus 3/4 times i know that feeling well    i was in hospital 14 days twice with it introvenus abs scarey it needs to be checked asp
  • Posted

Thanks guys for the advice.

As it turned out, it was cellulitis coming back. Been on the antibiotics for just over a day now so I'm hoping in a day or two I might get a little relief. 

She said she didn't know what was wrong with my nose, but it didn't appear to be cellulitis so that's good. Though it randomly started hurting the other day like someone had punched me in the nose, or like it was all swollen inside. She said it didn't even look THAT swollen. It's very odd and worrying... 

Anyway all I can do is finish this flucloxicillin. Is it bad that the cellulitis came back? Painkillers WILL work right...?? Please tell me they will. I'm just sort of on edge. She said it likely came back due to my skin being very dry & I need to moistuize it. 

• Posted

hi panda glad your cellulitus is  getting better you must finnish your abs painkillers do help you get through it you need to rest leg dont know what painkiller your on  not nice when it keeps coming back   twice in hospital on ivs and 3/4 month with districk nurses sores bandages twice a week  i now have flucicillin in house on standby for flares up  makes me relax a bit   cause it can move at a fair speed if gets a grip   i dont know whether you got anything else going on health wise   need to check feet all the time athletes foot dry cracked skin  keep them lube up i use petroleum jelly    well i am off so take care
    • Posted

Agree with pauluk60 to finish your anit-b.  Never heard of pain killers being prescribed.  Steroids such as Prednisone, yes, but not pain killers. Just take those as needed.  Do try to baby your leg as long as possible. Elevation, cream; etc.  

To your nose, was it not treated?  Did the dr just dismiss that?  Maybe it's Staph Infection?  Does it feel like a pimple inside your nose? Ironically, you could have picked it up at the dr's office.  Maybe the anit-b you are on will take care of that too, not sure, not a doctor (tho wished I'd had married that one that got away years ago...lol!)  May I ask...has work been understanding? As I wrote weeks ago, I had to make a run to Walmart.  To my surprise, my cashier had a blown up elbow and what appeared to be an old bite mark on it.  I thought it too was Cellulitis. With no one in line, I gave him the name of my dr who worked miracles on me.  When that dr said my foot looked healed, I disagreed since it still was somewhat painful. He then put me on another 2 wks of anti-b.  At the end of the 2 wks I stilll felt like I wasn't out of the woods, but time does heal (most) wounds.  I was left with a little greyish mark (Stacis) which went away.  Remember, take it easy and good luck to you!

• Posted

Hey,

Yeah I'll def. take all of them! 

It doesn't feel like a pimple. She said I had a few blackheads inside but couldn't see the infection. It hurts a lot less now. 

All though the anti-biotics don't seem to be working fast on the cellulitis. I think it's just getting bigger. But not at any speed so it's hard to say? It's only been 2 days though so I'll give it another day. People say draw lines but when I have to be washing it and moisturzing all the time they just come right off. 

I'm slightly worried about ---well, what happened if these anti-biotics don't work? Peolpe say just give them time and anyway, there's a lot of other ones that they'd try if not. But I just tend to worry. 

I actually am at college right now. (On half term) so thankfully I don't need to worry about that but that sounds hard. I'm glad everything went okay in the end. 

• Posted

panda YOU MUST WATCH  THE CELLULITUS it can be serious  SEPSIS  theres a good read in syptom checker top of page
    • Posted

Maybe take a picture of you leg if the markation is coming off.  If your anti-biotics aren't working, try a dermotologist.  My family dr diagnosed my cellulitus as athletes foot and was giving me the wrong anti-b's for 45 days. Finally, I switched docs who switched drugs which worked.  For the inflamation and pain, my Prednisone worked wonders very quickly.

I'd say by Monday if no change, go to a dermotologist.  Good luck!

• Posted

sos panda comes under health information top
    • Posted

I am watching it? And taking my antibiotics. And moisturizing. 

Unfortunetly, when I woke up this morning my nose was hurting again so it turns out I was wrong and it hadn't gone, whatever that is. rolleyes Just more reason to worry the abs aren't working... 

Been 2 and a half days on antibiotics now. 

• Posted

panda i dont know how easy it is to see doc    if really worried phone out of hours docs 111  or goto a/e if you feel ill temp flue chills etc did you read about cellulitus google it nhs choices as plenty info
    • Posted

Thank you. I feel okay! A bit dizzy sometimes. I've been dizzy since taking my thyroxine meds again. I'm on so many pills now.

Seeing my doc on Wednesday so just continuing with abs til then! 

• Posted

Hey guys, quick update.

On my second week of Flucloxacillin & i came out in hives and rashes and my face started to swell. It was a weekend so i went to the walk-in clinic & they told me to come off my antibiotics and gave me steroids & antihistamines that i gotta take for the next 3-5 days.

I have to go to my GP for an allergy test to check if it was the penicillin or not. 

The doctor at the ER told me that since it doesn't feel warm and isn't spreading and I've taken 7 days all ready I should be okay. But it's not totally gone, y'know? And I don't want a situation like I had before where it looked gone & sprouts up 2 months later. But apparently with cellulitis that can happen anyway.

I don't want to make the bacteria stronger & stronger. 

• Posted

My daughter was just in the hospital for almost a week with severe cellulitis on her face. They started her on vancomycin and clyndomycin all through IV. Changed the clyndomycin to keflex. Got worse until day 4. Then she began getting better. Then another week on oral keflex. Hasn't cleared up much more since stopping the IV antibiotics. She has a penecillin allergy so could not take that.. is it common for cellulitis to return? I really hope not.

• Posted

steph sos to be bringer of bad news it does recur in lots of peeps in legs not sure of face

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.