Thinking about getting off celexa but o am terrified

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, i have been on celexa 20 mg for 20 years mostly for anxiety. i am married now and working and am stable. i worry a lot about the medication effecting my heart and have had heart palps off and on especially day after having wine. i am wondering if anyone has had success coming off celexa?? i have heard the drug actually changes your brain chemistry over time and becomes reliant on the drug. Have been considering getting pregnant and would like to get off but am really scared any info would be great thanks:)

0 likes, 44 replies

Report / Delete

44 Replies

• Posted

From everything ive learned from the most trusted on this forum, it is very achievable. The key to success is tapering very slowly. Cut dosage from 20 to 15 to 10 and so on. Give tourself time to adjust to each dosage brfore tapering down to the next dosage. Could be 3-4 weeks for each stage. @katecogs is probably the most reliable although there are others who are really helpful also. As far as permanent changes to your brain, I'm unsure. Ive read several success stories on here. Good luck to you

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

okay, yea ive also heard taper slowly but i have had drs tell me to just stay on it indefinantly so i am confused as to weather i need it or not, as i was pretty much non functional before. but that was a long time ago. Thanks for the reply!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kelly, it sounds like you are doing well on Celexa which is probably why the doctors are saying stay on it. Regarding affecting the heart, I have read that its the higher dosages which can be dangerous for the elderly. If they are working for you what about reducing to a lower dose and staying on that, there are people on this forum that do well on lower dosages of 10mg for example. Whatever you decide, the slower the better and tapering at small amounts is the best way to come off this. Well worth speaking to your doctor regarding your health concerns to put your mind at rest.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi there thank you for the reply ! i have been doing well. I just have a hard time w taking a pill everyday and always being concerned about what I can take with it and what I have to be careful of like caffeine alcohol cold medicines muscle relaxers I’ve had a horrible interactions with all of these things so i considered going down to 10 mg last year. i got the pill cutter and everything. i started having so much anxiety about "rocking the boat" and scared of what the w drawals might be, that i decided that i wasnt a good time for me... my brother has had some of the same issues that I’ve had and has been on SSRIs for a long time to he decided that he was going to get off of them did well for a year and then all of his anxiety and depression came back and when he went to get back on the SSRI he found that nothing would help him so he struggled for years trying to find something that would give him some relief. I realize we are two different people but that is always in the back of my mind when I go to start titrating down on medication

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

messing with an already good thing is a no bueno for me.do the benefits outweights what you described?thats the question you gotta ask yourself.nobody on this or any forum can make that decision for you 20years is a long time to decide what the outcome could be?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

messing with an already good thing is a no bueno for me.do the benefits outweights what you described?thats the question you gotta ask yourself.nobody on this or any forum can make that decision for you 20years is a long time to decide what the outcome could be?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Regarding anxiety and depression coming back, there is lots of information on the internet about this very thing, including doctors being too quick in assuming that its come back, instead of recognising that it could be withdrawal symptoms. I had terrible withdrawal coming off these as went cold turkey (dont recommend) and after 9 weeks am med free, and over the worst. Am thinking that in my situation when I felt at my worst, I know for a fact that if the doctors medicated me, I would not be in the good place I am now.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi kelly, im currently down to 6mg xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up