Thinking of stopping Fluoxetine.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am on day 17. 11 days at 10mg and 6 days at 20mg. I feel so panicky and like I’m jumping out of my skin. Lots of crying and WORSE than before I started this. Any advice? I really don’t think I can stand it much more. I haven’t been to work or be able to drive.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi rylee- I experienced the same thing, unfortunately. sad 

I wasn’t strong enough to stick it out. The no sleep was debilitating. I couldn’t even cry... only made it 3 days. I just said a quick prayer for you.

• Posted

Hi Jill,

I understand what you mean about Prozac. Except for me it was nausea caused by Prozac. It gave me more energy but the anxiety was there with the nausea and no sleep.

I decided to stop and had to go back on 10 mg of cipralex. I was on 20, but its never worked for me so I'm putting myself on 10 and eventually just want to quit. I'm still so nauseous from the Prozac because it takes forever to get out of the system.

The only thing all these drugs have done is stopping me from being emotional - so being on 10 mg of Cipralex has let me bawl my eyes out at my anxiety.

You're strong with or without these drugs, and I hope we're able to find some peace and finally end these battles.

• Posted

When I went from 10mg to 20 after 1 month, I wasn't think I would go through side effects again for a bit until I got use to the increase, but I did.  The panicky you describe, I went through that too, mostly on my job, I would calm myself down with breathing and smelling essential oil.  Its gotten less and less, but I can still feel it start to come on, I have a few more weeks before the 20mg increase is good and in my system.  I say hang in there if you can, I went day by day and basically "willed myself" to push on. Best wishes    

• Posted

Thank you Kimberly. I’m staying strong and pushing through and just taking it day by day. Was really ready to give up yesterday x
  • Posted

It tough, you have to try to take every day as a new day and forget about the day before if it was a bad one.

You are still early on the meds and you will have good and bad days over the next few weeks.  If the meds are going to work for you, usually about 6-8 weeks you will notice that you feel slightly better and you are not as caught up with stuff.

Make sure you do as much as you can other than the tablets to feel better.  Meds are great but are hard with side effects.  Hang in there, but also

Read self help books

Exercise

Mediate  -  TAKES TIME TO GET THIS BUT 5-10 MINS A DAY EVERY DAY REALLY CAN HELP 

Take Cold Showers  - This may sound crazy and is really hard at the start but i now take 5 min showers every day as cold as i can get it and make a massive difference to mood.  If i feel bad i even take an extra cold shower before bed as helps sleep.

Get your sleep sorted.  THIS IS SO IMPORTANT 

Eat healthy

Take supplements (a good high grade fish oil, vit d, multi vitamin)

These can help along side your meds, but research these first online to see the benefits and if for you or not.

I have been where you are and please to say that i have been off the tablets now for 2 weeks and feeling great 80% of the time.  

i have kept all of the above going as these things help.

Dont just rely on the tablets. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your informative response and taking the time. Much appreciated x
    • Posted

Hi Rylee, 

I have been on Fluoxetine for upwards of 15 years now at various doses. I do recall feeling extra jittery/restless when I started. However, it did go away. Therefore, I would recommend that you stick it out as bad as it may seem right now - it will get better. The other thing you can consider is having your doc prescribe some kind of benzo (e.g. lorazopam or clonazepam) to take until the prozac effect kicks in. I have been on other SSRIs (incl. Effexor, Paxil, Zoloft) and I must say that Prozac was the best for me - my issue is anxiety which, once triggered, can't get back under control and leads to depression. Anyway - I just wanted to encourage you b/c starting any type of antidepressant is nerve-racking. I was actually prescribed Remeron (15mg) recently to take with my Fluoxetine but couldn't tolerate it - was very sleepy in mornings until about 11am so I discontinued. I'm sharing this info b/c, unfortunately, not all antidepressants work the same way for everyone. However, I do think Fluoxetine is very good and would like to encourage you to try and tough it out. If your problem is panic disorder, this med works so try to keep at it. Best of luck and you're not alone. Happy to hear you are fighting to get better. Keep it up! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.