Thinking of switching from mirtazapine to prozac

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have been struggling with mirtazapine for a really long time now and am thinking of switching to prozac.

Has anyone else done this and was it successful? Also did you just stop the mirtazapine immediately when you started the prozac or was there some sort of crossover period. Seeing as they have different half lives.

all comments welcome.

Thanks,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy, Words of advice from an old bloke. Make sure you have a good doctor, if so do exactly as advised, don't allow yourself to take drugs other than no other alternative. Drugs are poisons to be avoided if at all possible. Best wishes John.

• Posted

Hi,

I switched from mirtazapine to prozac a few months ago.   I felt that the mirtazapine had pooped, all my old symtoms were back so I asked my doctor for a different anti depressant, and she gave me prozac.   I have to be honest, I slept a lot better with mirtazapine, but a lot of the usual depression symptoms have gone, so  I will stick with it for a time.   My g.p. emphasized that I had to wean myself off mirtazapine over the course of a month, when I eventually stopped I took a small dose of prozac straight away.   I stayed on that for a month or so, and now take two a day.   My g.p. told me on no account to have an overlap, stop one before taking the other.   Hope this helps, good luck

Madeleine.

• Posted

My soon both.  He was on Prozac (Fluoxetine) and was also prescribed Mirtazapine a few months after and he took both throughout his recovery.  So I don't think there'll be a problem if taking both together in the crossover.

K x

• Posted

SON not soon ?!?!  rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.