Thinking of switching from mirtazapine to citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

A little history

I have suffered anxiety and depression previously.

about 4 years ago, i was prescribed venlafaxine 75 mg after 1 day on sertraline, induction was horrible (Restless and trouble sleeping and other typical side effects) and on going side effects weren't great . I was on them for about 8 months and withdraw by tapering slowly.

About 2 years ago i went on to Citalopram for about 8 months 15 mg. I suffered with pretty bad side effects for the first 3 months, i had a dose increase in that time, and come off again by tapering.

I have been on mirtazapine for 12 weeks due to depression , anxiety and not sleeping. The depression and anxiety started again mainly from work stress, but then i get anxiety from things in my past which come around again when the anxiety and depression start again.

I realise that i am going to have to be on something for quite a bit longer this time.

I went on mirtazapine due to them being good for sleep and perseved lower side effects than citalopram. I went on cit the last time due to the venlafaxine start up side effects.

I think that I am pretty sensitive to AD side effects.

My anxiety increased when i first went on mirtazapine, 15 mg, for a couple of weeks and then seemed to get better, but not resolved. After about 5 weeks i increased to 22.5 as the anxiety was still there and mood was not improved. I sleep ok and definitely get to sleep ok ( about 10pm) but am now waking at about 5 am and am taking longer to get to sleep. I don't feel too groggy, but don't feel great during the day but have no appetite and anxiety is increasing again. my mood is still low.

I am wondering what to do.

Is it worth increasing to 30mg , or is it likely that anxiety will increase further with a higher dose.

Should I decrease back to 15 mg but will that not be enough to beat the anxiety and increase mood .

Should back to citalopram as it seemed to work last time but the side effects were pretty bad for 12 - 13 weeks, ( diarrhea and restlessness feeling foggy and some difficulty sleeping, i think i felt pretty fluey for a while too) I'm not sure i want to go back to that but realise that i may not have a choice.

The curent dose of Mirtazapine 22.5mg isnt doing what i want it to and am still anxious (m smoking a lot more cigarettes at the moment) .

Will i have to come off Mirt for a while before switching to Citalopram or can a cross taper be done. Is that likely to horrid also. has anyone had experience of this switch.

I want to get myself settled and sorted out on something that I could take for a bit longer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or thoughts.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

sorry forgot to say, I have pretty bad diarrhea on the mirtazapine too.

the side effects of mirtazapine seem less but it doesn't seem to work as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.