Thinking of going back taking zoloft at night

Posted , 6 users are following.

The first night I took Zoloft it kept me awake so I switch to mornings. Been on it only for 3 weeks 50 mg. I want to see about taking at night now since I do better taking pills at night. Has anyone had insomnia in the beginning and then switch to nights and now you can sleep well?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am on day 17 and have taken it at night (around 9pm) since I started. The first week I would get to sleep ok but then wake around 1am and lie awake for hours. I now sleep every night from 11pm until 6am without waking. Or if I do wake I get straight back to sleep. I find that taking the med at night means I sleep through a lot of the side effects. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi there! how are you?

I was in the same position as you. Im 8 weeks on sert now, 50mg for first week, 100mg for another couple of weeks, and now on 150mg for last 4/5 weeks.

The first week or so on sert all i did was sleep and eat, (it was great lol) but then the insomnia kicked in, what a nightmare that was, it probably lasted about 3 weeks for me, and it was horrible, i tried everything to sleep nothing worked.

Like you i tried taking my sertaline in the morning, but nothing! it didn't make a difference, tried taking it at mid day, same, tried taking it at 5 o'clock, nope! tried 7.37pm no luck! basically for me anyway it didn't seem to make any difference when i took it, i just had insomnia and that was that! But it did pass, as i said, mine lasted about 3 weeks, but now im sleeping much better, and falling asleep easy enough, thank goodness, i feel your pain. so it will pass, you gotta just go with it and hang in there, that's how i coped with it, i just reminded myself that it would pass, and it did. Although, don't take my experience as red, as everyone is different and i know some people have started to sleep better after changing to morning time dose. so yeah give it a go, it might help with the insomnia.

I did find tho, well i don't know if it made a big difference or not, but whatever time i decided to take it i started to feel better when i kept it to pretty much the same time every day, regardless what time that was, i now take it at 9.30 every morning and try to stick very close to that time.

Hope this helps in some kinda way? Also, by the way, im week 8 now, and this past week im starting to feel a lot better, pritty much all the side effects have gone or are going, and im starting to feel much more positive and more like my old self again, so it seems to be starting to work for me. So hang in there, it will get better.

Wishing you all the best, and your not alone with this, were all going through it.

take care G

• Posted

P.S I also find it helps if i go to bed around the same time every night, kinda training my self to sleep at the same time, if that makes any sense.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm in third week. I asked my Dr if maybe she should increase my dose. I'm thinking I know why I get a lot more anxiety it's from not sleeping enough. I'm only getting about 3 hours a night. My Dr did want me to take it at night to sleep off the side effects. My side effects are pretty much gone except for lack of sleep. She suggested doing a .5 or .25 klonopin at night for sleep which I haven't done since last Thursday. I'm able to fall asleep on my own now which before I was on zoloft I couldn't I had to take a pill to go to sleep. Now my biggest problem is when I go to bed it takes me several hours to fall asleep. It's usually close to midnight and then I'm awake at 3am. I usually fall back to sleep but it's real short. I'm nervous about switching to nights but I want to see how I do. Taking it in the morning doesn't really make me sleepy.

• Posted

YES!! I used to take mine in the morning as that's what the doctor advised and I had read it can keep you awake etc.

However I'm the total opposite, I take them at night and they work so much better for me, they help me sleep and I wake up calmer.

I'm wk12 - 150mg xxxx

• Posted

Did you have any problems with sleep in the beginning? I've had insomnia way before I started zoloft. The first time didn't make me sleepy. I've switched to mornings and I'm tired all day. I'm in my third week. I guess I could try taking it tomorrow evening.

• Posted

Hi kelly. how are you? i just noticed you said your on week 12 now, how are you feeling? im on week 8 150mg, and startting to notice a  improvement with my depression and anxiety, is it the same for you?
    • Posted

100% improvement. I'm just about to start a new job and move in the next 4 weeks so highly stressful for anyone and I'm pretty 'chilled'. So they are definitely making a huge difference x

• Posted

I have always loved sleep but can be a nightmare sufferer so that was one of the reasons they advised I take them in the morning.

However I definitely was so tired the first 3 to 4 weeks to the point where I was napping in the toilet at work mid afternoons. I definitely have come out the other side of that now. I still need lots of sleep but find the taking a night seems to help with my body clock xx

• Posted

Thats great! I hope i go the same way, i am noticing an improvement at week 8, so looking forward to week 12 now smile Thanks.P.s if you need a hand moving some boxes, gimme a shout! lol smile
    • Posted

Kelly I'm inspired by your feeling 100% better !!! So happy for you!! May I ask how long you've been on it ? 

Thank you you so much smile

• Posted

Hi Acferro!

Just taking some news?

How is it going with zoloft?

Do you sleep better? Less anxiety?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.