Thinking about IUD (Mirena)

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on BC for about 9 years give or take (I'm 26), and was first on the pill (Yaz), did take about a year off that to see what would happen if I stopped hormonal BC since I use(d) it only for period control, not for contraception.

For the past year I've been on the Nuvaring, which I really like, but I'm thinking about switching to Mirena for a few reasons. 

1) Although I have an app on my phone that tells me when to switch my ring I sometimes worry that I'll forget about it.

2) Because of #1, I want something that I don't have to worry about, and my doctor doesn't do the implant because of her research and bad experiences with it.

3) While BC is still covered for me, who knows what will happen with healthcare? Better to be covered for the next 5 years than quite possibly have no way to pay.

I've done some research, both by reading online and by talking to a few friends who have it, and it seems like a good option for me. Ideally, I like my BC to stop my periods altogether, which has mostly worked by just taking in continuously -- about every 3-4 months my body decides it needs to have a period whether I like it or not so I just stop for that week since I'll have spotting in the days before so I know it's coming, and I'm alright with that. What I'm not alright with is my body's natural course of action which is irregular and very heavy, painful periods...so even if the Mirena didn't stop my period, it should lighten it, right? Cause I saw it's approved for helping heavy periods. And it should keep me pretty regular too.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about it, but she'll probably think that it's the best course of action for me right now. When I switched to the ring last year it was between that and Mirena, and we basically agreed that I would try whatever I chose for a year and then reevaluate.

What are your thoughts on Mirena?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The Mirena IUD secretes hormones which will kind of "take over" your normal hormone levels in your body, due to which your periods will get lighter, if they do not stop, although it is most likely that they will. 

• Posted

Yes, I've been on hormonal BC since I was about 16/17, save one year when I decided to see what would happen if I went off it (which wasn't so pleasant which is why I went back on)...and for the past year I've been on the ring which secretes the hormones very close to the source. If I didn't take it continuously I'd have periods, but short and light ones.

Do you have an IUD?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.