Think very hard about surgery to your shoulder

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

i have many posts on here over the past 4 years. frozen shoulders. bad tendons.

if you are reading this you must be in ache and have problems.

this is just a word to think very hard if you are thinking about going down the surgery path. it really is not an easy path to take, i was promised a recovery each time.

now 25 months since the first operation and 11 months since the last operation i ache like hell still. more so than ever, worse than i ever have.

please just sit back and have a hard think on this. i am not saying its the wrong path, there are no short cuts with bad shoulders. we all seem to suffer, i am now back sleeping holding a pillow after spending 10,s of thousands of pounds on getting better.

now find myself contacting the surgeon yet again as it is affecting my work now.

please please weigh up all your options and think on surgery.

colin

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Colin.. your absolutely right . Shoulder surgery is a huge risk. I have lived with both shoulders going in and out of the frozen stages and torn rotator cuffs bone on bone by managing the issue becoming mindful of daily tasks and activities. Important to stay mobile keep moving and exercise accordingly to improve movement until healing and movement can be learned to a point of no pain . This is important, this is when healing has occurred.

Same with my hands and fingers . I have severe dupytrens and knees have meniscus torn in both , just keep movin and take care of all joints. Ice rest and using various supports made for different joints can help these injuries to heal on their own.

Do not over do, OR expect to be back to norm ... now we have a new norm...especially once the injury has started it needs time to heel on its own. Some injuries can heal quickly others cannot.

Although I have had 3 THR surgeries . Once surgery is done for osteoarthritis and new hip components replace the joints it a long recovery. It has lessoned the pain and improved mobility. My life will always have hip pain...always... period... But it can be managed and life is much different as movements are not the same and there is a adjustment period and always many movement limitations.

It's a huge acceptance decision after injuries that will help us adjust to limited motion . Always listen to your body stop when rest is needed. Surgeons are surgeons not necessarily with the right assessment for the patient. Surgeons learned skills are to repair the issue . They are not trained to allow techniques for the injury to heal on its own. Surgery is not always the answer. There are skilled surgeons and others have little experience. Some even create more issues. The surgeon could be the best in the world yet surgery is not always the answer . It is an educated choice. Give the body the time for self healing.

Do your research on the subject be your own self-advocate and understand what the surgery involves. I have allowed myself to accept pain as part of life . It's an acceptable pain level everyone's pain tolerance is different but this is my new normal.

this has been years of learning that surgeons can be misleading thru my own research and experience. And that is were we get into trouble believing surgeons that surgery will repair the injury & eliminate the pain for life. Some yes ...others not so much...

Important to help manage pain by vitamins and eat a sensible diet, rest , ice and know your limitations. Some injuries last a life time with severe pain if not repaired correctly, while others can be managed by keeping ahead of the injury and practice Mindful ness and how recovery effects movements and pain. Understanding the limitations and accepting that life will be different and that it is OK. Life will be different after surgery too. The normal function will never quite be the same. It's a huge life change and adjustment.

Sending healing vibes your way.

• Edited

Hi Barb

glad to see you are still peeping in . had a shocking three weeks of imaginable ache.

its one year in a few weeks time from the last operation and it has started affecting home life ( grumpy as hell ) and now work is being affected.

all be it i have been doing dry wall on me own. on the first operation my shoulder lost all feeling. it was the auxiliary nerve that was damaged. it lasted 8 weeks.

honestly think this is the root cause of all this. standard pain relief does not help. it is neurological and not muscular.

on a happy note last friday occupational health meeting sided in my favour at work. this means i can work a standard week only and not forced to work over time on emergencies..

this still doesnt resolve the problem. i have even thought of taking 2 weeks off and resting it in me brace its that bad now.

colin

• Edited

how the heck are you hanging drywall? yikes.

Colin you have had a difficult 2 years. sometimes when our livelihood is threatened from injuries it also means a loss of our expectations of part of our future and a loss of normal daily exectations of ourselves. grieving that loss can involve a lot of different reactions that we normally will not experience. check to see of you can see a therapist to help you cope . sending blessings ur way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.