Thinking about the Urolift procedure. Should I do it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just wrote my questions and concerns to Charles, but would like to hear help from anyone who has been through the procedure and can answer my questions and concerns.

I'm 65 years old. Been taking Flomax for several years after having extreme urgency issues and then poor urine flow. The Flomax mostly helps me pee stronger, but the urgency is still there and the feeling I'm completely empty afterwards is there. Another big problem is the Flomax kills my good orgasms and ejaculation, because it relaxes the prostate.

So, I wondering if anyone thinks I would be better off getting the procedure. The doctor said the procedure may not reduce urgency, or the feeling of not being empty, and didn't know about how it would effect my orgasms. He said my ass/rectum would hurt for while after the procedure and it could be 3 months to recover.

If anyone can address all these issues, before I make my decision; I would appreciate it.

Glenn

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

have you thought about CiC ? its extremely easy and painless and will ensure you empty properly .

• Posted

Doctors are reluctant to, and will not guarantee results for any procedure that is available. Individual success varies widely and there are many procedure options available which make it a difficult decision.

I am post five weeks the Rezum procedure and am experiencing positive results, but it is still way to early to evaluate the outcome.

I find this format a valuable reference, but not a substitute for professional medical treatment.

Good luck to you Glenn and keep researching for information that will make you comfortable with your decision.

• Posted

I agree with dcooper

Try CIC -It is easy to learn and carries a GUARANTEE- you will be empty each time and you can toss those drugs. Actually you wont get that sort of guarantee for urolift or any other procedure. This forum is full of failed procedures of all types. There is lots here on technique and catheters and the internet has videos.

Good luck

GREG

• Posted

Only failures need report what has happened the rest are just getting on with their lives again

• Posted

i had urolift done about 2 years ago. Had some urinary bleeding and after lots of tests it turned out to be bladder stones. Dr said it was caused by retaining too much urine which in turn was caused by bph. 69 cc prostate. Had stones removed and urolift done at same time. So far it has worked pretty well. However i didnt have a lot of problems before procedure other than some

limited bleeding and slow flow because of bph. Recovery was not bad. Felt good after2-3 weeks. Flow was great at first. Not as good now but still lots better than pre op.

Was never on meds for bph and im still not. Have had 2 uti's in 2 years . OTther than that no issues. Everyone is different though.. Maybe I've been lucky so far. I kind of think

this will help for awhile but BPH will progress and eventually will need something else. Who knows as we get older what health issues will crop up. Good luck to you with your decision

TOM C

• Posted

Glenn. i was in total retention in june, had a urolift in late june. after 4 more days with a catheter while the swelling from the operation went down, they finally removed the catheter. since then, i have not had problems peeing or ejaculating. its been great for me. lots of pain for 24 hours after operation though, so make sure you're out and have some painkillers. also make sure the doctor has done the procedure more than 10 times. my dr had the most in our area (32 if i remember correctly). not on flomax or any drug since then. i still have to watch alcohol consumption though. if i have one drink i'm fine, but if i have three drinks, i usually have a difficult night.

• Posted

Key thing is the size of your prostate. Urolift is better suited to smaller prostates and PAE better suited to large. A median lobe is not good for either procedure although and adapted urolift (medlift) can now be done on a median lobe.

There should be no effect on sexual function.

I had Urolift done 5 months ago and still have some continual residual pain in the pelvic floor region all the time from the procedure; something I was not warned about or is listed as an expected side effect. Its not too bad but not great either. Flow is improved somewhat but not by a huge extent. I still have a lot of urine retention; 260ml when last measured in January. So Urolift helps and may have bought me some time but for me it doesn't seem a huge success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.