Thinking I have another PE even though I'm taking Eliquis.

Posted , 4 users are following.

like the title says, I felt this today while at work, first it was a bit of nausea followed by chest tightness, then once I got home I felt fine save for a slightly elevated heart rate and increased anxiety. I'm in no way short of breath or have any pain. should this b

e happening even though I'm taking an anticoagulant? has anyone else had this happen?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

you are giving yourself anxiety thinking about all these things. i became very anxious about mine last year and decided to alleviate this i should go to A&E to be checked. Overkill, yes it was. i was examined thoroughly, advised that being on anticoagulant meds would be protecting me and reassured all was well. just a few tests, a short visit and of course i was alright.i can only tell you my story and hope you can reassure yourself or pay a short visit. by the way the way not to go is GP as they cannot test in this instance, depends how bad you feel. hope this helps

• Posted

I dont feel that bad though, but I can feel my heart beat and I feel discomfort there, plus I feel hot flashes and cold flashes sometimes. when I take my pulse however my pulse is slightly elevated but it isnt 100-150 and I'm not gasping for breath. I'd go to the hospital again but I'm already strapped for cash trying to pay off a previous hospital bill from when I had my bilateral PE's treated. I'm 27 years old.

• Posted

sounds like you are doing ok, still no deterioration so anxiety i think. you know when its a pe, the breathing is so bad.

• Posted

yeah, the discomfort and heart palps are just about gone, when I first found out I had bilateral PEs it was the rapid heart rate that I felt first, then shortness of breath. that's why I was worried a bit at first.

• Posted

i have to say that there really have been no problems with post pe now five years, we worry about it i think. i cannot get rid of the anxiety if you are able to it will help you. i am on warfarin so hope that keeps the possibility down as consultant seemed to do that on regular basis.

• Posted

doc seems convinced its IBS that im dealing with. we'll see how things go.

• Posted

I had an odd feeling towards the end of work a day ago, like something was caught in my chest, after that I had heart palpitations and chest tightness which has lasted until today. Another odd thing is the fact that part of my left thumb's lunula now has a faint mark on it, like it's missing part of it.

• Edited

I understand exactly what you're experiencing. I felt PE symptoms regularly over 6 months post-PE that sent me to the ER several times. I also was anxious and hyper-vigilant (internet browsing) about pains, breathing pattern, etc. and that eventually settled down. What I learned is...better safe than sorry about checking out symptoms with your doctor, until you learn what's "normal" for you; it takes time for our bodies to heal from a PE, so pains do linger & some may stay; finding ways to relax your mind and body will help considerably, as well as moving and staying hydrated.

I'm now 14 months post-PE and I felt awful the first 6 months, but life is good now and I feel "normal" again. Hope this helps.

• Posted

its warmer out now and im starting to make walking a regular activity, but recently ive been feeling a discomfort in the middle of my abdomen, just below my ribs after feeling an ache in my left leg. and today i felt the discomfort in my abdomen go away but now its spread to my left arm and left pec. im still taking eliquis but i cant help but shake the feeling that i have DVT or something going on in my legs. i go to the doctors tomorrow, thankfully.

• Posted

Nausea and abdominal pain are common side effects. I got gastritis and oesophagitis after I was on blood thinners. I was really paranoid my clots were back but it was an upper gi problem. Ask your doctor about this and ask if they think you may need ppi tablets. The most effective is esomeprazole. Are you experiencing acid reflux or bad indigestion? This may be what is causing your symptoms. When you get off the blood thinners and if you are still experiencing pain, you may need an endoscopy.

• Posted

i dont think im ever going to be off blood thinners, but yes, indigestion and reflux, along with the bloating. im starting to take fiber and probiotic supplements now

• Posted

Ask your doctor about PPI tablets if you are not coming off the blood thinners because you will be prone to stomach problems which can get bad if left untreated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.